Buffeting - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrodg View Post
+1
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
pScyko
Jarhead

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveiep68 View Post
Thank you.Does changing to a lighter wheel, as i guess these solid ones are very heavy, noticeably improve performance in terms of acceleration, turning etc?
The last time I had the full disks on was 2010 when my matching Weld pulley was being repaired from an accident.
When changing back to the lighter 5 spoke wheel, it did turn in faster. The difference was significant. The bike felt more nimble. I recently put on a 200mm Metzler rear tire and noticed it changed the turn in feel slightly.
As far as accelleration, changing wheels was really not that noticeable. Obviously any loss of weight will improve it. I don't race it or anything so I don't have any time slips to refer to.

Vintage 2002 Harley Davidson V-Twin_Racing_Street_Custom_A_Model_V-ROD

De-badged vivid black & chrome
Weld Racing Charger5 wheels w/ matching pulley
Semi-topless
16Ga Screamin EagleŽ headers
Screamin EagleŽ Race Tuner
Unlimited Engineering 5.3 Gal gas tank
pScyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Talking

Quote:
Sorry to cause such outrage at asking a question which as i said has been mentioned many times before. Working on that basis no one will be asking anything shortly as there is virtually nothing which hasnt been covered on here at one time or another?

I like my wheels now that they are chromed, and i said that crosswinds had always been a bit unnerving for me, so that means on any wheel, but i would like to know if changing to a lighter wheel will make a NOTICEABLE difference.
Thats all, simple question, and im sure some nice simple sole will be able to think kindly on me and give me a nice simple answer without someone having to "shite" themselves in horror and indignation at the effrontery of me asking a non original question
You're forgiven.
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #34
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Thank you.Does changing to a lighter wheel, as i guess these solid ones are very heavy, noticeably improve performance in terms of acceleration, turning etc?
Of course. Less unsprung weight, the weight that must go up and down with road imperfections, meaning wheels, axles, tires, brake components and lower fork legs, improves ride and improves how well the suspension responds to bumps.

Reducing the weight of a wheel also reduces rotational inertia. You have to consider that in addition to accelerating and decelerating the whole vehicle in a plane parallel to the road, you are accelerating and decelerating rotating masses, your wheel and tire combination. The heavier the wheel, the more energy is required to accelerate it, and that implies it takes more power to increase speed, and to decrease speed. A two pound reduction in wheel weight is equivalent to an additional horsepower. Reducing wheel weight also improves braking performance. The lighter the wheel and tire combo, the less energy is required to slow it's rotation.

Lighter wheels reduces the bike's overall weight, it's rotational inertia and it's unsprung weight, all with no adverse consequences. This is a case of where it truly is all good.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #35
steveiep68
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by pScyko View Post
The last time I had the full disks on was 2010 when my matching Weld pulley was being repaired from an accident.
When changing back to the lighter 5 spoke wheel, it did turn in faster. The difference was significant. The bike felt more nimble. I recently put on a 200mm Metzler rear tire and noticed it changed the turn in feel slightly.
As far as accelleration, changing wheels was really not that noticeable. Obviously any loss of weight will improve it. I don't race it or anything so I don't have any time slips to refer to.
Thanks
steveiep68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
steveiep68
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Of course. Less unsprung weight, the weight that must go up and down with road imperfections, meaning wheels, axles, tires, brake components and lower fork legs, improves ride and improves how well the suspension responds to bumps.

Reducing the weight of a wheel also reduces rotational inertia. You have to consider that in addition to accelerating and decelerating the whole vehicle in a plane parallel to the road, you are accelerating and decelerating rotating masses, your wheel and tire combination. The heavier the wheel, the more energy is required to accelerate it, and that implies it takes more power to increase speed, and to decrease speed. A two pound reduction in wheel weight is equivalent to an additional horsepower. Reducing wheel weight also improves braking performance. The lighter the wheel and tire combo, the less energy is required to slow it's rotation.

Lighter wheels reduces the bike's overall weight, it's rotational inertia and it's unsprung weight, all with no adverse consequences. This is a case of where it truly is all good.
Thank you
Old 12-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #37
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Thanks
Quote:
Thank you

Please hold all applause to the end of the thread and do one long ovation.

Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #38
Dr Dave
Buy American!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post

Humility is a virtue!

Ride it like your life depended on it.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #39
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Humility is a virtue!
Like knowing ones limitations?
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
steveiep68
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post

Obviously the guy who told me Americans don't do sarcasm was taking the p**s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement