MS-BikeTec rear fender/seat/Arnott...... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MS-BikeTec rear fender/seat/Arnott......

Finally getting started on some upgrades. Was gonna wait until done and post all at once, but said screw it as I already have questions to get me through the project. LOL

To start, bike is a 14' NRS. Have had it since Oct' I believe.
My plan is to change the front/rear fenders, airbox cover, bars, headlight, rotors, grips, pegs.... the list goes on.
For now, I have the MS-Biketec MS-Flat 260 rear fender and seat pan. Just ordered the Arnott adjustables today from Rob at HogPro. FYI, Rob was awesome to talk to and order from. In stock and shipping today so should have them Wed.
My dilemma right now is on the airbox cover. I'm just about settled on the MS-Biketec "MS-Bull" airbox.
http://www.ms-biketec.de/shop/harley...ecial?c=628?c=

I say dilemma only because I'm not sure if I need to wait until I have the airbox on to be able to finish up with the rear fender and seat. Or if I'm fine using the factory airbox cover to mock it all up.
As it stands, the steel rear inner fender has been trimmed to fit and the side supports have been cut so the support can be bent/angled down. When the desired angle is met, the side support gets welded back up and painted. Will wait for the Arnotts and maybe the airbox cover too before adjusting the angle of the support/fender.

Before I post the pics of my progress, a quick review.
MS-BikeTec: In Germany so there is a delay in communication. But stayed in contact with me and answered my questions. Paying was a pain as they will only take a Bank cashiers check and I was responsible for fees on both ends. Ended up costing me a bit more than I was expecting. Took a couple weeks to get to me and there is ZERO tracking along the way. But it arrived safely. Quality is great.
Only knock, their instructions. In German and the photos suck. They were no help so I'm winging it for the most part. Couldn't find any installs online with this fender, and not a lot of other brands either. What I did find is they all install pretty much the same way so I just dove in.

My 1st question will be on the last photo.

Lots of crap to have to fit back in.

IRON MAIDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Hopefully this will help someone else down the road.

MS-BikeTec's instructions had measurements for the cuts. I tried my best to keep as much of the side support as possible. I want it to still be able to handle a second ass up there. I don't ride two up but I still want the option down the road.

The nuts that are tacked on the inner fender needed to be removed. The instructions showed nothing and the bolts that thread into the fender also thread into these nuts. I chose to remove them, simple enough.

Now it fits.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Here you can see the cut in the side support.(white hand) The instructions show a 3mm-5mm segment be cut here depending on how much the support needs to be angled down.(black hand) So it just gets sliced, bent, welded. Simple enough. Will finish this step when the other parts show up.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

One thing to note. The other fenders I had seen installed, required that the hump on the inner fender be flattened out. Not sure if that is true on all or just some, but this fender was molded with the hump built in so no need. The adjustment is by the above photo. The sides get segmented so that the top can bend down to the desired angle.
Here is how it sits for a few days anyway. I'm gonna work on little stuff while I wait.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Looking good so far ..
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Question 1. Tucked into the cavity under the steel inner fender....... was this little beauty.

Smog? Oil vapor? Can it be relocated, replaced with a smaller type of unit, or simply omitted in some way??? Not sure how I'm gonna fit all this crap in there. I'm gonna need to extend the pigtails on the PCV in order to relocate it to the airbox. May have to do that to a few items in there!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
NRS Eric
Back In Black

Iron: Nice progress so far. enjoying the write up. As you know, I went down this road a few months back. My bike didn't have the black box you show in your last post. My first guess (without looking any further) is that it may be a charcoal canister for CA bikes only. My Dyna had one and it could be safely eliminated (or at least that's what I learned, and did). Not sure where those hoses go, fuel tank?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #8
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

That's what I'm hoping. To be able to remove it! That is valuable space down there.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Well, I ended up not going with the MS-BIKETEC airbox. It is the one I want but they simply won't use any other forms of payment other than an international bank wire. Where I pay both ends of the fees. Ends up being too much work and extra $. So I noticed Ride Hard Rods has a similar cover. Looks to be the same tank but with a flat area molded into the top. I like both, although smooth better. But I can live with it and it gives me some more options on the look. The RHR' cover is called the "Big".
On another note, ordered the Arnotts yesterday from Hogpro. Already have them in my hands! And I will say, super nice packaging and instructions! I will post pics later, but they don't fool around. Every part is packaged and labeled. Very professional!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 AM   #10
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Well, may have screwed myself. Went out to test fit the air compressor in the airbox just to see how it fits. I had forgot how little room there is in there.
Then looking at it, I realized a big problem. I just ordered this airbox!
https://www.ride-hard-rod.com/produc...-soon/?lang=en

It says it comes with a flat top for the air filter. Now the compressor will be taller than the filter which I'm guessing is a problem. Also, the speedo might be right there too. Not sure where it will sit.
Anywhere else to mount the compressor?
And with the flat filter top, guess it means the velocity stacks have to be trimmed down? Hmmmmm
Old 02-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
NRS Eric
Back In Black

Post up a picture of how you have the air-compressor mocked up. As for the flat top on the air filter, mine came with one, and Yes, you have to trim the taller velocity stack to be equal to the shorter one.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #13
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

I will when I get a chance. One thing I did find was that the charcoal canister can be removed. HD sells a resistor plug to delete it and the purge solenoid. Or possible just leave the solenoid in place. More research required.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #14
1mic
Registered Full

^ I just installed the the manifold on the airbox.
1mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:29 AM   #15
IRON MAIDEN
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mic View Post
^ I just installed the the manifold on the airbox.
????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement