Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

possible oil leak...

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Luvmy04VRod 
#1 ·
In my airbox between the two plenums the little breather looking thing seems to be leaking oil. And according to TAB they think it may be the cause of my bad idle problem. Ive went through all the steps to diagnose if it was their tuner or not and it doesnt seem to be.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience with this?

The bike barely has 150miles on it. 130 of that has been with the tuner and slipons it just started idleing badly recently.

#4 ·
Unlikely.

Oil accumulating within the filter housing is usually from the case breather condenser (the small cylindrical plastic "can" that the breather hoses connect to). Excess breather condenser oil (normal quantities drain back into the cam covers) results from either too much oil in the crank case (check the dipstick) or too much "blow by" (rings are either worn or not seated).

#3 ·
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but there is a connection between breather and airbox, and if the airbox is mis-seated the connection leaks. Remove airbox (easy job) and replace making sure everything lines up. This is a common error made when the bike is serviced. It won't be your idle problem.

To check your idle, remove TAB tuner. It is not required at idle.

The most common cause of idle problems is a faulty or dirty IAC. That seems unlikely on a new bike.

#5 ·
If I remember correctly, another member here had that same problem. He corrected it by placing a single wrap of electrical tape around that center canister/breather where the top clips onto it. The top was loosely fitted (mine wiggles too - but doesn't cause the oil problem) and the tape snugged it up and solved his problem. It's an easy thing to try. Good Luck!

#8 ·
May be bad gas I did buy from a lil hole in the wall because I didn't plan well.....

If not the dealer said a little fluctuation in the idle is nothing but 500rpm or more probably is an issue, and its not that big of a gap, I may be over exaggerating it...

#10 ·
Two plenums?Do you mean the iac port between the two throttle inlets?if that port is full of oil then that will be the idle problem.clean the iac port with compressed air or something like carb cleaner or top end cleaner.there may be an obstruction in the port allowing a build up of oil in the port.if i have this wrong ,please ignore.

#13 ·
Oil leak fix

I had an minor oil leak that was pooling in a pocket on the right side by the water pump / stator area. I had the stealer fix it Saturday 10-27-12 when I brought the bike in for the 5k service. They replaced both the breather O-ring PN 11391K ($.95) and the throttle body gasket PN 29439-01 ($2.50). It's only been a day since they fixed it but no more leaking and I rode 150-cold Chicago miles. You may have the same issue.:popcorn

#14 ·
I had an minor oil leak that was pooling in a pocket on the right side by the water pump / stator area. I had the stealer fix it Saturday 10-27-12 when I brought the bike in for the 5k service. They replaced both the breather O-ring PN 11391K ($.95) and the throttle body gasket PN 29439-01 ($2.50). It's only been a day since they fixed it but no more leaking and I rode 150-cold Chicago miles. You may have the same issue.:popcorn
Did it idle a little rougher than normal?

#16 ·
No, it's been running fine. I didn't notice a rough idle. The minor oil leak up top started around 500-miles ago but I didn't bother with it because I knew my 5k service was coming soon. Since it's under warranty I let them fix it. I'm not sure what the throttle body gasket had to do with the leak but they replaced it.

Keep an eye on your oil level. Mine burned about 1.5 quarts of SYN 3 between 1K and 4k miles. I checked it every 500-miles and topped it off when necessary. However, since I passed 4k I haven't had to add any! I listened to the dealer and broke it in easy. I should have broken it in hard and "rode it like I stole it" as they say.:eek:fftopic:

#15 ·
post up some pictures of the oil in the airbox please.

what is the oil level at in the crankcase(on the dipstick).

what work has your dealership done to it.

is your throttle body gasket ripped.

these motors are known to have the map sensor go bad but what do i know. excessive oil in the airbox usually means the oil was over filled by someone. you idling issue could be that the throttle cables are not adjusted properly. the front and rear breather tubes are notorious for leaking on these bikes too.(piss poor design)

#24 ·
What oil are you running in it? These bikes/motors do not like the synthetic oil from stealership. Mine did same thing minus rough idle. Replaced tb gasket and new breather hose. Stealer ship tore tb gasket by reusing my old one. BATERDS!
Oh and for the record the stator is on the LEFT SIDE NOT the right.
Good luck.

#25 ·
I had the stealer do the 1k and 5k service so I'm running SYN3. I think it works better inside the engine than outside. You're correct, the alternator is on the left side which also has oil leaked on it. The REVO engine has been around for ten years. We shouldn't even be discussing oil leaks. I guess the Porsche engineers don't care about oil leaks either. I love my F but the oil leaks and gas gauge problems really piss me off. :banghead:

#26 ·
I am sure you may not believe or want to hear this but I would change to a different brand of oil. Read alot of posts on here w/ppl having major issues with syn 3 oil. Just my
. 02
Good luck. Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.