Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

What I really want

8K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  dsb581 
#1 ·
is a caff racer type seat unit for my R. I think that would look triffic.

Jus sayin.

#5 ·
http://dr-mechanik.com/galerie/v-rod-cafe-racer/

A wellknown German bikemag "Custombike" followed the construction in several articles, I just found these links here:
http://www.rockandroad.de/motorrad/test+und+technik/projekt+v+racer_112.html
http://www.rockandroad.de/motorrad/test+und+technik/projekt+v+racer+teil+2_114.html

A lot of work went into this project, it once again shows that anything is possible if you have budget and/or skills. One day I'll have my footpegs backwards and the clip on handle bars!
A cafe racer seat shouldn't be too difficult either.

#9 ·
MOAR!!!!

Not exactly a "bolt-on" tail section, but a similar tail can probably be made to work with a stock frame/fuel tank with the right skillz...

#14 ·
Great link thanks. Think I'll shoot him an email - he really knows his stuff. :notworth::notworth:

No I won't - he doesn't have email. Wow. I thought my Mum was the only person without email.

#13 ·
Mono-shock with extended swing-arm looks good....but the exhaust would burn your inner right thigh/calf. Gravel & road debris would spray your face w/o front fender.

#17 ·
Sigh.... I need more money.

That's the trouble - you start off wanting a slightly different look and before long one thing has led to another and you have to sell your house.

Realistically if I did the seat I'd want to do clip ons and I reckon that would make an R a pretty heavy-steering bike so then I'd need carbon wheels and if I went that far I'd want paint and hell why not forced induction/big bore.

Never stops. :broke:

#20 ·
Actually I hate to admit it but I have the caff racer bug so bad I did consider that. This got me really interested -
http://www.the-norley.com/
and the thing that stopped me was I couldn't find a decent sportster motor/trans anywhere around here without spending stupid money. Then I thought (which is unusual because I normally do first and think after) the oncosts and problems of building a bike even with a made to fit frame are always more than you bargain for.

Then I remembered how much I love my R and how it's a living classic right there in my garage and I thought (that's twice.....) it would be easier to reversibly deck out the R in the style of a cafe racer and just admire myself as I rode past shop windows (don't say you've never done it) and that would be enough. Which led to this post.

And now I'm still thinkin.

#21 ·
IMHO with the cafe racer conversion what you need to be conscious of is the riding position and how to make it work for you after the conversion. I also love the look, not so much for a Vrod though some examples here look great, but if the riding position makes it uncomfortable after a few miles then It's a failed attempt.

:plause:

#23 ·
Apart from the amazing motorized chassis the exhaust on that thing is one of the most beautiful pieces of fabrication I ever saw and I want one. Probably cost more than my bike.

#24 ·
I like so much the REV-2 of wonder customs, but it could be more agile with a 180 rear wheel.

I like very much the Dr-mechanik's cafe racer v-rod rear fender and it can be an easy and not very expensive mod.

I like the Kruger Veon, but I think there isn't weight saving in this bike, even this bike could weight more than the stock bike.

#29 ·
I like the Kruger Veon, but I think there isn't weight saving in this bike, even this bike could weight more than the stock bike.
I didn't know that was possible.:)

Caff racers came into being cos people wanted to off all the extra weight for performance so you have a good point. I suspect with that bike you'd just find the setting you were most happy with and leave it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.