Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Front motor mount

11K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  Philthy 
#1 ·
I think the change was made in the 05 model but this shows the difference between the late model mount and the early 02 mount and as you can see a broken mount. The old mount and top plate is on the right and the arrows point to the torn spots on the mount.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Cheatin said:
I must of been one of the luck one's, mine is still the original mount, still going strong. I've checked it with a pry bar and it doesn't budge. Good info for anyone having issues with theirs.

Cheatin, that is because you are not as hard on your bike as Max is. He's always doing hole shots and wheelies. You can also hollow out hotdogs and shim your mount.

On a serious note, did you ever notice any vibration that transfered from the motor to the chassis Max or was this just something you found? I guess I am asking could you tell a difference when you installed the new one?

#6 ·
vrodcustoms said:
Cheatin, that is because you are not as hard on your bike as Max is. He's always doing hole shots and wheelies. You can also hollow out hotdogs and shim your mount.

On a serious note, did you ever notice any vibration that transfered from the motor to the chassis Max or was this just something you found? I guess I am asking could you tell a difference when you installed the new one?
Ray I checked the mount because I thought I noticed an increase in vibration at the 3-5k rpm range. I just put the mount back in tonight after taking the pictures and will update if it changed my vibration after my first test ride.

Cheatin prying on the mount won't tell you much, it is captured. Meaning it is pinched in between two layers so it cannot get out. But when I checked mine by lowering the motor and using a mirror and light I could see the center torn out.

Oh and Ray thanks for all your help.

Max

#7 ·
VrodG said:
How was it getting them big hands in there the change those kids :)
Round trip took me about 1.5 hours and it is the first time I had done one so it took me a few minutes to see how to do it. I did the update so I changed both front and rear brackets with the mount Greg. It is a little tight to get the bolts out of the front head. Make sure you have a short socket with an 8mm hex.

#9 ·
I changed mine for the 05 version when I was chasing a rattle between 4500 and 6000 RPM. If I remember, mine was starting to crack but hadn't torn through yet. I just purchased the mount and reused the top plate after removing the rubber bumper.

Max, did you notice any difference in the top plates other than the round rubber bumper??

#10 ·
Danno, no the top plates are identical after you pry the rubber bumper off. I measured both to see.

#11 ·
Max said:
Ray I checked the mount because I thought I noticed an increase in vibration at the 3-5k rpm range.
I just turned over 8k on my '04, and the last few weeks when I crack the throttle to pass someone, or just get on it a bit, I feel the vibration at about 5k too. Not real bad, but definitely noticeable since it always ran silky smooth before when I punched it.

If I am understanding your comments in this thread correctly, you actually have to remove it to verify if it's cracked?

Thanks...

#12 ·
Chuck you can see the cracks if you take the bottom nut off and the washer but it really requires a light and a small mirror to see it. Not only was my original mount broken but it had also sagged. The rubber in the new mount felt much firmer so I assume there is a lot more to the new mount then just the center support as well.

#13 ·
Thanks for the clarification Max, I'll check it out.

#19 ·
myke15 said:
What is the worst case scenario if the mount is broken?
You're engine EXPLODES.......It just Vibrates Like HELL.

#20 ·
myke15 said:
What is the worst case scenario if the mount is broken?
As RJ said I only noticed increased vibration. Mostly I could feel it in the air box cover because the extra movement in the engine allowed the air breather housing to hit the bottom of the cover and transfer extra vibration.

#25 ·
vrodrjs said:
Crap RJ everyone knows it won't explode. It just all of the sudden falls out.;)
Mine looked like crap when I took the motor over to Eagle. It has a new one now though.
That's ok. Some duct tape will hold it good. Who needs motor mounts anyway when you got duct tape? j/k

I just wondered if there was any danger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.