Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Windshield

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Philthy 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone I have some questions about adding a windshield to my 2003 v rod. I know most do not like them, I with you on that note but I need something to help with the wind as the weather is starting to turn cold. I want something that will block my face from the wind not just my chest. Looking for something sleek and that can be detached, any suggestions. I am a lady rider and stand about 5'7 standard seat and handlebars. Can anyone help me?

#2 ·
Several options exist. Use your "search" button and type in "Windshield". Thousands of threads and ideas will appear. Good Luck.

#8 ·
If you want a windshield drive a car. No Vrod looks good with one. Well the F is so ugly no one would care anyway.

#11 ·
Naked is best, but.

My R included a quick detach touring windshield which I usually keep stored in a bag.
I used it recently on a 3600 mile tour and it really extended my endurance by deflecting bugs, cold, rocks and at one point dried corn.
I detached it while making some day trips with friends and noticed how much more grime the bike accumulated on those short runs than it had on a 600 mile stretch the day before.
The HD piece is good quality plus quick and easy to fit and remove.
You will notice a subtle tugging at your lapels from the back draft and a minor vibration through the grips from wind pressure but it's nothing that would slow you down.
Don't discount what Lux said about the right gear. Motorcycle specific clothes protect you from more than just cold and are tailored to deal with airflow so you don't get beat silly by flapping and fluttering.

#13 ·
Don't discount what Lux said about the right gear. Motorcycle specific clothes protect you from more than just cold and are tailored to deal with airflow so you don't get beat silly by flapping and fluttering.
THis is true, those "cool" t-shirts will beat the death out of you. Proper fitting clothes is key.

This is not...well maybe

#12 ·
I stand corrected 2 people care.

#15 ·
Seriously, I bought the Harley windshield, don't know which one offhand, but like it and I'm 6'2' and love it. It is quick detachable (four quick clamps) and on in three minutes, off in 30 seconds.

Just don't force the clamps to close.....the triggers are pot metal and if you have to use too much pressure to close you have something misaligned and they will break.........$35 bucks a clamp to replace.

Ignore luxlamf: I don't feel that a windshield truly destroys the "look" as bad as he makes it out for.

Sometimes, Function TRUMPS Form.........and he often misses this fact.

#22 ·
Part of the deal when I bought my vrod is the harley windshield. I have a 2012 Vrod 10yr anniversary. You're right about the handlebar clamp, it breaks easy and I found that out but the most ignorant thing I learned is that, the clamp cannot be ordered separately so they're going to warranty the whole thing and replace the whole thing instead of just ordering the clamp that I need. Don't make sense at all...

#17 ·
Try a supersport first. Used, around 150 or so. If not high enough, the touring windshield is nice. I ride alot. I do 500 mile days. Day after day. I would not be able to do that without a wind shield. Rode 50 miles with a friend, who does not have one. He suffered. I did not.
This time, David was helpful and factual. As he points out, everyone is different, and where the wind is directed to is huge. On him, not so good. On you, might work. Try it! Joe

#20 ·
Try a supersport first. Used, around 150 or so. If not high enough, the touring windshield is nice. I ride alot. I do 500 mile days. Day after day. I would not be able to do that without a wind shield. Rode 50 miles with a friend, who does not have one. He suffered. I did not.
This time, David was helpful and factual. As he points out, everyone is different, and where the wind is directed to is huge. On him, not so good. On you, might work. Try it! Joe
:them:

Plus I feel that the H-D SuperSport shield's shape fits the lines of a V Rod better than most other options. :2cents:

Here's an example...an older picture of rsc's bike.

Attachments

#21 ·
I have a Supersport Windshield on my R. It works fine for me. For us R riders, the riding position with our feet underneath us and our torsos leaned forward a bit puts our helmets a lot closer to the windshield than with other models of the V-Rod with forward controls. We do not have the buffeting or wind down our necks some riders complain of, nor do we notice air coming up from underneath because we don't have our legs out in front of us acting like air deflectors. On my R I can cruise along at 100 mph effortlessly, and sometimes out in the desert here I can do that. I couldn't do long trips, high speeds or even make routine trips to LA in the winter without it. Sometimes beauty is as beauty does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.