Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Attention Deficit V-Rod

20K views 128 replies 53 participants last post by  shobbs 
#1 ·
We have been working for a while now on a slammed, chopped, supercharged, nitrous injected V-Rod which is finally coming together. I though I would share the progress on here.

It has been a lot more work (and a lot more $$) than I had originally planned, but it has been fun.

First we started with an Orange SE2, chopped the rear fender and added front and rear slam kits.

The rear swing arm was sealed up and the compressor fed into it using it as a storage tank so that the air rides are pretty instant and there is no need to constantly run the compressor.

See less See more
#31 ·
Looks great man. I'm all about 1 off stuff, nothing better. Glad to see someone else bought and SE and decided to tear it apart and redo (Check my gallery for a few pics). Can't wait to see the finished product!

#33 ·
It's a lot lower in the front than that picture looks, I dropped the forks in the trees about 1". I already scrape speed bumps with the rad shrouds if I'm not careful!. Did a 1302 build last winter... pretty much done with it to be honest. May swap the wheels out again at some point for something more 1 off, haven't decided though. For right now the plan is to ride the hell out of it!

#34 ·
I have had a few people pm about the rear fender and what work is required to fit it/where the junk that is usually under the seat gets relocated etc so I figured I would post a step by step. The fender is from Ricks in germany - same guy who makes the 5 gal tank. (I didn't do the work myself)

First off you need to shorten the subfender by chopping off the last few inches:

Then you need to mark out a square where you are going to fit a box for the TSM (the box is suppied with the fender):

Then you need to cut the hole out for the box to slip into:

After that you have to cut out sections from the side of the subfender, bend the metal to the new shape and weld it back up. The angles you need to cut are shipped with the fender. The instructions were unfortunately all in German, but easy enough to figure out:

Once that is done all that is left is to fit the box, drop in the TSM and, if you like - respray the metal. It should look something like this when you are done:

#43 ·
Ethan I can't wait to see a video of you riding this thing. Sweet.

What the hell are you snackin' about, in my opinion you and one other (I'd have to dig up who it was that had the other) have the best looking Rod's out there (right now). I dedicate my popcorn to YOU.

:popcorn

#57 ·
You may need to use some shims on your adjustment cams to get that belt a bit tighter. :hidesbeh:

Bikes are coming right along.

#45 ·
This is a great build to watch. Will taking off the belt guards cause any potential problems when riding? I'm thinking about taking off my belt guards.

Anyway, at least I will get regular e-mails now as this build continues. It would be nice to see someone do a build like this on the forum on a Mucscle.

Best Regards

#52 ·
You guys have a time frame in mind to finish the project or just wingin it?
We need to have both bikes finished by June. We are planning on attending the Smokeout XI in Rockingham NC then riding to Colorado.

The idea is to have the bikes as a set - one rat rod and one hot rod inspired. But very obviously a pair - same race number lettering, same paint pattern just different colors. One orange and cream with gold pinstriping, one black and cream with red pin striping.

Nothing burns through $$$ like trying to do two bikes at the same time.

CFR exhaust went on this weekend, with black insulation wrap for the rat rod.

#53 ·
Any updates on your builds Ethan?

#54 ·
Unintended meeting between the tig welder and the oil cooler set things back a little..

However the pulley cover is now ready to be chromed and it looks great. The one that comes with the kit is fine, but we wanted something beefier and that showed off the pulleys.. this is the result, hope people like it:

Also the oil cooler is now mounted with the inter cooler and the same scoop will feed both.. All covered up ready for the fibreglass work.

#56 ·
:plause: both bikes look like they are coming along nicely. Beautiful, just simply beautiful!
Are you planning on doing the ignition relo to the wife's D?

#59 ·
Bring it to MWT! Can't wait to see it! Joe

#60 ·
Time for an update.. This is the basic mold that will be used for the scoop. The photos dont really do it justice but it should not take too much imagination to see where we are going with it from here. Once the final shape is agreed upon then we take a mold and make a smooth fibre glass cover.

#63 ·
Interesting. I'm reading over on Badweatherbikers that the 1125Buell motor's airbox is pressurized at speed. That's why they can get away with a smallish snout on the box. (It's still twice the size of the V-Rod's). It sits lower, so maybe it works better as a ram scoop. All the data says the HP falls off at speed running 'topless'. The intakes, btw, are 61MM!!!

#65 ·
8 weeks to go until we need this to be finished.. last decision that needs to be made. Intake and SC pipes: Do we chrome them or do we paint them to match the frame? Excuse the slightly crappy photoshop job but what do people think? We will probably go with what the forum decides as I can't make up my mind. Chrome engines look great.. but so would orange pipes..

#128 ·
My brother calls me a "chromosexual"..so obviously I vote for chrome! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.