Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

V rod or Thunderbird?

7K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  FastVRJohnny 
#1 ·
I have a Triumph Speedmaster and would love a Vrod. Also i like the Thunderbird storm,has anyone rode both? If so what is your opinions?
A guy who rides with us has a NightRod and i think it looks sweet but a bit low?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
V is not old school Harley. It's a niche bike so not everyone will like it. A great bike if you like a cruiser but don't want to run out of throttle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
depends on how you like to ride I think. I looked at a Thunderbird (the factory is not too far from me) but ultimately decided on a V-Rod

the Thunderbird is an alternative to a traditional Harley cruiser for sure. Its a bit heavier than a V-rod and not as powerful. It handles well for a cruiser style bike and is reliable. It sounds different to a HD

the V-Rod is something different again.....

Over here in UK the V-Rods hold their value a lot better too, which was another plus point

#13 ·
lots of info on here and V-Rod wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Rod

mostly its styling differences. Engine size went from 1130 to 1250 about 5 years ago, along with back tyre size from 180 to 240

Street Rod had a bit more ground clearance "out of the box"

some models have reduced controls/seats/bars etc so the actual ergonomics of the bike are a little different and may/may not suit depending on your height/leg/arm length

if you really like the look of a particular model and out of the box it dosent fit so well there are many solutions available - thats half the fun of it, customising the bike to suit yourself and how you ride :)

#15 ·
Oh very nice !!

#17 ·
Yes, I have ridden both! The Storm is a kick-ass performing bike and probably more comfortable that the V-Rod.
I liked it a lot. Even tried to buy one, but the local Triumph dealer (now gone I wonder why) never responded to my repeated emails.
I own a NRS now, which is a whole lot better looking that the Triumph, IMHO - and the Storm's performance isn't equal to the V-Rod. But it WILL eat most, if not all, stock Air-Head Harleys.

#19 ·
Personally I'm of course partial to the V-Rod but am a general fan of British bikes and certain of the new Triumph's in particular. Unfortunately the new T'Bird is not one of them. I just can't see the sense of it, nor do I think it an attractive design.

However with that said I understand that just as the V-rod is "Home Product" for me the Triumph is the same for you. There's alot to be said for supporting the home front and keeping the spending and dollars/pounds in there respective homes.

Do what you feel you need to do and enjoy whichever you choose for their own merits.

#20 ·
It all depends what type of riding you will do and ultimately which ones feel better for YOU when you ride them. I test drive the big T Bird last year. It's a fine bike, good build quality, ample power, comfy..but I dunno for me, it did not have the "wow" factor.

Take a look at the pics on my profile.. I am telling the VROD still has the wow factor and it has great power delivery, decent comfort, and is still rather unique. I have a the street rod, so a bit different than than the traditional cruiser. All that being said, check out the victory judge. I test drove that as well, it was also nice. last but not least, the new 2013 moto guzzi 1400, looks very promising.

best of luck

#21 ·
I commute in DC area as well. The Vrod does not offer many commting options, at least that I've found yet. No way to carry a laptop, lunch, etc.
Regarding the Thunderbird; I rode the Thunderbird when they first came out. I can't really recall much about it (I guess that says something about the Thunderbird). I do remember it ran well, and handled fairly well. I hated the fuel tank, thought it was way to big. I do not like it's look at all, looks too "metric" to me. I was a huge Triumph fan going back to to late 1994, but I have drifted away from them. I'm disappointed in the lack of dealers in my area. In fact they've lost dealers, by, in my opinion, driving the smaller guys out. That being said, I bought a Night Rod this year, and am glad I did.

#22 ·
They are both pretty good. You should chuck the Diavel into the mix too.

I like V-rods, which is why I own one. Like most modern bikes they have a nasty flat spot at 3-4K which in my opinion ruins them (noise and emission regs). Budget for a tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.