Painting engine cases and pulley cover - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
I'm faster
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynurse View Post
You can purchase my black Night Rod Special for $6500 with 45,000 miles
It runs good and has an 1130cc engine.
I can deliver to Deleware for free. That'll save you a bundle .
No thanks my bike only has 5k miles I'm keeping this one for awhile. And when I upgrade I need a 1250cc lol. Does seem like a decent deal though

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
I'm faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
snd450
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try Plastidip. Easy to put on and pretty durable. If you don't like it or it gets messed up it is easy to touch up or you can just peel it off.
snd450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
I'm faster
Registered Full

Painting engine cases and pulley cover

Ok so I got spare clutch cover, alternator cover, and water pump cover being powder coated. I have my dads 09 vrsc model service Manuel which gives me info but I'm confused on if I need gaskets or not? For the water pump cove and clutch cover it says nothin about gaskets or o rings. The book states to use a new alternator gasket but doesn't have a part number. Can sombody help me?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
I'm faster
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm faster View Post
Ok so I got spare clutch cover, alternator cover, and water pump cover being powder coated. I have my dads 09 vrsc model service Manuel which gives me info but I'm confused on if I need gaskets or not? For the water pump cove and clutch cover it says nothin about gaskets or o rings. The book states to use a new alternator gasket but doesn't have a part number. Can sombody help me?

Ok so I found the alternator and clutch gasket using a parts finder. On the smaller secondary clutch cover I have to first remove do I have to buy the o ring for that? Posted a pic. I kno I need number 18 but do I need number 10 aswell?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1358728571.377936.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	197057  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
I'm faster
Registered Full

Also I'm swapping water pump covers in order to do that do I have to replace the gasket and o ring pictured?

Sorry im askin a lot I need to get everything ready to do the swap

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1358729011.220345.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	197065  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
6Speed
Registered Full

Ok I'm about to do the same this week and I noticed your last question wasn't answered. .... it's important to know if any of those gaskets have to be replaced or if just carefully removed without disturbing them would suffice... so consider this post a friendly curious bump!!! C'mon guys help someone out..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
I'm faster
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Speed View Post
Ok I'm about to do the same this week and I noticed your last question wasn't answered. .... it's important to know if any of those gaskets have to be replaced or if just carefully removed without disturbing them would suffice... so consider this post a friendly curious bump!!! C'mon guys help someone out..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I did replace the gaskets for each cover to be safe, even though it looked like I could re use them I'd rather play it safe and buy new ones. But the orings I did not replace. I figured it wasn't necessary on a bike with 5k miles if you have high mileage you might wanna consider replacing the o rings aswell. Like you said just be carful not to pinch the oring. Lmk if u got anymore questions
Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 AM   #23
gongchuan
Registered Full

Any good coater can get this done for you easily. A few things stated before are true, some are not exactly true.

Hope I can shed some light. (I run a small coating biz here in Central FLA)

#1 "once you get it done you can never change it" Not true. Powder can be stripped and redone at any time. Most people don't know that powder is used as a primer for paint all the time so scratching it up and painting over it at a later time is not an issue either.

#2 "sand will be everywhere, in your bearings" This is totally true, BUT any GOOD coater would suggest you pull all bearings and replace to begin with. I wouldn't want my bearings going through the hours of HELL. Sandblasting, in an oven at at least 400 degrees for at least 10 min (minimal unless using a low cure powder in which case 250 degrees minimal) Remember powder cures at PMT (part metal temp) so the parts need to stay in the oven until the part itself reaches baking temp PLUS the 10 to 15 min cure time. Its not as easy as putting it in the oven for 10 min total and pulling it out (if anyone is doing this to your parts take them somewhere else)

#3 "ill prep my parts myself it should save me money" In my case not true. I need to KNOW what grit is being used to prep parts. I need to KNOW that there is NO grease, oil, junk in the sand or media that is being used to prep parts. I do not discount for any prep (Except clean parts, I don't discount BUT will charge more if they come to me all dirty and smeared up with oils and such). If you want a good product and the product to last for years you should really consider having the coater prep your parts. If a coater does not insist on doing this, Im not sure if I would use them, but that's my .02 cents.

If there are any other questions on coatings (powder or ceramic) please let me know. I coat almost day in and day out.

Oh, and YES, powder is more than able to take motor temps (besides exhaust) and believe it or not there are powders that will withstand exhaust temps as well, but they are special powders and a whole different breed.

Sorry for my rant

Paul William Bryant
gongchuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm faster View Post
I have polished engine cases on my 05 b. I want to black my bike out. I've been looking for night rod engine cases but there either scratched up or expensive. One question is do the night rod engine cases fit on the 05 B? I believe it's going to have to be a older night rod since I need a 1130cc case or do the 1250 cases work? Sorry if thts a dumb question I'm new to Harley's lol. Comparing to my dads 09 muscle the clutch right side case won't work because he has a dipstick there and it's a little different. But the left side case looks the same I'd did some quick measurements and they seem to be the same.

My next question is they need to be ceramic coated since the get hot correct?

I also want to get my chrome front pulley cover black also. That can be powder coated though since it does get as hot right? Or should I have that ceramic coated aswell so it matches the cases perfect?

HEY!!!! '05 B's are ment to have as much chrome on them as possible!!!
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

I still have my B's original stock engine cases in boxes. They were removed under 1000 miles to have chrome ones put on. you could powdercoat them..
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement