Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Stage II Cams Driveability Review

89K views 216 replies 61 participants last post by  TwinOaks 
#1 ·
I've been searching for a review of the driveability of the Screamin Eagle cams to no avail. I've seen the dyno sheets and they're very impressive, but we don't ride our bikes on the dyno.

IF YOU OWN THESE CAMS, please comment on the street-ability of your bike now vs stock cams:

Is it hard to start?
Does it pull better down low, mid range, upper RPM?
Does it run rough?
Does it stall?
Does it suck gas?
Is it noisy?
Does it run hotter?
Is it smooth?
Is it a mistake for the commuter to use these cams?
Are they worth the money ($400 + install + dyno tune) to you?

#2 ·
Street ability is good. I've put 1000 miles on since getting the cams installed. No issues with hard starts or getting hot. It pulls hard in upper rpm range. I get between 29 and 32 mpg depending on how hard I ride. My dyno numbers were 114hp and 77tq before cams. After cams they went up to 133hp and 83tq. Definitely worth the money for an increase of 19hp and 6tq at the back wheel.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#3 ·
I've been searching for a review of the driveability of the Screamin Eagle cams to no avail. I've seen the dyno sheets and they're very impressive, but we don't ride our bikes on the dyno.

IF YOU OWN THESE CAMS, please comment on the street-ability of your bike now vs stock cams:

Is it hard to start?No
Does it pull better down low, mid range, upper RPM?The way mine is set up.. Mid - High Rpm
Does it run rough?A little rumble , not rough
Does it stall?No
Does it suck gas?The way I ride. YES !! Hitting Nitrous & High Rpm's I get about 20 - 25 miles to the gallon. I have mine set rich for the nitrous
Is it noisy?They are noisy. But can't hear when I'm above 5500 Rpm's due to Vance & Hines Slip -ons.
Does it run hotter?I haven't noticed
Is it smooth? Compared to Stock.. No . More Beefy feeling.
Is it a mistake for the commuter to use these cams?Thats definately a personal choice
Are they worth the money ($400 + install + dyno tune) to you?Worth the money to Purchase YES.. I Did my own install and Created my own Maps

#4 ·
Subscribed.

I've read of airheads installing cams themselves, is this possible? Obviously a dyno would still be needed. Any "how to's"?

Would the 26t help with the low end torque and cams for high end power?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#5 ·
my set up gives me more low mid range torque. using thundermax at the mo but converting to daytona tt as soon as ive a chance to do it.these cams are quite streetable.unfortunately it now sucks gas.on a brisk ride i use 1/3 more gas than a k13r.same speeds.when i compare the gas consumption to any other bike its quite sobering.takes the buzz right off.

#6 ·
Dave, how's your riding style? If you like to crank up the throttle from time to time (or all the time like some of us :D ) then you should install them definitely! It's a mid-high RPM improving mod, so you'll get the best of it if you like to ride your bike hard.

#9 ·
TEAZZR gave you all the answers I would give you.

I had the cams in before I did the stroke, and thought it was WELL worth the money. At idle you will get more of that long duration cam "lope" in the motor, and a lot more chatter from the TB blades. After that it's all GRINS. Smaller power gains down low, bigger up top - the motor really comes alive around 4500RPM.

That additional noise you're hearing? That's YOU hollerin'.

I had mine tuned with the Mastertune - no flat spots and a big pull all the way up to my 9400 RPM redline.

#10 ·
i've been searching for a review of the driveability of the screamin eagle cams to no avail. I've seen the dyno sheets and they're very impressive, but we don't ride our bikes on the dyno.

If you own these cams, please comment on the street-ability of your bike now vs stock cams:

Is it hard to start? No
does it pull better down low, mid range, upper rpm? Yes
does it run rough? No
does it stall? No
does it suck gas? Only if you twist your right wrist
is it noisy? No
does it run hotter? No
is it smooth? Yes
is it a mistake for the commuter to use these cams? No
are they worth the money ($400 + install + dyno tune) to you? Y.E.S!.
For me... The best way I can describe it is.. It's like having a Big Block Chevelle between your legs.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

#11 ·
the best hp for the money,after a year i still grin when i hammer it, as for mpg, all depends on your wrist,
these motors should of came from the factory with these babies.

#12 ·
Take my word for it:

Leave it stock!!!!!

#13 ·
Is it hard to start? No, but I keep mine on a battery tender
Does it pull better down low, mid range, upper RPM? Mid and Upper
Does it run rough? No
Does it stall? No
Does it suck gas? Little more, because you will be twisting it more
Is it noisy? Little bit, but in a good way..
Does it run hotter? nope
Is it smooth? yes
Is it a mistake for the commuter to use these cams? I dont think so...
Are they worth the money ($400 + install + dyno tune) to you? YES

#16 ·
Agree with all the above and in addition, the exhaust note will be louder. Also consider NOT using the Tmax with these cams. Many of us here have had tuning problems; Tmax seems not to like these cams. In my opinion, consider SEPST or TT Mastertune for best tune. Also, if you do install them, keep an eye out for broken Tbody throttle plate shafts....some here have already reported on that. There may / may not be a link with that problem and the cams. Time will tell. Good luck with your decision, DR. Dave.

#24 ·
The shaft that the butterflies are connected to break in half or at one end.

#26 ·
For the record I also have Screaming eagle heads also
Is it hard to start? have not noticed any difference
Does it pull better down low, mid range, upper RPM? pulls mid high to the sky!!!!!
Does it run rough? a little "lobey" some people know its cams
Does it stall? nope
Does it suck gas? I ride aggressive 10-20 over the speed limit plus I have a 26 tooth so in my case yes it sux gas down
Is it noisy? a little more at idle and alot @ full throttle (v=H 2-1)
Does it run hotter?
Is it smooth?
Is it a mistake for the commuter to use these cams?I used a sept no problems
Are they worth the money ($400 + install + dyno tune) to you? YES and YES

#29 ·
I'm up to 10,000 miles on these came and couldn't be happier best bang for the buck upgrade IMO. They are pretty docile below 4k rpms but let them get to 4k and you better hold on. They pull like a freight train up to red line and are still pulling real hard then. They could up the rev limiter to 9,500 or even 10k and I think they would still pull strong to there.

#32 ·
The stock 53's move plenty of air. 58's are overkill.

#33 ·
58's , IMO , are not overkill . With the SEPST I'm able to set-up my Mixture rich enough without the loss of power for my Noss kickin. without them I wouldn't have a good HP/Torque gain.

#36 ·
Oversized TBs are just like using too large a carburetor on a car. What you gain in top end horsepower is lost in low end torque and driveability. Many a fool has put a 750 or 850 cfm carb on their small block motors when a 650 would have sufficed.

#37 ·
That was my though. I use to know the proper wording for it but something about the flow being nutural that low because at such a slow speed it can't pull the volume of opening untill the "flow" catches up.... Then again FI is a whole new world to me so I wasnt sure if it even mattered

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.