Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Attention Deficit V-Rod

20K views 128 replies 53 participants last post by  shobbs 
#1 ·
We have been working for a while now on a slammed, chopped, supercharged, nitrous injected V-Rod which is finally coming together. I though I would share the progress on here.

It has been a lot more work (and a lot more $$) than I had originally planned, but it has been fun.

First we started with an Orange SE2, chopped the rear fender and added front and rear slam kits.

The rear swing arm was sealed up and the compressor fed into it using it as a storage tank so that the air rides are pretty instant and there is no need to constantly run the compressor.

See less See more
#97 ·
Nice!

#98 ·
slick

The paint & lines appear very slick.....and make sled appear that it's rapidly moving forward at a greater velocity then actual speed....even at a stop light! :notworth::notworth::notworth:I'm estimating an extra 5 Horses Power with graphics...rock on!
Will you paint "brain buckets" to match?:D

Is "#82" of any significance?

#99 ·
Helmets will eventually be painted to match - wallet has taken a pounding from all this so it might have to be a winter project!

'82 is the wife's year of birth, we wanted a number that we knew identified the bikes as ours we that was what we went for...

#102 ·
2 bikes in a week.. just waiting to put on the number and the clear coat.

Here is that intercooler scoop, almost all done. I know it is definitely a bit "out there" but I have to say I am really pleased.. looks like it is all working out:

#103 ·
I love it! I had been playing around with a hood scoop to fit on the air box cover when I went in another direction - Roadrod. I do love the concept, and the execution is great! I know about the insane cash consumption this causes! Worst part of the build!

#105 ·
Holy Shite that looks good :notworth:

#106 ·
Sorry for the delay.. have been busy at the Smokeout Rally putting this thing through its paces!

She runs and she looks great, but we still have a few glitches to work out. If anyone has any answers then please share them:

Fuel map is bottlenecking at 6000 rpm. spent a whole day on the dyno and she still peaks out at 6000. not sure why and Richard (TTS) is on vacation at the moment, so no answers there.

The AIM clutch is slipping under load. Rapid slip/grip/slip about 4 -5 times on any take off over (approx) 3000 rpms or going WOT too quick. This is really pissing me off as it almost throws you of the bike. Brand new AIM clutch.

The primary cover that Richard had us send him so they could weld a dip stick port on came back and once it was fitted (after $200 in shipping and another $200 in chrome we found there was a hair line crack on the weld seam so we could not use it. Sealed it up with silicone and ordered a muscle cover that should work.

The V&H autoshifter cuts off the fuel temporarily as it upshifts. This is not a momentary disengage to enable the shift - but a total engine cut out that only lasts a second but results in rapid deceleration on each shift. Simply unusable. have read the manual a few times and will keep messing around to see if this can be fixed.

Supercharger is leaking oil. Will have to track it down and plug it up.

Fuel pressure is fluctuating between 7 and 15 psi. Engine surges in idle and cuts out. Probably related to the fuel problems.

Nitrous not tested yet - no point until we can get the fuel map working properly.

A few other problems but I can remember what they are at the moment..

#107 ·
Oh, here is a close up of the scoop.. pleased with how it worked out:

And the pair. No dramas with the chase bike other than the clutch also slipping. This is a slipper clutch not the AIM module, but causing a similar issue.

The D dynoed at 132 rwhp with the nos in 103 degrees. I am sure that we can get it better than that.

#111 ·
Ethan,
Change out the spring clips on the sc oil lines for clamps. Use teflon on traction fluid oil tank cap. Double check all SC bolts and hardware. Mine was cutting out at 8K, and richard is working on a solution. My slipper works great, so no advice on AIM. Richard thinks it is a fuel pump issue, and we can't use the stock one - it consumes too much fuel to keep up. I don't know - but I did 4000 miles so far. Keep an eye on things. As we work out the bugs, I will make sure you know the fix. Please do the same. Joe

#114 ·
Absolutely gorgeous. Awesome work.

#117 ·
supercool, nice work!
Stock Fuel Pressure should be about 3 bar - 45 psi or so. No wonder it leans out.
What kind of tuner do you use for the afr? Is there a rising rate fuel pressure regulator installed? If so, then check the vacuum hoses.
If not then theres something wrong with the fuel pump or the stock fuel pressure regulator.

#119 · (Edited)
airbox

I'm really liking that airbox design.It appears balanced.Hopefully the design does not need to be altered for more air intake.

I'm anxious to see the chase video......but willing to wait for the bugs to be worked out first.

In fact,if that airbox doesn't work out ,I'll buy from you:D . The tall airbox and low rear fender gives the illusion that the seat sits lower then it is.

#122 ·
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

The respect must go to Smoken Joe who worked till 2 am every night for the week before I came home to get them all done and ready to ride. He is keen to get his hands back on them and fix the few issues there are, but the wife and I are hogging them while the sun shines. Yes it was an expensive venture but one thing for sure is that working with an experienced builder can save you money over doing things yourself - we got a lot of discounted prices on parts and services from the fabricator which pretty much saved us as much as Joe's labor (which is already very reasonable!).

Can't wait to see what the final figures are like. At 6000 rpm she is making 115 rwhp without turning on the juice..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.