12+ NRS worth it over the 08-11? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
jfisher
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
12+ NRS worth it over the 08-11?

I got the ok from the wife to start looking for a NRS. I've researched and looked around for about 2 years now and I've never really seen this question answered.

From what I've seen a good deal on a 08-11 would be from about $7500-8500 for a clean bike. For a 2012 would be any clean bike under $10k.

Are the changes on the 12+ worth the extra $2-2500 minimum difference? I absolutely love the 12+ wheels, but are the other smaller changes worth the extra cost? Anyone owned both and care to comment?
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
GavinD
Registered Full
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 149
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I own a '12 and have ridden several other V-Rods throughout the years.

The wheels are not the biggest improvement. The single biggest improvement the bike received in 2012 was the new front end. The upside-down fork, and the reduced rake angle contribute significantly to the bike not feeling like a big fat pig in the corners. The older big-tire bikes are a bear to lean over into the corners, and require constant and significant force at the bars to stay leaned over. The new fork and rake angle make the bike feel lighter and easier to pilot, and reduce the upper body fatigue that the older bikes can cause after a day of active riding.

Beyond that, the biggest changes are styling. I personally prefer the newer styling to the old one - I always felt the '08-'11 bikes looked kind of droopy, and the '12+ bikes looked much fresher and more muscular, but that's just me.

If your wife wants to ride passenger frequently, the earlier bikes are probably a better choice. There are more seats available, including passenger pillions that are more than just a thin little square of foam. My wife can handle about an hour of riding before she needs a break. An all-day ride is pretty much out of the question for her. For me, I can do 8 hours with some stops, but anything beyond that and it starts to get pretty uncomfortable. It's not an all-day cruiser, and the 12hr ride I did last year convinced me of that. I can't speak to the earlier bikes - I never did a full day's riding on one, only probably an hour or two at a time.

EDIT: To answer your question, it was worth the price difference to me.
__________________
2012 VRSCDX
GavinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
jfisher
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
I own a '12 and have ridden several other V-Rods throughout the years.

The wheels are not the biggest improvement. The single biggest improvement the bike received in 2012 was the new front end. The upside-down fork, and the reduced rake angle contribute significantly to the bike not feeling like a big fat pig in the corners. The older big-tire bikes are a bear to lean over into the corners, and require constant and significant force at the bars to stay leaned over. The new fork and rake angle make the bike feel lighter and easier to pilot, and reduce the upper body fatigue that the older bikes can cause after a day of active riding.

Beyond that, the biggest changes are styling. I personally prefer the newer styling to the old one - I always felt the '08-'11 bikes looked kind of droopy, and the '12+ bikes looked much fresher and more muscular, but that's just me.

If your wife wants to ride passenger frequently, the earlier bikes are probably a better choice. There are more seats available, including passenger pillions that are more than just a thin little square of foam. My wife can handle about an hour of riding before she needs a break. An all-day ride is pretty much out of the question for her. For me, I can do 8 hours with some stops, but anything beyond that and it starts to get pretty uncomfortable. It's not an all-day cruiser, and the 12hr ride I did last year convinced me of that. I can't speak to the earlier bikes - I never did a full day's riding on one, only probably an hour or two at a time.

EDIT: To answer your question, it was worth the price difference to me.
I appreciate the feedback! I, as well, greatly prefer the looks overall of the 12+. Good to know about the suspension. I had a 2007 R1 for a few years and of all the riding I did on it I was never on the bike for more than an hour or so at a time. If I had to guess it will be the same type of riding time with the NRS. The wife does plan to ride often, but it seems the Sundowner seat is extremely difficult to find on any of the 08 and new bikes. Strange to me since there seems to be quite a bit of demand. I definitely need to get a bike with the backrest and luggage rack. I'll probably end up going with a custom seat for myself and the wife. Thanks again!
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
RDT3304
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I own an 11 dx... I was in the same boat as you before and went with the best "deal" while the front end changes do make a big difference, it was a moot point for me as I was coming from a street bike... It was a whole new world basically relearning how to ride. My buddy has a 16 v rod and I rode that and while the changes were noticeable idk if it would be worth the price difference to me. I obviously adjusted from a street bike to a dx and when I ride now it's like 2nd nature being on the dx... That's why I say go for the best deal, unless your riding hard and scraping your pegs everywhere you go, most people aren't going to be putting the inverted forks to good use. Just my 2 cents tho.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
RDT3304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
jfisher
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT3304 View Post
I own an 11 dx... I was in the same boat as you before and went with the best "deal" while the front end changes do make a big difference, it was a moot point for me as I was coming from a street bike... It was a whole new world basically relearning how to ride. My buddy has a 16 v rod and I rode that and while the changes were noticeable idk if it would be worth the price difference to me. I obviously adjusted from a street bike to a dx and when I ride now it's like 2nd nature being on the dx... That's why I say go for the best deal, unless your riding hard and scraping your pegs everywhere you go, most people aren't going to be putting the inverted forks to good use. Just my 2 cents tho.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'm in a similar situation. Started out on a 2005 R6 and moved to a 2007 R1 a year later which I had for a while. LOVED that bike, but lost garage access back then and didn't want it sitting outside so sold it. Now I've got the garage space and need to fill it!
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
RDT3304
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
I'm in a similar situation. Started out on a 2005 R6 and moved to a 2007 R1 a year later which I had for a while. LOVED that bike, but lost garage access back then and didn't want it sitting outside so sold it. Now I've got the garage space and need to fill it!
I honestly love the v rod... You won't be disappointed with whatever choice you make.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
RDT3304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #7
killerVRod
Registered Full
 
killerVRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,877
Images: 15
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
The other big difference is where the footpegs attach. On the pre-2012 bikes the pegs come straight out of the mount. On the 2012+ bikes they have a built in reduced reach that brings the pegs back .75 inches. Now while you may want the extra length, the mount is WAY better on the 2012+ bikes because the controls are held in with a 12mm bolt from the outside not a 6mm (crappy) bolt at the frame. This will be a big deal if you ever decide to put extended reach controls on.

It really matters on price. Would I pay $750 more for a 12? Probably. Would I pay $1k+? probably not.

-Keith
__________________
Present : 2013 NRS with AlteredStateDesign controls,sidemount, lights,headlight holder, sprocket cover, handlebars.

Past : Custom Lapis Blue V-Rod (Rick's 240 Lector wheel setup,chrome swingarm,Rizoma bars,signal relocators,LED rear lights,V-mod pipes,Custom cut sidemount plate,11.5" SmoothRide shocks,spike grips,Custom cut mirrors, 3" tribal forward controls)
killerVRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
jfisher
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerVRod View Post
The other big difference is where the footpegs attach. On the pre-2012 bikes the pegs come straight out of the mount. On the 2012+ bikes they have a built in reduced reach that brings the pegs back .75 inches. Now while you may want the extra length, the mount is WAY better on the 2012+ bikes because the controls are held in with a 12mm bolt from the outside not a 6mm (crappy) bolt at the frame. This will be a big deal if you ever decide to put extended reach controls on.

It really matters on price. Would I pay $750 more for a 12? Probably. Would I pay $1k+? probably not.

-Keith
Good to know, had no idea about that. The difference I've seen is usually around $2k for nice clean, lower mileage examples of each.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/6001694129.html

I love this one in the Sedona Orange, but doesn't have the passenger back rest that I need and it seems they're tough to get:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/6079157058.html
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
donk
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Mt Airy, MD
Posts: 49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those are both good deals. I scored a 2012 a few months ago for just under 10k, with only 930 miles on it.
donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
jfisher
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk View Post
Those are both good deals. I scored a 2012 a few months ago for just under 10k, with only 930 miles on it.
That's the kind of deal I want! If I can find a clean, lower mileage 12+ for under $10k that is what I want.
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum