Best Black Exhaust: Possibly The Solution.... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
storx
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Black Exhaust: Possibly The Solution....

Hey all, if any of yall have been following my exhaust adventures recently, after posting the pictures of the manufacture defects/damage to the system that at first they were "Unable" to do anything about because it didn't effect the performance of the exhaust they claimed HERE has taken another tangent. I never asked them again about fixing the issues because i had wrapped the pipes in exhaust wrap after fixing some of the dents and such myself, but about 2 weeks ago i received a box randomly in the mail with all portions of the exhaust except the muffler part, which was all the damaged portions with a note saying that they are sorry basically, that they didnt see the damage as clear as they did once i posted it on the forums...

Anyways, i really no longer need them and i have been super impressed with the results i have from the exhaust wrap, but i had some ideas i thought about doing previously that i didnt do, so i am trying out 1 of the 2 ideas i had in my head out for the greater good of the internet...

Idea 1) I have always liked the look of carbon fiber, was curious if i could have used carbon fiber for exhaust wrap.

Idea 2) I really like the look of the wrapped exhaust and was curious if silicone coating the exhaust would be fun to do.. kinda like the silicone baking trays/pans.. they are dont hold the heat, and prevent you from being burnt...

To expand on idea 2, i got the idea while trying to get a good seal on my previous screamin eagle system, i used the RTV high temp silicone at the head and connections and it held up very well to the exhaust temps when i went to swap it for the danmoto exhaust.. so i had the idea of using that or another brand high temp silicone and paint the surface of the entire exhaust with the silicone, then sand it smooth, then using the same silicone based high temp paint to change it to black. The reason i wouldnt use the spray from the start is because the can is $17 and seems to coat a very microscopic layer on the surface of a exhaust system before it runs out, not really a lot in the can it seemed. High temp silicone could be had for far cheaper and coated before using the paint to change the final color... or use some sort of pigment dye to change the color of the high temp silicone before applying it...

So idea 1 went into action. I bought some carbor fiber material off ebay to experiment with, so i have been playing around with the carbon fiber material and some super high temp silicone based epoxy i found. I ran carbon fiber over the exhaust pipes i got in the mail and have sat them outside on my back porch to bake in the Florida sun to see if they discolor or fade in color any tell i get a chance to swap out the pipes on the bike to test part 2 of running them on the bike with the 650-900F epoxy formula i found..

storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
DannyCoolBeans
Registered Full

Looks fun!
DannyCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
streetrodracer
Registered Full

Back in my off road racing days I made a 2 stroke pipe cover out of fiberglass and resin, it covered the pipe from about 4 " from the spigot to where the expansion chamber is fattest where it protected my nylon race pants from getting melted at the knee. The protection was pretty good and it held up for a couple years but it got discolored and brittle and eventually broke apart when hit. I also noticed the engine ran hotter and was closer to pinging as it held heat in the pipe big time. I richened up the mixture but lost some race range. What you made looks very cool ! Be sure your bike does not run lean or 650 to 900 degrees may not be enough - Head pipes can glow red if lean for extended rides and that may disbond the silicone. Good luck I hope it works ! I really like the look, let us know !
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Moler
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Should look good.... Did you leave the so called,," heat shields" on or remove them?
Make sure to post pictures.... I'm interested...
Moler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement