Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

12/13 VRSCDX Recall

6K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  Teche 
#1 ·
Announced yesterday.

Friend that works in service passed this along to me.

Posted in general also - but for you DX snobs that don't go INTO the general forum...

Rick

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah - if it breaks loose, it can hit the brake line and damage it.

Rick

#9 ·
Or take it to a dealer and get a free replacement part that WON'T FALL OFF.

Rick

#10 ·
I have a 12 NRS and it happened to me. It came lose and dropped down onto tire but one screw was still in by like 2 threads. I was able to use cargo net to hold it up into I got into town and bought some screws at autozone. 6mm little tiny suckers I put blue lock tight on them. I told dealer about it they never heard about it lol. I think they should have used bigger screws with some kiinda sealer or lock tight. I bet there fix is to just put a drop of lock tight on them lol.

#11 ·
Mine completely fell off first week and hit rear wheel 700km from home, now have to travel 2000km round trip to get damaged parts replaced.
Probably be cheaper just to buy the parts but bike is also due for first service anyway,this will be a very expensive service for me considering a local Bike Shop could do service.

#13 ·
happened to me. On a ride my brother calls me "your plate is loose"
2 seconds later he says "STOP your tail light just fell" Was lucky, stopped and black taped it up until i got home.

#17 ·
My information says the "kit" is 2 new bolts and locktite all 4 in (didn't specify RED or BLUE though).

I'm going to suspect that , since these are pretty small bolts - you'd probably want to go with BLUE if you ever expect to maybe have this assembly apart sometime in the future.

If yours HASN'T FALLEN OFF YET - I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting in there - R&R-ing the bolts, and locktite-ing them back on.

I haven't had the opportunity to see one of the new fender'd bikes APART yet - so I can't comment from personal experience the "difficulty level" of a DIY on this. I've had my '10 apart more times than I care to remember (for various mods, etc.) - but, from the parts drawings I've seen:

it's a totally different animal from the previous "dogs-ass" version...

Bolts in question are going to be #2 - 4863M - SCREW - M6 X 1.0 X12 #4 Hex Flange Head. I can't say for sure yet - whether they changed the spec on the 2 replacements the recall kit provides - or just assume that these have fallen out already on most bikes (LOL).

The "dogs-ass" on previous models (holding the turns, side reflectors, and license plate mount), bolts onto the rear fender strut assembly with bolts and nuts THROUGH the metal strut - while these appear to screw INTO the fender (again, I haven't seen one apart yet).

Rick

edit: To illustrate the difference between the turn/license (dogs ass) between the above and the previous model:

#5 is a metal plate with two studs that go on the INSIDE/THROUGH the inner fender strut - and #2 are the nuts that secure the plastic assembly TO the inner fender strut. The plastic part has brass pieces "cast into" the assembly to reinforce and keep the holes from "rounding out", where the bolts/studs go through.

The newer models are similar to the Muscle/F - where the stop lamp assembly secures to the FENDER ITSELF

While the side license plate mount also secures to the rear fender strut.

While I doubt the plastic turn/license mount actually WEIGHS that much - it's still a dumb design to secure it with 4 small (M6) bolts, and not locktite them in at the factory.

#18 ·
Go my rear fixed,dealer was great but Harley Davidson weren't as helpful they feel that informing me of issue (after the fact) and that I was 1000km (600 miles) from nearest dealer was my Problem as far as expenses go.
Strange Consumer Protection and my Solicitor have a different View of Australia Law concerning Safety Recalls,a friends Toyota just got recalled and dealer is covering the cost.

#19 ·
Checked mine out last night and all is tight and secure. I'll keep an eye on it but "won't" disturb it since it is perfect now. :broke:

#20 ·
I would check your "born on date" - as they obviously recognized the issue on bikes PRIOR TO the 8/1/12 cutoff date on the recall notice.

If your bike was "born" PREVIOUS to that date - I would STRONGLY SUGGEST letting the dealer do the "update" - or DOING IT YOURSELF.

Don't wait until it becomes an issue. It's called PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE for a reason.

After hearing some of the stories RIGHT HERE - if I had one of these bikes - I would have gone into the garage and FIXED THIS IMMEDIATELY - before I put another mile on the thing.

It's not even really about the safety factor - but more, if this thing cuts loose on you, it could damage the wiring sub-harness, and do a lot more than just "fall off". Despite the fact that it would be under warranty - do you really want to risk the hassle?

Rick

#21 ·
Had a scheduled "Bike Nite" at the dealership and asked about the recall. It is NOT a recal but a safety advisory which means you HAVE to bring in the bike for them to do the work.
I'm 55 miles from the dealership (oneway) and when I arrived I checked and the assembly is still tight and NOT coming loose. According to the dealer you have to have them do the upgrade no matter what and we cannot do it ourselves. They have ordered kits for the Night Rods they sold and when the kits arrive they are asigning the kit to a name and will contact that person to come in and get the upgrade done. So now we know............

Rick, I appreciate your response and value your opinion but this is NOT my first rodeo. As they say "I got this". Thanks again........

#24 ·
I would ring your Dealer and Arrange for Fix,mine fell of and hit rear wheel on first trip on Bike leaving me stranded 700km from home.

#27 ·
Has anyone had the "recall kit" as my dealer called it installed. When I asked the service manager what it would be he told me he has no idea because I told him I wasn't gonna ride it over there just for them to put some locktite on the bolts lol But he said he couldn't even order the kit until November 1, when I talked to him it was back in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.