Where to ride in Vegas? - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
ELUSIVE 1
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ride to that Vegas ski resort 40 miles out & back.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE 1 View Post
Ride to that Vegas ski resort 40 miles out & back.
go all that way and only ride 80 miles?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
go all that way and only ride 80 miles?
Could always rent an overnight chalet up there....better then listening to damn ding a ling slot machines
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynurse View Post
Could always rent an overnight chalet up there.
In the summer?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Should be "Where to ride FROM Vegas" as there's no where to ride in Vegas.
Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and lots of sand
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
Should be "Where to ride FROM Vegas" as there's no where to ride in Vegas.
Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and lots of sand
This is true, I have done this, in the Summer and its dreadful, sit in traffic with helmet on, no lane splitting allowed while the sun and heat beats down on you. A ride down the strip at 2-3am is nice to see all the lights etc... perhaps but riding in Vegas proper is a real horror show but watch out for the drunks walking around and driving.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
Rich Moran
Riding the good life

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you can spread the trip over more days:

leave Vegas around 1 PM to make Zion after all the tourists are leaving.

We averaged about 130 or so double up on a 03 VRSCA. AT that speed fill up was every 50 minutes or so. We stopped to ask at a small police department directions and had a chat about riding and speed on the freeway. The officeer advised don't let me catch you at that speed.

Okay, what is the fastest you've nailed? 185, a group ride out of Germany, apparently shipping their high HP machines by air, charted a jet purposely to ride desert roads.

Were they jailed? No. Why not? International liscensed.

What was the fine? thousands per rider and they laffed while paying the fines and told the bailiff, you'll no doubt see us again.

Apparently the autobahn is not as much fun as high plain desert riding.

FYI, if you ride at 100, you'll be tail gated by tractor trailers, 125 you should be okay. An Ultra Electra Glide will not pull over 105 double up. I tried when we visited Colorado last July to ride the Rockies, heading back down to Denver to return the bike, the lead sled is a gutless wonder.

On the east exit side of Zion is Zion Mountain Ranch that has small cottages to let;

http://www.zmr.com/

We timed our trip to the rise of the full moon.

Was a great ride coming out of Zion as the moon was rising in front of us.

Got to the ranch, checked in and walked to the small resaurant there for Buffalo burgers. While walking from the cottage, the coyotes were serenading their songs.

Woke up the next morning strolled outside and took a cowboy leak against a tree, turned and saw over a hundred buffalo watching me no more than 20 - 25 yards away.

Did not know they were even there. I felt some apprehension about seeing so many that were 5 times my size, as I've been chased too may times by bulls in my youth to have pleasent memories of the experience. The buffalo were pretty tame though.

At that time there was no fence on the road to keep them in as you had to pass over the cattle guards on the road to get to the cottage.

We saddled up and headed east and then north up to Bryce canyon. Colder than sin, as this was September when we did that ride. Deer, pleanty of them as you head to Bryce.

We did not spend much time there, our goal was to make the North Rim.

When you leave Bryce and head back down south, control the speed between Kanab utah and Fredonia Arizona as tickets might be expected. Fredonia has a police car with a dummy sitting in it on the west side of the road as you head out 89A to the Kaibab Plateau. This was located by one of their schools...at least they did when we were there.

Once we cleared the town, 89A is almost a straight as an arrow for about 20 - 30 miles with some rises and dips. The painted cliffs are on the left and plateau fauna and desert on the right. On that road we averaged about 140.

Here's a link to the lodge at the North Rim: http://grandcanyonlodgenorth.com/ to rent a hobbit cabin (you'll see why I am calling the cabins this name once spending a night there) and be sure to make a reservation for the sunset show over the Grand Canyon here http://grandcanyonlodgenorth.com/north-rim-dining and request a window seat for best viewing conditions when you make the reservation.

It's best to make your dining reservations as soon as you can becuase if the season is a well toured season, you cannot do a walk in unless some one does not make their reservation.

If you leave early AM, be careful as there are heards of deer roaming the forests of the north side where the road heads back out toward the Kaibab Plateau 89 A.

LV HD does not rent VR's anymore, last time there I enquired as we wanted to rent for a couple of days. They told us too many people smashed the bikes. When someone ended up with one of their VR's in a tree, they said enough is enough.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
bproulxvrod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTJAM View Post
Be happy to be a tour guide. We have a 300 mile loop that gets you Red rock, Mt. Charleston, Overton, Lake Mead park, and the Hoover dam. As you get closer to the time, PM me, and I will make sure Ann and I are available. We just did this with Brian and Amy from RI, with his Dad, Wayne and Mom, Hazel. Big fun. Joe
Take Joe up on this offer . Also I recommend renting a Goldwing from Eagle Rider. Easy to find and extremely helpful. We rode a total of 350 miles in 24-hours and didn't feel it the next day.

2003 100th Anniversary VRSCA bagger edition
bproulxvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
Luvmy04VRod
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Plenty of places to go to. Just let any of us know b4 hand. If on the weekend I will be happy to assist joe/Clancy as much as I can to help you guys out.
PROUD Member Post #149 Las Vegas, NV.

Lord forgive me for what I am about to do but these b@sterds must die!
I will NEVER apologize nor waste my time defending my God-given right to keep and bear arms; The more and bigger the arms, the better
!!
Luvmy04VRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement