Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

2005 VRSCSE Questions

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  bgpowe 
#1 ·
My neighbor was trying to buy an '05 SE that the deal fell through. Now...he's obsessed with finding a replacement.

What's a good/great price for a '05 VRSCSE these days?
I've looked at cycle trader and chopperexchange and the prices seem to be all over the place.

Did the '05's come with factory security?
I don't think the bike he was looking at had it, which kind of made me wonder if there had been a problem with the bike. I thought factory security was offered in '05 and subsequently would be standard on a CVO.

How much are a decent set of replacement tires (stock front and back)?
Many of these bikes are low mileage, but original tires, which are probably dried and cracking, etc.

Thanks for any feedback...I'm hoping he gets the bike so I can ride it sometimes...lol.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Yea I would recommend the 06. The reason the 05 may be priced all over is that some people see SE and think it's worth more but to people who know v rods know the 06 has more options. I have seen some 05's sit for awhile. Just a few bucks more for better options.

#7 ·
More info, both SEs are 1250s, have small gas tanks (unless they have been upgraded like mine) the '05 has CNC ported cylinder heads - I don't think the '06 has that option (???) and they both have or maybe just the '06 has a hardened clutch basket. This is from memory so I may be a little off, hope not :).

#8 ·
Ported heads where '05 only, '06 were cast having the 05 as model and if I'm not wrong the clutch basket is also hardened on the '05. Biggest changes on the '06 anyways where fatter rear tire and Harley "Brembo" brakes. Bottomline, study each and every offer individually depending on price tag, miles, condition of the bike and upgrades... IMHO a low mile bike is the best deal breaker depending obviously on price...

#9 ·
I just purchased my second '05 CVO after selling my orange '05 CVO back in '09 for my Ultra Glide Classic, and regretted selling that bike. So now I am back, yes the '05 comes with an alarm and a narrow rear tire as compared to the '06 CVO. For me the '05 is nibble, fast and a blast to ride. In any case the '05 or '06 bikes are awesome in my opinion.

#11 ·
I also have an 05 VRSCSE:
1. As others said, it has factory security system
2. When I recently replaced the tires, cost of set of Metzler tires from the dealer was $444 (you can probably buy cheaper somewhere else); dealer charged $75 to mount tires on rims; I took tires off and on bike.
3. Local dealer had an orange low mileage 05 VRSCSE listed at $15,000 (dealer prices are always high).

#12 ·
Yes on Security system on bike and tires vary in price depending on what you put on and if you bring them wheels or they do all the work. Prices vary on 2005 se and remember with out stock pipes should be cheaper as stock pipes cost 3200 to replace at dealer.

#16 ·
Sorry but you made a mistake. The 05 CVO mufflers have different inner designs making the CVO sound a bit deeper and much more pleasant overall. With a very simple 20 minute mod they can be made to perform and sound even better. All CVO's came stock with Screamin' Eagle pipes. Unfortunately, they are just as ridiculously heavy as the A model pipes.

#20 ·
i looked at 05's they did have an alarm. i waited to see the 06 ,fell in love with it, better than 05 in a lot of ways. both are great just personal choice for 06. unfortunately i need to sell it , if your neighbor is looking for cherry 06 with extras let me know. good luck and ride safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.