New Night Rod 2017- first HD motorcycle - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #16
RogueJD
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree with you on the pipes. I wasn't a fan of the quiet pipes, so the first move I made was for a set of Bub Jugg Huggers 2 into 2. I stripped the chrome, and powdercoated 'em black. Gorgeous sound!!

Just a tip, if you have to periodically go through vigorous inspections because it is an import bike - KEEP YOUR STOCK EXHAUST. I took mine over to Japan for 3 years. Glad I had the stock exhaust, as they really ran it through the ringer to license it. Had to dress it down to complete stock, and even use custom mappings on the power commander to lean out the mix to an extreme level - just to pass inspection.

The exhaust has a "E4" rating (if I recall correctly). I don't remember the specifics, but that "E4" standard originated in Europe due to some strict emissions requirements. Putting aftermarket pipes on the bike will make it difficult to keep licensed.
RogueJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #17
Wind Walker
Registered Full

Forget everything that they tell you about the break in period. Just take it easy on the brakes for the first 50 miles and then ride it like you stole it.
Wind Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #18
Adamkiz
Registered Full

I will mostly stick to the break in. At least I will plan to do so. All the way up to when I start the thing.

I also have not had a bike to ride for 4 years so after the initial "oh yeah, this is a motorcycle" then comes the fun.
Adamkiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Had my rebuilt 1250 fired up at MecTec Sweden two days ago.
Start stop, start stop, start stop, start warm stop, then dyno time, uploading a map.
5 hours later done -incl breaks & some pulls to red line.
Avoid steady cruising at autobahn, do not baby it, roll on and off the throttle.
Congrats with your new ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #20
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

"ride it like you stole it"

Yep, every manufacturer of every bike and car in the world are conspiring to keep you from having fun by asking you to break in the machine.

My Motus data logger shows a total of six hours engine dyno time at the factory, with four of them on the chassis dyno, and yes it still needs a break in.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #21
TwinOaks
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
"ride it like you stole it"

Yep, every manufacturer of every bike and car in the world are conspiring to keep you from having fun by asking you to break in the machine.

My Motus data logger shows a total of six hours engine dyno time at the factory, with four of them on the chassis dyno, and yes it still needs a break in.
..........()

About as many "myths" about break-in as there are for back-pressure. Do what the manufacturer / manual says to do - period!

*(How do you ride it like it was lifted in the back of a van and driven away?)
TwinOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #22
DannyCoolBeans
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamkiz View Post
I am thinking exhaust (2 into 1) and a powervision with auto tune kit for first mods. Is there any anything else I should be looking into getting? I will also have to buy new riding gear as I have nothing currently.

My previous bike was a Yamaha 1700 Warrior that I sold a few years ago.

Thanks,

Adam
Welcome!
I put the KN filter/PowerVision/Akrapovic all at the same time. It definitely woke up the bike. I feel like its on sport mode!

Nice on the warrior. I came from rswarrior
DannyCoolBeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #23
nightrod56
Registered Full

Welcome to the forum.
I think that going on the secondary highways would be a better plan if you can. I found mine revving to 4 K to 4.5 K at 110-120 km/hour in 5th. When I rode it home from the dealer (300 km trip), I was able to go through the gears many times from 20 km/hour to 120 km/hour keeping it to 4.5 K max because there was almost no traffic for 96% of the journey.
I have just broken-in my red 2016 Night Rod Special and just got the first service done. The dealer was surprised on how fast I got to the 1600 km first service interval. I have been on riding it every day since I picked it up on May 3. Now that I can let the revs go, it is a blast. When you want to go, it roars!
Enjoy your new ride.
nightrod56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #24
Adamkiz
Registered Full

My plan will be to take it easy on the autobahn on the way home. I will try to stick to the break in at least 80% of the way home.

Good thing is my first ride will be almost 50% of the break in period. I will be taking my time getting to know the bike with frequent stops and rest.

When I was breaking in my rs warrior it was a happy day when I hit 500 miles.

I have to order a riding jacket of some sort and a helmet from online as well. I do not like the idea of not being able to try them on first but I have no gear at all right now.

No way I am paying the German HD dealership prices for leather jackets.

They had a jacket that was 450 usd online and wanted 700 euro. There is a huge mark up here in Germany.
Adamkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #25
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
I thought the new Nightrod was a street painted flat black?

Congrats and enjoy the new ride.
Shh ! That's next year.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #26
KTXdm9
Registered Full

Congrats on the new bike. I'm in the same boat as you, although I went with a low mileage used bike.

I find myself scanning posts to see what mods I want to do first. I'm going to fight the urge, and get some good seat time on the bike as is. I figure that's the only way I'll really know what I want to change.
KTXdm9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement