Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Sundowner seat for Street rod

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  jamesf 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can locate a sundowner seat? I know HD discontiued this seat a while ago but I have an urge to do some touring.

Thanks

#2 ·
Watch the classified on this site. Sundowner seats turn up along with other R parts from time to time. Make a habit to cruise through the classified every time you long on and you'll find what you are looking for soon enough.

#6 ·
I had a local upholster repad my stock seat. He made it wider for my wide posterior, filled in much of the butt pocket and was able to move the step back and smooth it out so I can move around on the seat. This cost me $200. Comapare that to how much Corbin will skin you for one of their seats. The local upholsterer can tailor a seat to your seat. Not so Corbin.

#8 ·
WRONG !
He's looking for one for his "R" model. It's a whole different fitment;a 2012 won't fit it nor will any other model's seat.

#9 ·
Be wary of the sundowner seat. I bought one put it on the bike rode once and took it off and sold it. It raises you up about an inch and pushes you forward a couple inches. It made it a little less comfortable for me. I am 6' even with pretty long arms, so it made my arms bend a little too much for comfortable riding. Worst case like mine, you buy it and try it and if you don't like it, it will resale pretty quickly..

#10 ·
Be wary of the sundowner seat. I bought one put it on the bike rode once and took it off and sold it. It raises you up about an inch and pushes you forward a couple inches. It made it a little less comfortable for me. I am 6' even with pretty long arms, so it made my arms bend a little too much for comfortable riding. Worst case like mine, you buy it and try it and if you don't like it, it will resale pretty quickly..
:them:

Though I kept mine on for quite a while,long enough to replace it.

#11 ·
That inch increase in seat height was just what my knees wanted. My only complaint with the Sundowner was there was no room to move around. You are in one position and that is that. Nonetheless, I could do 500 mile days on it comfortably. The extra width was greatly appreciated, but every back side is different. The complaint I hear more often is the little extra height of the Sundowner doesn't work for shorter stature riders. But for me, parked next to my trusty old BMW K100RS the Street Rod looks like a low rider. I'm not quite six feet but the R feels slammed compared to my dual sport or the K. Those are tall bikes.

#12 ·
Even with my 34 inch inseam, the stock seat/pegs were never uncomfortable to me. The extra height with the sundowner was nice, but didn't like being pushed forward too much.

#13 ·
Yeah that's just it about the Sundowner seat for the "R", either it works for you or it doesn't.

#16 ·
Yes,that's the Sundowner meant for the VRSCR. The pillion is the stock OEM ,not the Touring one that was offered by H-D.
Here's a pic of my "R" with the Sundowner & Touring pillion before I replaced them with the Corbin Hollywood Solo & matching pillion. :

Are you sure I'm wrong? Here's the link to a street rod seat search on EBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=seat+harley+Street+rod&rt=nc

There seems to be a few of them. Weather they are for the "R", I don't know. He'll have to contact the on-line store for more details. One does have a reference to a "A" and "B" versions.
Ok I looked and yeah I'm sure. Of the seats shown in your search the only ones for the H-D VRSCR Street Rod model were a set of the OEM seat & pillion, a front OEM seat, & a OEM pillion for sale. Not one of them is the proper Sundowner seat for the VRSCR Street Rod or "R" as it is sometimes referred to here.

The VRSCR Street Rod model is unique in that the seats & some other parts for it,fit only it & other models parts may not. Too often new owners buy parts thinking they will work only to find out differently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.