Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Larger fuel tank on older V-Rods

7K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  rattletrap 
#1 ·
Has anyone put a larger fuel tank in their pre-2007 bike?
How did it work out?

#34 ·
I've installed both and saw no big deals with either. FWIW, I have the UE in my bike. Not sure what your Florida plans are, but if you want a go at the install yourself, I'll give you a hand at my shop.

#36 ·
Man you guys are great.
I have my bike in storage in Miami at the moment but live in Bermuda so I have no access to a workshop.
I know if I take the bike to the HD dealer he will probably charge me 6 hours labour which will be almost $1000.
I'm coming back down at the end of the month and was going to check out what looks to be a cool cycle shop - Dre's - http://www.dresmotoshop.com/
I'll see what he can do for me before bothering you guys.

#39 ·
Yes. This is a PRIME opportunity to meet VROD guys. If they are are offering I would honestly take them up on their offer. You will not find another group of ppl anywhere in the world as helpful!!! :D :thumb:
Plus YOU get to learn how to do things on YOUR BIKE and keep money in YOUR POCKET! Except for the beer and pizza! it will cost ya!! :D :cheers: :cheers:

Joe

#40 ·
Have the tank shipped here...Ride over here from Miami... Luigi can ride south... might even get Rusty and Grit to ride down too. Between the lot of us, I'd say we could have that tank in in record time (as long as the beer holds out anyhow).

Our labor rate is........... you buy lunch!

#42 ·
I'm not really sure how to respond.
You'd better be careful or I just may take you up on the offer.
But I know everybody's time is precious and I would feel guilty if I screwed around with your free time.
Do you guys have time to spare?

#44 ·
^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^^^

My shop is sort of... convertable... depending on the task at hand. Sometimes its a wood shop, welding, mechanics, boats, cabinet... well even motorcycles at times..... BUT if you show up while someone is PAYING me to build cabinets for their boat, you'll wait LOL!

That said... a week or two should suffice to convert to a bike shop and fit you in!

#46 ·
See..... I told you these guys are good! Give them sum notice on when your in town! You wont regret it!!

#50 ·
I upgraded my 06 VRSCD with the Rick's fuel tank. Not sure on the install as I had a shop put it on for me.

The longer range sure is nice ... as I was always the first guy in the pack pulling off for fuel.

#51 ·
If you guys are serious about helping me I'd love to take you up on the offer.
But obviously let's plan a time that's convenient to you.
There's no great hurry.
I'll order the Rick's Tank.
Do I need to order the tool to remove the large threaded ring on top of the fuel tank?
Also on Rick's instruction sheet they recommend using a new seal - part 61498-01.
I can't find that part on the HD website. Any ideas? I'll call Rick's and see what that is.
Thanks again.

#60 ·
FWIW, all the ones I did in the past required a new O-ring. I have one in "stock" if we need it; just replace it.

Got your PM and any day is fine as long as far enough off that the shop isn't doing something else... I suspect Luigi would prefer a weekend.

#53 ·
i have a homemade tool to remove the ring and you dont need a new seal if we are careful in removing the old one.

i only need a few days lead time and if capn is busy you can ride up to my place and do it. i have tools to get this done (except a tire changer)

#56 ·
You do not need any special tool to remove top. Just use a strap wrench. Comes off real easy. Cheap and very easy.

#58 ·
Thanks Peter.
I see that you and your airhead neighbor are pretty close to Miami - lol.
I'm getting spoilt for choice - and really appreciate it.
When the tank arrives we can see what works for everybody with the least hassle to anyones free time.
Peter it looks like you have the Corbin Hollywood seat on your bike.
How do you like that?
Is it comfortable for you and the passenger?
How does it compare to the Sundowner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.