Getting my R on the track - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-01-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting my R on the track

I have contacted several track day organizations and they have all told me that my R isn't welcome on the track for track days. As an ex racer, I have no doubt that keeping up in the novice group won't be a problem, but I am not welcome simply due to the HD logo on the tank. Funny thing is that they will take an XR1200 even though the R will stomp the XR with ease.

Now I have a plan. My Motus is welcome, but let's face it, putting a $45,000 one of a kind bike on the track isn't a good idea for the wallet. It will be great for just going out and cruising around, but not for exploring limits.

What I plan to do is take both bikes. Do a few sessions with the Motus and then claim a mechanical and talk them into letting me do a session with my cruiser R. I'm thinking that is my way to get a foot in the door and have an actual lap time on the R to compare for other track day organizations. Once I can flatly state a time they'll pretty much have to take me. If not, I'll repeat the same process with other organizations.

Either way, It's time to get the R on the track. Being the fly in the punch bowl will be fun.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
tbird113
USMC Tanker

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
More R discrimination in these enlightened times ?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Yep, the most universally outcast bike of all time.
It's not a real HD
It's not a real VROD
It's not a real bike because it is an HD
It's not European
It's not Jap
You can't join our bike show
You can't join our track day

Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
streetrodracer
Registered Full

The R Model ( VR1000 ) returns to the track !

Good plan Mike, I'm impressed that you are looking forward to track days on an R as you drag broken but healing body parts around ! You are another wild man. After my first neck blowout and temporary paralysis I did'nt even ride my WR 250 race bike for 8 months let alone race it , but came back late the next season and still finished up wih a 4th place FTR state championship trophy. 9 years later 2nd neck blowout,78K neck operation. No more track racing for me but plenty of spirited riding. I think you & your R would surprise a LOT of weenie novice & intermediate track " racers " The bike is pretty darn fast and stable but has a longish wheelbase and really kinda heavy - probably best on longer straights, fast tracks with larger corners, like Daytona ? Fit some frame sliders and longer shocks and watch out for weenies that don't know what they are doing - oh and wear all your Michelin man safety gear !
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Knut J
VRSC est -03

You`ll try beatin`the Motus lap time? Promise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
-alan-
Registered Full

I've heard similar reports before. The problem seemed to be concerns about ground clearance and bits dragging when cornering, more than anything else.

Might be worth explaining to them that the R is taller with a much greater lean angle - see if that makes a difference.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

To be clear. I'm not interested in racing. To me a track day is the ability to ride the corners all day and have no cops, no deer, no oncoming traffic, etc. Don't really car if I'm faster or slower than the next guy, my racing days are over.

I tried telling the track day organizers about the R and it fell on deaf ears, hence the Motus plan. No doubt the R will be a dead slow track bike, but I can guarantee it won't be the slowest.

Regarding times vs the Motus. With a top pro rider, the R might keep up with the Motus if the Motus was on a cool down lap, caution flags were waiving, and the Motus had a flat tire.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
TwinOaks
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Fock um, Put different badges on it. Like V-Max or Motus. Most people don't know what the hell the V Rod is anyway, let alone know the R. Or god forbid - Porsche badges?????
TwinOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #9
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Didn't think of the Porsche badge. Maybe then I could run with one of the Euro bike clubs. I'm sold. Where do I get some? Does the kit come with a sticker to cover the airbox lid logo?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #10
TwinOaks
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
Didn't think of the Porsche badge. Maybe then I could run with one of the Euro bike clubs. I'm sold. Where do I get some? Does the kit come with a sticker to cover the airbox lid logo?
Buy a cheap lid and do it up like a do-all Ducati!
TwinOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
streetrodracer
Registered Full

VR 1000 looking fuel tank wanted for Mike in ATL !

Funny stuff camflauging an R Model for a track day ! Obviously the proper camo is the look of an original VR1000 - google up some photos, toss the airbox lid, fit a fake VR looking fuel tank and get it looking close - tell 'em you got a pre-production mule from a bike museum - you will have them convinced pretty easy most won't remember a 1994/95 Harley race bike. I'm not convinced the R would be that slow but the wheelbase is 12 inches !!! longer than the VR 1000 so deliberate turning would be required - it ain't gonna fall into corners. The first time I did some L-R 85 mph sweepers on my R I almost went off the road - the combo of couch wheelbase and low C.G. took much more handlebar effort and lean than my Triumph 900 Since then '07 R Handlebars, fork work and getting used to leaning way down low the bike corners OK but coming down from a hundred plus mph into a track corners ? Adjust speed accordingly, no Hero stuff. At least you won't have the problem of the front wheel lofting all the time like the Motus Mike !
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

The R turns like a battleship, but also shares the battleship's stability. You could almost take a nap at full lean, so the only real speed difference from street is hanging off to get a bit more speed without dragging parts. I have never hung off my R, so I don't even know if I'd get a knee down. We'll know by the end of this summer though. I'll bet one track day takes out the cobras though.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
-alan-
Registered Full

Thing I'd be worried about most on track would be boiling the fluid in the front brakes if you started to hustle any way seriously.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

Good point and we'll see. Throw in some fresh DOT 4 and let it happen. Even if it does I won't be upgrading the brakes.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
Good point and we'll see. Throw in some fresh DOT 4 and let it happen. Even if it does I won't be upgrading the brakes.
Motul or ATE is a cheap fix to that problem.

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement