Ride From California to New York on VRSCR - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #46
vrscse06
VRSCSE06

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PS: Sorry you sold the bike as I've kept all mine. V-Rod trip is something all should experience.
vrscse06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #47
Troika

Talking about long trips, is there any info on the availability of gas stations among some remote sections of the interstate system.
I am planing a trip from Wash. DC suburb to Phoenix, AZ, and I am concerned on getting gas along the way, especially onI-40 after Amarillo, TX to Flagstaff.
I can go about 130 miles between refuelings on my 2009 V-ROD.
Has anyone traveled on this portion of I-40 and convey their experience in getting fuel.

Thanks...
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #48
tripleted
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am still trying to find the perfect highway pegs for the VRSCR without buying the engine gaurds. Anyone found a good setup? Seriously, I tour for 500+ miles a day on my Vrod. Used to do the same on the Buell. Coast to coast, Sturgis 3 times Vancouver to L.A. a dozen times no problem. When your azz gets sore you ride on one cheek then the other. Red bull and ice water at fuel stops help keep you awake. Just ride!
Imported orange/black US VRSCR model. Drilled airbox, Amsoil air filter, V&H 2:1, Direct Link with Dyno tune@113 RWHP & 80 ft.pounds of torque, chrome engine gaurds with kuryakyn highway pegs, chrome passanger footpeg mounts, "B" model handlebars and clutch line, Supersport windshield, chrome headlight visor, swingarm covers, chrome upper and lower belt gaurds, rear rack and sissy bar, 1" rear shock lowering kit.
tripleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #49
vrsca4

I rode mine to Sturgis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyfast View Post
Hello,

I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle across the US so this May I am going to do just that. I have a VRSCR that has only around 4500 miles on it because the seat is so uncomfortable to be on for any length of time. I really want to ride my Street Rod on the trip, but everyone keeps telling me I am crazy. My thoughts are to change the seat to a corbin. Take the back seat off and fabricate a rack to hold bags ( It seems saddle bags are kind of out.) somehow move the handlebars back and last but not least find someone that makes a good windscreen. So far the stealer is telling me to get a road king and everyone else is telling me to get a BMW GS. Any advise would be great. I don't want to sell my bike but there are some very serious obsticles to overcome to make the trip. If you have pictures of mods I would also appriciate that allot. Thanks i advance.

-Rob
vrsca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #50
vrsca4

On August 5, 2006 I rode my 2004 VRSCA (3.6 gallon tank) with sundowner seat and backrest, seat bag, Harley leather bags and touring windshield to Sturgis from Reston, VA. First day of the trip I rode 1,161 miles to Rochester, Minnesota (see IBA site). I rode over 4,000 miles in a week. I sold my V Rod and Road King this summer and repaced with a Dyna Super Glide Custom. The 2006 trip was for three reasons: 1. meet up with my son, 2. prove that a IBA ride could be done on a V Rod, 3. that 60 year old could still do a Iron Butt ride.
Bill Mitchell
vrsca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #51
bayRDH
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troika View Post
Talking about long trips, is there any info on the availability of gas stations among some remote sections of the interstate system.
I am planing a trip from Wash. DC suburb to Phoenix, AZ, and I am concerned on getting gas along the way, especially onI-40 after Amarillo, TX to Flagstaff.
Has anyone traveled on this portion of I-40 and convey their experience in getting fuel.

Thanks...
Hi there, not sure about the availability of fuel stations from Amarillo, TX to NM stateline but from NM to Flagstaff, AZ, there are towns and/or truckstops along the interstate with fuel stations. I live near Flagstaff and I have ridden my 2003 and 2009 V-rods plenty of times on I-40, roundtrips from AZ, NM, UT and CO. If in doubt, always fuel up when you see a fuel station, that's my motto when I travel on 'remote' scenic byways. Absolutely beautiful scenic roads off the interstate but I understand the necessity to stay safe and close to major roads. There is so much to appreciate and experience on your long road trip through different climates, terrains, and cultures. Good luck and safe travels.
bayRDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #52
Ear2Ear
FFFWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troika View Post

Thanks...
I've driven the stretch from Amarillo to Flagstaff in a car only, but here are some points for you where there is definitely gas...

Amarillo, TX -> Vega, TX = 36 miles
Vega, TX -> Tucumcari, NM = 76 miles
Tucumcari -> Santa Rosa, NM = 60 miles
Santa Rosa -> Clines Corner, NM = 60 miles
Clines Corner -> Albuquerque, NM = 60 miles

There are some other gas stations between those points too. You can always just zoom in on a specific area with Google Maps and search "gas." Plenty of gas stations along I-40 from Albuquerque to Flagstaff. I've made that drive (in a car) a lot. However, instead of going through Flagstaff, I highly recommend a couple alternate routes to Phoenix. Nothing against Flagstaff, I love Flagstaff, but if you're not spending any time there here are two other routes that are just as quick and WAY more enjoyable on a bike (or even a car for that matter) than I-17:

1) Exit I-40 in Holbrook AZ, head S on 77, after a few miles head SW on 377 to Heber (be alert for speed traps on 377), 260 W to Payson, 87 S to Phoenix. Holbrook to Fountain Hills in under 3 hours.

2) Exit I-40 in Winslow AZ, head S on 87 through Strawberry, Pine and Payson on your way to Phoenix. Holbrook to Winslow to Fountain Hills in under 3.5 hours.

Depending on what part of Phoenix your going to you may want to hang a right on Shea Blvd. in Fountain Hills after coming down from Payson.

BUT... if you want to experience some REALLY enjoyable riding and aren't in a mad hurry to get to Phoenix by the time you hit the AZ border, then by all means go to Flagstaff and do this:

3) Take 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona on your way down, a gorgeous decent through Oak Creek Canyon. From Sedona, you could get back on I-17 S via 179 OR... if you're still interested in a WAY better motorcycle route to Phoenix from there... stay on 89A S through Jerome and over Mingus Mountain to Prescott Valley - one of THE BEST motorcycle roads in AZ! Not to mention that Jerome itself is super cool. From Prescott Valley, you could get back to I-17 S via 69 OR you could hit another of AZ's finest motorcycle roads, the 89 south of Prescott. Just stay on 89A past Prescott Valley to 89 S into Prescott and down to Congress & Wickenburg and into Phoenix on 60 and/or 74. You can do all of that route from Flagstaff to Phoenix (~200 miles) in half a day. (~130 miles from Flagstaff to Phoenix on I-17... BORING). And for comparison to the other routes above, it's 90 miles from Holbrook to Flagstaff.

Click on thumbnails below for maps.

How long are you going to be in Phoenix and when? We should ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holbrook -> Phoenix.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	192820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winslow -> Phoenix.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	192821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff -> Sedona.png
Views:	27
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	192826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sedona -> Jerome.png
Views:	26
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	192827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerome -> Prescott Valley.png
Views:	27
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	192828  

Name:	Prescott Valley -> Prescott.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	192829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prescott -> Congress.png
Views:	28
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	192830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Congress -> I-17.png
Views:	33
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	192831  
2012 VRSCF: Bassani B1 slip-ons, K&N, topless, T-Max dynoed by TRASK, Progressive 440's, ISO grips & pegs, H-D Muscle saddlebags w/welded nuts mod (when traveling), BICEP radiator armor/fork badges/axle caps, RRC visor over HIDs w/RJ mod, Dutch Custom LED, reduced-reach handlebars, quick-release +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling), Bitchin Seat - PICS
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #53
jlinderer

Alright, just to be contrary. If someone made me ride cross country, I would trade my V-Rod and my Duece for a Road King. (I rode the V-Rod from Nashville to 85 mi past OKC and the Duece from Delaware to the same spot. They make touring bikes for a reason, folks. Then again, some people like being tied up and beaten.
jlinderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #54
Philthy
Registered Full

I have to install the baseplate and luggage rack and carry a 1 gallon gas can to make the trip from California to Utah for World Superbike. The leg from Tonopah to Ely on US 6 is just a bit too far for the five gallons in my Street Rod unless I exercise more adult restraint than is possible for me on that much empty road. Tonopah to Ely is 167 miles and it is absolutely empty high desert punctuated by mountain passes the whole way. The only gas stop en-route folded up four years ago. Even with an extra gallon you have to be a little careful as screwing it on too hard can suck fuel so fast that even 6 gallons isn't enough. You are down below 30 mpg. 6000-7500 foot altitides, cold temps and big throttle openings do that.
If I go north and take US-50 across there is no problem finding gas (cell phone coverage is another story), but doing so adds a couple of hours to the trip. Slabbing it up I-15 is too boring to even contemplate. Did it once to avoid snow. I almost prefer to ride in the snow. I did last year. Comfort wise with a windshield and custom padded seat the bike has the same riding position and roughly the same weather protection as my favorite BMW, so it is an all day touring bike.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #55
Philorice
Philorice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyfast View Post
Hello,

I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle across the US so this May I am going to do just that. I have a VRSCR that has only around 4500 miles on it because the seat is so uncomfortable to be on for any length of time. I really want to ride my Street Rod on the trip, but everyone keeps telling me I am crazy. My thoughts are to change the seat to a corbin. Take the back seat off and fabricate a rack to hold bags ( It seems saddle bags are kind of out.) somehow move the handlebars back and last but not least find someone that makes a good windscreen. So far the stealer is telling me to get a road king and everyone else is telling me to get a BMW GS. Any advise would be great. I don't want to sell my bike but there are some very serious obsticles to overcome to make the trip. If you have pictures of mods I would also appriciate that allot. Thanks i advance.

-Rob
Another obstical you did not mention is the size of the gas tank!
Philorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #56
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philorice View Post
Another obstical you did not mention is the size of the gas tank!
The Street Rod came with the 5 gallon tank.
He(the original poster) traded the Street Rod for a Road King.

"Not everybody likes us...but we drive some folks wild ! "- Hank III

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."

Last edited by H-D Heathen; 12-25-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: edit out faux pas
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #57
thedoctor77
NSFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D Heathen View Post
BTW
Take a look, Heathen. Philo's been a member since July 2009!

That's just his/her first post!

I can fix this for you, but you'll pay a terrible price.

If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

The customer is always right and we shall make them pay dearly for their arrogance.

2006 VRSCR Street Rod
VMS Racing Bar End Mirrors (MBEM0930BK)
thedoctor77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #58
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Oh well... Guess I need to pay closer attention.
Blame it on the weather.

"Not everybody likes us...but we drive some folks wild ! "- Hank III

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #59
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Try russel day long saddles. They make the most comfortable saddles. They have a suspension system they install. Day long comfort. There are cheaper routes, but these guys know what they are doing. Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #60
RF_R_US
Lifetime Premium

Cool

I plan on doing a cross country on my "R" as well, but not concrete plans as yet. The Cortech bags work very well for me on weekend trips, here's what they look like....

John

PS: You can get a detachable windscreen as I've got one, but am currently preferring the wide open wind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	440137632700204.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	193141  
"D" headlight, Kuryakan LED mirrors, Heavycycles Stage II Tail Light, Rinehart 2:1, Works Custom 14.25" Shocks, Racetech Forks (best investment $$$ can buy), Wicked Airbox, Thundermax (now I can REALLY screw up this bike), etc., etc.

Other Fossil Fuel Burning Toys: '95 GPZ1100, '96 KLR650, '73 Chevy Nova SS yeah it's :bad:
RF_R_US is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement