Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

What eBay is for...

6K views 96 replies 22 participants last post by  Vambo 
#1 ·
buying the single Best Issue of Cycle World ever printed!!!

You know the one? The one with the ONLY TRUE VROD Featured in it.

Attachments

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#62 ·
Yes, my personal experience is ludicrous. I should have forgotten everything I knew about motorcycles in over 30 years of riding by 2002 and just accepted the V-Rod on aesthetics, respectable performance and ignored the fact that it was a pretty miserable ride and that there were a lot of better bikes available.

I'd bought a second one a couple years ago was because they'd depreciated so dramatically that it was cheap to pick one up and go after the issues as a project. Sure it looked good but the chasis couldn't back up the engine so I got bored and moved on.

#65 ·
One thing I have discovered in my short 6.5 year of motorcycling is that 90% of the people who own bikes not only own the Best Bike that does everything (including windows) but its also better then everyone else's. Louis is very truthful in his breakdown of the bikes he owns and what each does in his environment. I know for a fact that the 2002 VRSCA is the Best goddamned VROD ever released. Best Tech? Not a chance, Tech has improved greatly over the 10 years, but its still the only damned bike I ever did see that I said "I have to have that goddamned thing" and got one.
What is it that the teach law enforcement? The Eye witness is the least credible source of finding out the truth of a matter? Someone plunks down some serious cash for a Thing and of course their mind has to make it the Best choice in the world. Just like everyone thinks their kids are the smartest and best looking etc... but yet the world is full of idiots.

#72 ·
Won't be street legal though. On the other hand he didn't get a say in the design of the core components. The numbers I picked, 520lb and 130BHP, were only off the top of my head. 550 and 140 might be nearer it. Either way, the chassis could have been considerably lighter without greatly raising cost or changing the looks, and 135BHp (claimed) would have been a doddle - they already claim 125 for the current stock bikes, and stage 2 cams, which plenty of people are using without howls of rage about lost torque, would have added another 5 to 10. And at that point it would have been noticed by people other than those looking for a Harley cruiser.

#83 ·
The reason I posted the info is because dumbo said it couldn't be done.

I won't compare sports bike to Vrods, they are 2 different animals.
Well 532 ain't 520 and Louis and I were talking a FACTORY bike at 520. Obviously we can cut and grind and replace parts to reach any kinds of numbers. But the discussion was factory............. as in off the floor "dumbo". :kiss:

I stand corrected its 532lbs
Just a little 411, lbrown bike weights in at 525lbs :deal:
oh it kills me when this information is on the forum [/I]and people are more interested in trolling than learning.

Do I hear 536?.......

#91 ·
If lbrown was to replace the buell wheels with carbon fiber he would be well below the 520lbs. If we can do it HD shouldn't have any problem with reducing weight.
Ya well we are not trying to produce a bike for the masses. Wasn't that Louis's original point? T o make it more appealing to a broader mass? With that in mind HD must include things like rear seat's, rear pegs suspension to handle 2-up and turn signals are a must for instance, HD is also strapped with an exhaust that must meet EPA noise limits which will be long, multiple pieces and heavy, something we do not have to adhere to.
Reducing weight I'm all for but to expect 520 STOCK is a pipe dream. I've gone all aluminum skins which also include much smaller fenders (180-R and sport-F) than stock DX and modified 180 seat pan , replaced the crappy steel pegs and mounts with billet, saved 20 or so on the exhaust, lighter wheels, stripped DA and reflectors, smaller billet turns, replaced the heavy nacelle with original headlight, modded and drilled belt guard and so it goes and 520 is a long ways off.

#93 ·
Ya well we are not trying to produce a bike for the masses. Wasn't that Louis's original point? T o make it more appealing to a broader mass? With that in mind HD must include things like rear seat's, rear pegs suspension to handle 2-up and turn signals are a must for instance, HD is also strapped with an exhaust that must meet EPA noise limits which will be long, multiple pieces and heavy, something we do not have to adhere to.
Reducing weight I'm all for but to expect 520 STOCK is a pipe dream. I've gone all aluminum skins which also include much smaller fenders (180-R and sport-F) than stock DX and modified 180 seat pan , replaced the crappy steel pegs and mounts with billet, saved 20 or so on the exhaust, lighter wheels, stripped DA and reflectors, smaller billet turns, replaced the heavy nacelle with original headlight, modded and drilled belt guard and so it goes and 520 is a long ways off.
Wheels, rotors, rear subrame (alloy one perfectly plausible, if mass produced by Harley), exhaust (only bit that is expensive, titanium and cf), and then the general lightening of which you speak. Now we are at 550, probably quite a lot less. The engine is way heavier than my similar KTM motor, it is hard to avoid thinking this is because no one much cared. 30lbs to go there.

Harley wanted a bike to break into a new market, but when they came to do it they ended up being happy to just beat their own bikes. A missed chance. 520lbs/130bhp would have been easy, if they had made it a firm target.

I like the bike fine as it is. But outside the Harley and Harley knock off sector (what you call Cruisers) nobody has ever heard of it. Shame, it deserves better.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

#74 ·
I doubt the exhaust hits noise regs just for starters.

However, I am certain it can be done though. The solid wheels weigh a ton, fit Muscle wheels. The rotors are heavy, they don't have to be, the Galfers are light enough. The Akropovic exhaust is, I think, capable of hitting noise regs with the baffle in, and it is very light (but expensive...). The rear subrame is insanely heavy (couldn't believe it when I handled one), make it in alloy. Amd no effort has been made to ligten anything else. Then, the engine is heavy. Porsche, who re-engineered it from the race engine, clearly didn't bother about weight and that will have been Harley's choice. And finally weight has clearly not been an issue anywhere - everything could be a bit lighter, and it all adds up.

This post has been deleted
#81 ·
My take on the whole debate is Louis needs to get off the cruiser and stick to the sport bike. I'm stoked that anytime a cruiser rolls up and revs wanting to give it a go.... they get a good look at my 240 as I pull away. I bought it for looks, decent performance, and the cruiser appeal which is not going fast enough at top end to go splat or drag up a hornets nest of cops.

My phone is better than your phone....

#86 ·
Well back on topic, i told a friend of mine here that i had finally got my bike
" What is it?"
" Harley V Rod, I've wanted one for ages, really pleased"
" Well, yes and no"
"What does that mean?"
" Its a real quick bike,but not popular and doesn't sell. i ride a full bagger, its not for me"
" Well, thats great because its for me not you!. Interesting that you felt the need to pass opinion on my bike when i didn't ask"

Personally i really don't care a jot what bikes people choose, what car they have, what model of phone they use, whatever, if i have an opinion i keep it to myself. I certainly wouldn't feel the need to put down someone else who is obviously excited by his purchase.

"It's not for me"
Answer "You really are mistaking me for someone who gives a f**k"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.