Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Chain Drive Tips Wanted

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  FABSTER 
#1 ·
I'm running an almost stock 2006 VRSCD. Modded pipes, topless, K&N high flow filter & a PC3.
Internals are stock, no cam work, etc.
Still running stock gearing (30 tooth front pulley) .
I did buy a 26 tooth pulley but it won't fit my bike :hmm:

Currently running the 1/4 in 11.6 crossing the line at 118mph.

Looking to change to chain drive to reduce the gearing. Hoping this will get my 60' times down and cut a few tenths of my ET.

Any tips on what sprockets I should be running front and rear on a near stock 1130?

Don't mind if it becomes unsuitable for long hauls. I have two other Harleys for daily riding and cruising.

The Night Rod is mainly ridden to, from and down the track.

#2 ·
When you say the 26T won't fit, why ? There is some clearanceing necessary and possible belt swap, depending on tooth count on your current one. What are you'e 60' times now ! My personal suggestion is stick with the belt, stronger, lighter, less maintenance. The only ones who need chain are full time racers that need to adjust gearing at multiple tracks each weekend. That doesn't sound like you.

#5 ·
When you say the 26T won't fit, why ? The internal diameter of the 26 tooth pulley is too small to fit over the drive shaft housing. There is no way the pulley can be machined to fit, there's just no excess metal to take out.

There is some clearanceing necessary and possible belt swap, depending on tooth count on your current one. I bought a shorter belt to suit with the 26T pulley.

What are you'e 60' times now ! Running 1.9 sometimes a high 1.8

My personal suggestion is stick with the belt, stronger, lighter, less maintenance. Tried going down that path. Am out of pocket a pile of cash and have nothing to show for it but some spare parts hanging on the wall of the workshop.

The only ones who need chain are full time racers that need to adjust gearing at multiple tracks each weekend. If I go chain drive and need to fine tune ratios, it is a very affordable option to grab another sprocket with a different tooth count. Not so with belt drive. There are a gazillion ratios available for chain drive. With belt drive the options are limited. Extremely limited if one doesn't live in the States.

That doesn't sound like you. This is my race bike. Street registered so I can ride it to the track but purchsed solely to be my drag bike.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys but I already know where to buy the parts.

Looking for guidance from someone who's gone chain drive as to what ratio to try for starters.

I'm thinking 21 front & 58 rear. ????????

#7 ·
thats a good start. ncvrodracer has went to a chain and i think thats his gearing. send him a pm, he ain't here a lot but will gladly help you. tell him robbie sent you.

#8 ·
Many thanks Robbie, I'll send him a PM.

#9 ·
I purchased my chain setup through vreelands hd i went with a 19 t front 54 t rear it gave me a 2.84 gear ratio 21/58 gives you a 2.76 ratio which is the same as 26t front pulley belt setup divide your rear sprocket teeth by your front sprocket teeth gives you your gear ratio i think noel on here has a spread sheet on this

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I purchased my chain setup through vreelands hd i went with a 19 t front 54 t rear it gave me a 2.84 gear ratio 21/58 gives you a 2.76 ratio which is the same as 26t front pulley belt setup divide your rear sprocket teeth by your front sprocket teeth gives you your gear ratio i think noel on here has a spread sheet on this
Many thanks.

Any reason for smaller srockets front and back in preference to the same ratio using 21 tooth front? Better clearance somewhere perhaps?

#12 ·
Thanks Noel,

That Gearing Commander is awesome!

It will certainly resolve a few arguments in the racing team b/s sessions.

#13 ·
There is no real reason for smaller sprockets over larger diameter ones a 19t front sprocket would be smallest i would go anything smaller in front would possibly put the chain in a bind and or contact the swingarm also with the vrod swingarm there is not much adjustment depending on sprocket sizes will affect how many links you cut off the chain and have enough adjustment in the swingarm to adjust the slack out of the chain

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.