LED Lighting Info Needed - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LED Lighting Info Needed

I searched and read several long threads and didn't come out of them with clear answers. Plus they were several year old threads.
I have a 14' NRS. Have new bars on the way and plan to relocate new LED signal to the forks. I may double up and have them on the bars as well.
In the back, moving the license plate to the side. The tail light will be one of the flexible styles that will mount under the lip of the rear fender. The signal lights will either be on the upper shock mounts, the ends of the swing arms, or both as I may double up there as well.

I will replace the headlight as well but waiting until I get the rest of the bike done to see what style will go with the new look of the bike.

So, the questions I have are this:

1) What type of load equalizer will I need to handle all my lights being swapped to LED?

2) Can I simply wire in parallel two sets of signal lights on each side? Example: Rear Running/Signal lights on both the upper shock mount and end of swing arm?

3) In the rear, I want the signal lights to stay on as running lights and then flash turning signals. Is that a simple 3 wire(dual intensity) LED I'm looking for?

I am planning to cut the plus off the factory rear lights and splice onto the new lights so they just plug into the factory wire harness.
Swing arm if off the bike right now so will pull wire through it before reinstalling. Will pull 5 wires on the left and 3 on the right. Left 5 will be 3 wires for the signal light, and 2 wires for the license plate light.
Am I thinking clearly?
IRON MAIDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 04:53 AM   #2
killerVRod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I would wait to get the load equalizer because with the newer bikes you sometimes don't need it. I have a feeling you will, but you may not. The biketronics BT-801v plugs in to all the factory harnesses and is a great unit. You can just wire the leds in parallel. You are not going to find any 3 wire leds but there are simple dual intensity circuits for around $7 a light. You have to get ones based on how many leds are in the array. I would tuck this under the seat. If you go sidemount make sure to find the thread about fishing the wire through the swingarm.

To do the upper shock mounts realize that the shocks on the 14 do not have a spacer between the shock and the frame. It looks like it does but it is built into the shock. So the mounts have to go on the outside of the shock. There are some cool under fender mounts for the 14 though. I make the mounts and sell a bunch of different LED setups. You can check my site at https://www.alteredstatedesign.net/ for what I sell or you can email me directly at keithmcelhinney@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

-Keith

Past : Custom Lapis Blue V-Rod (Rick's 240 Lector wheel setup,chrome swingarm,Rizoma bars,signal relocators,LED rear lights,V-mod pipes,Custom cut sidemount plate,11.5" SmoothRide shocks,spike grips,Custom cut mirrors, 3" tribal forward controls)
killerVRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
donk
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerVRod View Post
I would wait to get the load equalizer because with the newer bikes you sometimes don't need it. I have a feeling you will, but you may not. The biketronics BT-801v plugs in to all the factory harnesses and is a great unit. You can just wire the leds in parallel. You are not going to find any 3 wire leds but there are simple dual intensity circuits for around $7 a light. You have to get ones based on how many leds are in the array. I would tuck this under the seat. If you go sidemount make sure to find the thread about fishing the wire through the swingarm.

To do the upper shock mounts realize that the shocks on the 14 do not have a spacer between the shock and the frame. It looks like it does but it is built into the shock. So the mounts have to go on the outside of the shock. There are some cool under fender mounts for the 14 though. I make the mounts and sell a bunch of different LED setups. You can check my site at https://www.alteredstatedesign.net/ for what I sell or you can email me directly at keithmcelhinney@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

-Keith
Keith,

I'm strongly considering your LED Fender Eliminator Kit for my 12 Night Rod Special. A little torn between dual and single row. Thinking single as I'm worried dual may be too much. Do you have any other pics of both?
donk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Quote:

-Keith
Thanks for the reply Keith. This is Randy, I am the one who asked if you could make me the straight(zero offset) foot peg mounts. Never heard back so figured it wasn't worth your time.
I am in the middle of installing a new airbox cover, rear fender/seat, Arnott shocks, custom bars.......
I know the Arnotts have spacers so I should be fine. I had looked at that Biketronics unit $$$$
But will get it if needed.
I may hit you up for advice when needed! LOL I also plan to upgrade the headlight once the rest of the work is done. Want to see how the bike looks with the new bars before deciding on a light. Although the adaptive one sure sounds awesome.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
killerVRod
Registered Full

Donk I don't have many pics of that other than what is on the site. I haven't sold the dual row one so I definitely don't have more pics of that. I think the single is plenty personally.

Randy I totally dropped the ball on your stuff. I am really sorry. It has been a crazy spring just trying to keep up with everything. I sent you an email.

-Keith

Past : Custom Lapis Blue V-Rod (Rick's 240 Lector wheel setup,chrome swingarm,Rizoma bars,signal relocators,LED rear lights,V-mod pipes,Custom cut sidemount plate,11.5" SmoothRide shocks,spike grips,Custom cut mirrors, 3" tribal forward controls)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
donk
Registered Full

Quote:
Donk I don't have many pics of that other than what is on the site. I haven't sold the dual row one so I definitely don't have more pics of that. I think the single is plenty personally.

Randy I totally dropped the ball on your stuff. I am really sorry. It has been a crazy spring just trying to keep up with everything. I sent you an email.

-Keith
Mainly was hoping to see one with the light off (not iluminated) with the smoked lens. Do you have any of that or can you take any?
donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
killerVRod
Registered Full

Whoops. Just updated the site with the pic. Sorry about that!

Old 04-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
ryandoubleu
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
I searched and read several long threads and didn't come out of them with clear answers. Plus they were several year old threads.
I have a 14' NRS. Have new bars on the way and plan to relocate new LED signal to the forks. I may double up and have them on the bars as well.
In the back, moving the license plate to the side. The tail light will be one of the flexible styles that will mount under the lip of the rear fender. The signal lights will either be on the upper shock mounts, the ends of the swing arms, or both as I may double up there as well.

I will replace the headlight as well but waiting until I get the rest of the bike done to see what style will go with the new look of the bike.

So, the questions I have are this:

1) What type of load equalizer will I need to handle all my lights being swapped to LED?

2) Can I simply wire in parallel two sets of signal lights on each side? Example: Rear Running/Signal lights on both the upper shock mount and end of swing arm?

3) In the rear, I want the signal lights to stay on as running lights and then flash turning signals. Is that a simple 3 wire(dual intensity) LED I'm looking for?

I am planning to cut the plus off the factory rear lights and splice onto the new lights so they just plug into the factory wire harness.
Swing arm if off the bike right now so will pull wire through it before reinstalling. Will pull 5 wires on the left and 3 on the right. Left 5 will be 3 wires for the signal light, and 2 wires for the license plate light.
Am I thinking clearly?
1) What type of load equalizer will I need to handle all my lights being swapped to LED? A lot of people use biketronics. I have both front and rear LED signals and could not get the biketronics load equalizer to work even with their technical assistance. I put some resistors in parallel with each signal yesterday and it worked perfect. I ran the signals for 2 minutes and had no noticeable heat from the resistors. Resistors shouldn't cost more than $5 total.

2) Can I simply wire in parallel two sets of signal lights on each side? Example: Rear Running/Signal lights on both the upper shock mount and end of swing arm? Yes

3) In the rear, I want the signal lights to stay on as running lights and then flash turning signals. Is that a simple 3 wire(dual intensity) LED I'm looking for? alteredstate.com has a great fender eliminator run/turn/brake led
ryandoubleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
joeyvaz
Registered Full

I used New Rage Cycles snap on LED turns seen here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...erName=VigLink

And here is what they look like installed:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...02#post4511602
joeyvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
I used New Rage Cycles snap on LED turns seen here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...erName=VigLink

And here is what they look like installed:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...02#post4511602
Thanks for the reply. 1st, they are discontinued. Plus I want a different look on the front. I plan on some type of fork swap or at least fork covers to give them a beefier look. I still need to research the options on the front end. Whether a fork change is an option or not. I'm not a fan of the stock triple trees on these bikes either. So bland looking. I had planned to go with a different headlight and headlight shroud/fairing so that could end up hiding the trees. The forks, either use covers on them or go with something different.
Will figure out the front flashers at that point but pretty much know they will not be fork mounted in the above way you showed. I plan on different mirrors to go with the new bars and custom levers, so may just go with mirrors with integrated flashers in them.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
selliott5514
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandoubleu View Post
1) What type of load equalizer will I need to handle all my lights being swapped to LED? A lot of people use biketronics. I have both front and rear LED signals and could not get the biketronics load equalizer to work even with their technical assistance. I put some resistors in parallel with each signal yesterday and it worked perfect. I ran the signals for 2 minutes and had no noticeable heat from the resistors. Resistors shouldn't cost more than $5 total.

2) Can I simply wire in parallel two sets of signal lights on each side? Example: Rear Running/Signal lights on both the upper shock mount and end of swing arm? Yes

3) In the rear, I want the signal lights to stay on as running lights and then flash turning signals. Is that a simple 3 wire(dual intensity) LED I'm looking for? alteredstate.com has a great fender eliminator run/turn/brake led

What resistors are being used if you could provide a link or what ohm/wattage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
selliott5514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement