V Rod Muscle turbo speeds? - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Hi-Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #16
Rift
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gears move the tire HP has nothing to do with the top speed that gear can spin a tire only how fast it can get there. Unless there are changes made to the gears a bike with more hp is still limited by the stock ratio for top speed. You'll get to the top speed faster but if you had two bikes both running at top speed if your bike has 200 hp a bike with 50 hp could catch you eventually if it has the gears to allow it.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
KenG
VRSCD

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Gears move the tire HP has nothing to do with the top speed that gear can spin a tire only how fast it can get there. Unless there are changes made to the gears a bike with more hp is still limited by the stock ratio for top speed. You'll get to the top speed faster but if you had two bikes both running at top speed if your bike has 200 hp a bike with 50 hp could catch you eventually if it has the gears to allow it.
In a vacuum and in frictionless environment this would be true, but if the bike is already struggling then adding HP would in fact increase its top speed. The Fd is directly proportional to velocity squared, so the faster you go the more drag is created and the more HP is required to overcome said drag.

So the 50HP bike may not ever reach its top speed because at those speeds the bikes does not have the power to overcome the effect of drag and reach its mechanical potential, where as the 200HP bike will not only get you there faster but has the power to overcome drag.

Add the effects of friction to drag and you have compounded this even further.

On the VRSC if the rider is a skinny stick then it does not matter but if you are packing some weight and feel like a drogue chute on the interstate at 70MPH then it is likely you will see an increase in top speed. Albeit not much.

2007 VRSC"Devil rod"

Only 1% of the entire population of the United States have ever served in combat putting their lives on the line protecting freedom. They are the true 1%.

I am the 1% ODS, OEF, JSOTF-P, OND
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
Rift
Registered Full

Yes available top speed would increase if factors were keeping you from getting there. But a non turbo vrsc will have the same top speed. Our bikes already have the power to go faster but not the gearbox to let it. Putting a turbo on it will not raise top speed 9000 rpms is the same in any of our bikes unless you have changed final drive. The laws of physics don't change because you put a turbo on it.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Yes available top speed would increase if factors were keeping you from getting there. But a non turbo vrsc will have the same top speed. Our bikes already have the power to go faster but not the gearbox to let it. Putting a turbo on it will not raise top speed 9000 rpms is the same in any of our bikes unless you have changed final drive. The laws of physics don't change because you put a turbo on it.
True... the stuff people say here crack me up.

The top speed of my bike has not changed since the installation of the turbo... it just gets there faster. Seeing as in either form, it will reach the rev limiter, there will be no change in top speed.

If the bike couldn't reach the limiter in stock form, but can now with the turbo, then yes, the top speed will be higher. Not the case with a Vrod.

In loving memory of Betty Boost! 1929-1996
Winner of the 2012 Midwest Thunder7 Johnny Hotfoot Award... Best Rat Bike!

LL Cool K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Rift
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Cool K View Post
True... the stuff people say here crack me up.

The top speed of my bike has not changed since the installation of the turbo... it just gets there faster. Seeing as in either form, it will reach the rev limiter, there will be no change in top speed.

If the bike couldn't reach the limiter in stock form, but can now with the turbo, then yes, the top speed will be higher. Not the case with a Vrod.
You must have messed up somewhere then according to many on here. when installing it did you not align the dilithium crystals correctly to create the proper vortex distortion around your engine to allow it to blow through space correctly?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #21
Raven714

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerinphx View Post
Mine is at 6psi and at 150mph realy bad speed wobble. The bike is still pulling hard so I know can go much faster have to first overcome the wobble.
I have a 2012 V Rod Mussel and at 150 I do not have the wobble however, I put my feet on the rear pegs and lean forward over the tank this may help.
I also have a 2002 GSXR 750 and found that at 170mph I had a wobble but corrected the problem by wearing a backpack. The aerodynamics allows the wind to go over the backpack and not the helmet, the wobble was from the wind hitting the helmet at high speeds.
Raven714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement