Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

What is a Digital Technician? HD-44750?

35K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Philthy 
#1 ·
Digital Technician? HD-44750? All I find in my brief research is that this is a (expensive?) software program to run on a laptop (which I already have). The service manual referrs to it in several places in the electrical diagnostics section. I'd like to know what it does, how much does it cost, and if it is only available to the service techs?:notworth::notworth:

Thanks. Looking forward to meeting some of you in Sept. at the KC homecoming rally...Gonna be a long ride and a lot of gas stops from Calif.:blahblah:

#3 ·
Well, the SERT won't do all of the maintenance functions the Digital Technician will do. You cannot, for example, replace a TSSM without the DT, since it must run a routine to introduce the new TSSM to the ECU for the bike to start. If you have drivability problems due to a bad sensor or something similar you almost have to have a DT to read the sensor output and troubleshoot the problem.
Having said that, the Digital Technician is a dealer only item. It can be connected to H-D Net for service updates and vehicle history. Access to HD Net requires a dealer only password. I once contacted the firm that makes DT's for HD and was told I could not buy one.
I have found one alternative to the DT that features software that can be loaded into a laptop, desktop or Bluetooth device. It is called Navigator TXB and it is made in Italy by Texa S.p.A.. It is a multibrand diagnostic tool for independent shops that cannot obviously afford to buy the factory computer and software for each brand they service ( example: BMW's Group Tester One sets the dealer back a cool $16 grand, well beyond the reach of any independent shop, and the Moto Guzzi/Aprilia computer is around $2500 last time I looked. Snap On Tools' Modis Elite for motorcycles is over eight grand, ouch ! ). I have a friend who uses Navigator TXB in his shop and servicing BMW's, he was formerly a tech in a dealer, and he likes it. I have seen how it works with BMW's at least and like it.

http://www.texausa.com/Motorcycle_Diagnosis.htm

#7 ·
Well, well, look at this.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00988422000P

I e-mailed these folks asking if this tool does what the Digital Technician does. The device comes from Italy. They sent me a large pdf in their reply that details all the functions it will perform for every HD model going back many years. I wish I knew how to post a pdf off of my e-mail without posting my e-mail address on this site. It was sent as an attachment. Then the really knowledgeable among the members could examine the document and comment on it's capabilities. From what I can tell, it appears to be able to all the usual repair and maintenance chores anyone could need. It is a multi-brand tool. The manufacturer wants $3200 but it appears we can obtain the same item from Sears Roebuck for two hundred bucks less.

#9 ·
#10 ·
#11 ·
I understand wanting to have what it takes to perform service on the bike but none of these options is realistic for the bike owner unless you own 10 bikes.

What's more realistic is finding a local mechanic who has one of these devices that can assist you when or if you need them. Spending $3K on a diagnostic piece of equipment on the off chance that 10 years from now you might need it is simply foolish.

#12 ·
I no longer have my Night Rod, but got this for my new Ducati Hypermotard. Its not bike specific, just ECU type specific, so any number of VRod owners can share. I'm a software engineer, and while I think in some ways its a bit cobby, it does the job well for $200. I was able to install, calibrate TPS, and trim a new performance ECU in minutes.

http://www.technoresearch.com/Products/VDSTS-Motorbike/VDSTS_Motorbike_Features.htm

#13 ·
Thanks GMP, I was unaware of this device and will look into it further. As for cost vs utility, I keep bikes decades and have learned that after about then years dealers no longer support old bikes. I have a pair of BMW K-100's that dealers won't even touch, half the techs were little kids riding their Big Wheels when the bike was manufactured. They aren't taught about them in tech school. I bought my own gas analyzer because the dealers do not have them any more and a gas analyzer is necessary to set CO correctly ( Bosch L-Jetronic is open loop, no oxygen sensor ). I know more than most techs about my two K bikes and am able to do everything necessary to maintain them.
Over the two or three decades I will own this bike a diagnostic tool will more than pay for itself. Btw, the nearest dealer is over eighty miles away, a big consideration. Most problems can be repaired in the time I would need to ride to and from the dealer.

#14 ·
Studying the Electrical Service Manual the last few evenings it appears the Digital Technician is not used very often. It seems that about ninety percent of all troubleshooting is accomplished with a Breakout Box and a decent volt/ohm meter. Are these available from the dealer?

#15 ·
There's an ECM breakout box listed in Appendix A of the Service Manuals (HD-43876) and a TSSM breakout Box (HD-42682) mentioned in the ED Manual. The Service Manual states that these items must be ordered from Kent-Moore, however, you have to ask an HD dealer to order them for you since Kent-Moore won't sell these (or quote prices) to anybody except an HD dealer.

You could also make these breakout boxes with a little (actually a lot of) wiring and some spare connectors, terminals, and some "Radio Crap" components but I'm not sure if it would be worth all the parts and time. I've always been able to dismantle the connectors and use probes on the terminals to get any voltage signal I needed.

#16 ·
"Radio Crap" huh? I'v always called it Sh!t Shack. Anyway, it appears breakout boxes are sold for many automotive applications. It's a pretty sensible idea. Yup, you can poke sharp objects into the back sides of electrical connectors but a breakout box is so much cleaner. I saw the two breakout boxes towards the back of the Service Manual with all the other tools and will find a way to obtain these. My 2007 Service Manual says nothing about ordering them from Kent-Moore however. Hmmm. I am on very good terms with the HD dealer I bought my very first motorcycle from so I will see if the owner will order these for me. There are a couple of other tools I would like to buy as well.

#18 ·
That's the big drawback of the Digital Technician. I had a line on one too when a dealer went belly up, but unless you can get on HD Net having a DT is useless.

What has worked for me in the past is to arrive at the service counter of your chosen dealer Friday or Saturday afternoon with a paper bag full of cold one's, preferably good quality microbrewed cold ones. Beer equity buys a lot of favors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.