Would You Buy Another Harley (other than a V-Rod)? - Page 18 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #256
The Russian
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Apparently law makers don't really enjoy living on the edge
The Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #257
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonVRSCR View Post
Hmmmm...then why do you ride with them???
We've been friends and been riding together for a long time. When I got my BMW they liked it. When I got my Triumph they liked it. But when I got the V-Rod they did not like it at all. They thought Harley had betrayed a sacred oath to keep it all "Made in America" and would have nothing to do with it. They are a little backward and old school, but they'd be first in line if I needed help.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #258
CharlestonVRSCR
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilliam1 View Post
We've been friends and been riding together for a long time. When I got my BMW they liked it. When I got my Triumph they liked it. But when I got the V-Rod they did not like it at all. They thought Harley had betrayed a sacred oath to keep it all "Made in America" and would have nothing to do with it. They are a little backward and old school, but they'd be first in line if I needed help.
Even though I am quite happy with my Dyna Fat Bob...I think it would be a stretch to claim that it is a more Made in America product than my VRSCR. Perhaps someone here has the particulars.
CharlestonVRSCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #259
pScyko
Jarhead

There is a certain percentage that has to be met in order to claim the Made in America toe tag. It is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission. There are loopholes and vague statements to allow for multiple interpretations. Lets say more than 50% of the manufacturing cost must be American. What all can they fit in that "Manufacturing Cost" is up to a group of lawyers and a creative CFO's interpretation. The FTC does not require prior approval to claim the Made in the USA moniker. However, a company must be ready and able to substantiate the claim if such claim is made. I can't find what percentage Harley claims is of American origin and I am not entirely sure they are required to. Link

U.S. content must be disclosed on automobiles and textile, wool, and fur products. There’s no law that requires most other products sold in the U.S. to be marked or labeled Made in USA or have any other disclosure about their amount of U.S. content. However, manufacturers and marketers who choose to make claims about the amount of U.S. content in their products must comply with the FTC’s Made in USA policy.

If you want to buy something truly made in America you are going to have to travel back in time about 60 years.

Globalism has benefits and drawbacks for all. IMO the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Some food for thought: The Honda of America plant in Marysville, Ohio and the Kawasaki Plant in Nebraska both are motorcycle manufacturing plants, not assembly plants. They employ many Americans and put billions of dollars into our economy.

Vintage 2002 Harley Davidson V-Twin_Racing_Street_Custom_A_Model_V-ROD

De-badged vivid black & chrome
Weld Racing Charger5 wheels w/ matching pulley
Semi-topless
16Ga Screamin EagleŽ headers
Screamin EagleŽ Race Tuner
Unlimited Engineering 5.3 Gal gas tank
pScyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #260
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pScyko View Post
There is a certain percentage that has to be met in order to claim the Made in America toe tag. It is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission. There are loopholes and vague statements to allow for multiple interpretations. Lets say more than 50% of the manufacturing cost must be American. What all can they fit in that "Manufacturing Cost" is up to a group of lawyers and a creative CFO's interpretation. The FTC does not require prior approval to claim the Made in the USA moniker. However, a company must be ready and able to substantiate the claim if such claim is made. I can't find what percentage Harley claims is of American origin and I am not entirely sure they are required to. Link

U.S. content must be disclosed on automobiles and textile, wool, and fur products. There’s no law that requires most other products sold in the U.S. to be marked or labeled Made in USA or have any other disclosure about their amount of U.S. content. However, manufacturers and marketers who choose to make claims about the amount of U.S. content in their products must comply with the FTC’s Made in USA policy.

If you want to buy something truly made in America you are going to have to travel back in time about 60 years.

Globalism has benefits and drawbacks for all. IMO the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Some food for thought: The Honda of America plant in Marysville, Ohio and the Kawasaki Plant in Nebraska both are motorcycle manufacturing plants, not assembly plants. They employ many Americans and put billions of dollars into our economy.
Billions? That's a big number.

Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #261
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonVRSCR View Post
Even though I am quite happy with my Dyna Fat Bob...I think it would be a stretch to claim that it is a more Made in America product than my VRSCR. Perhaps someone here has the particulars.
I have no doubt the difference, if any at all, is random and minimal and could go either way. HD does business how they do it and certainly not mandated by a particular model or line.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #262
pScyko
Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Billions? That's a big number.

$17 billion in annual U.S. wages big enough?

Semi-topless
Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #263
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
$17 billion in annual U.S. wages big enough?
Ya, like I said, that's " a BIG number".
Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #264
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

...Some food for thought: The Honda of America plant in Marysville, Ohio and the Kawasaki Plant in Nebraska both are motorcycle manufacturing plants,...
No longer true about Honda,they moved those lines back to Japan a few years ago.

Their East Liberty/ Marysville plants are less that 30 miles from my home. East Liberty was the motorcycle plant.

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #265
pScyko
Jarhead

Oops. I extracted that last bit from a paper I wrote a couple years ago. I'm glad to see they repurposed those plant workers though and didn't just fire them. I'm originally from that area too. Merry Christmas.

Semi-topless
Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #266
Vambo
Banned

Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #267
BimotaRich
Registered Full

Yes, Moto Guzzi makes beautiful cruisers. And they have a new California coming out in spring of 2013 that looks just amazing!
06 HD Streetrod
BimotaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #268
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post
Whats wrong with District of Columbia ?? Rain metal storms 24/7 ?
It's the capital city, and not a very big one, that is not part of any state, comparable to Canberra.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #269
mmesa005
Registered Full

I started with a Harley then went to BWM, Honda, and back to Harley. I really like the Harley, not just the bike but the people who ride them as well. They seem less caught up in bashing metric riders vs. metric riders bashing Harley riders. Plus I like riding an American legend!

mmesa005

2009 VRSCAW
mmesa005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #270
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmesa005 View Post
I started with a Harley then went to BWM, Honda, and back to Harley. I really like the Harley, not just the bike but the people who ride them as well. They seem less caught up in bashing metric riders vs. metric riders bashing Harley riders. Plus I like riding an American legend!
I see you bought a V-Rod but the question remains: Would you buy a Harley other than a V-Rod? I get the "riding an American legend" thing, but the ride and systems operations are what sells me.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement