Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Thinking of getting an HID light kit from DDM, but which one? How bright?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  sullivancorner 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I haven't been on here in a while as work interferes, but I was thinking of getting an HID kit from DDM for my 2004 "A" model. What I don't know is What bulb type? Wattage? And bulb color? Anybody have any issues with DDM? I've looked through some threads on here and seen mixed reviews about them. Also, what about an LED tail light? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!

Brian

#3 ·
Just get the 35W slim ballast from DDM, you will be amazed at how much llight comes off of it, no need for 55W unless you want to piss people off. For the color, be advised that 5K (pure white light) has the most lumens of all the colors. I prefer the 6K, just has a touch of blue to it, although it lights the ground in white and has an insignificant amount of lumen reduction. As far as the quality of DDM HID's the first kit I have used from them was in my V-ROD and that was about 5 years ago and I have had zero issues with it. Also have installed several for others and never heard of any complaints.

#10 ·
Do these just drop in the DX mount? Presumably they don't work for the A?

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App

#6 ·
I did mine shortly after Luxie... Went 55w, 6k for both buldb, and the low beam always on mod. Other than the. "Bulb Bucket" being a wee bit toasted, no issues...

#8 ·
This is what I'm going with...

Ok, so I see that Lux went with the 55w but I think I'll go with the 35w one. Same bulb as Lux, the H11 in 6k. Capngeo, you did both bulbs? Hi and Low? Did it make that much difference in you hi beam?

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated!

Brian

#11 ·
Ok, so I see that Lux went with the 55w but I think I'll go with the 35w one. Same bulb as Lux, the H11 in 6k. Capngeo, you did both bulbs? Hi and Low? Did it make that much difference in you hi beam?

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated!

Brian
I did both and have the always on low beam (needed if you go HID as there is a ramp-up time for the low beam to come back on and you're left in the dark)...

Like Lux said, I see people all the time getting ready to pull out then stopping as they see the light. It's so bright on high that I see light reflecting on street signs in broad daylight, and small children hide behind their mothers. I keep the high beams on full time all day with no wire/battery/alternator issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.