Ride From California to New York on VRSCR - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
All right,everybody lighten up. Could he have modded the R made the trip ? Certainly, it's been done by many.

Is the Road King better suited for a comfortable cross country tour of the US? In my opinion,yes. Of the two bikes,it is the better tool for the job.

Heresy,Blasphemy? Ha,that's my stock in trade !

"Not everybody likes us...but we drive some folks wild ! "- Hank III

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
ninja01
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleted View Post
Road King? You can never post to this forum again. Have lots of limited fun with your new bike and spend lots of money on it trying to make as much HP as any Vrod. Hope you don't break anything when you get over 110 HP.
Yes... feel the hate. Let it flow through you.
ninja01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
Riverdog
Just Ride

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I racked up 5,000 miles in my first few months on my DX. But I did eventually sell it and bought a 2009 Road King Classic. Now I've got 52k miles on my FLHRC and I've ridden it coast to coast more than once, and done NY to FL straight ( 1,250 miles) They are very comfortable bikes.

But that being said...I wish I had kept my Vrod... I also want a BMW... But the fact remains you can do it on any bike. it's just a matter of how it's done.
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #34
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Then you get someone like me who suffers serious back pain after half an hour on a Harley bagger due to the weird, to me, feet forward and up, arms up in the air and back slouched over riding position. But I can ride a Street Rod with a windshield straight through from California to Utah with no back pain whatsoever because the slightly leaned forward torso position with my feet below allows me to hold my back erect so there is no pressure on the lumbar.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #35
BobEd

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought my VROD to ride not to go places. Having said that, the seat is very uncomfortable. I bought an AirHawk inflatable pad and it helps a lot. I read a review that is is more comfortable than a gel pad but I have not tried on of those. Good luck.
BobEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #36
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gel pads do not work, nor does memory foam, for a motorcycle seat. What works is a firm dense foam covered by a softer less dense foam. Which foams and in what proportions depend on the individual. Rather than spend a bunch of money on a fancy aftermarket seat find a skilled local upholsterer and have a seat made to your posterior. I have a wonderful custom seat built up from a stock seat on one of my Rs that cost me a whopping $200.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #37
lastinline
on the hwy to hell

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Gel pads do not work, nor does memory foam, for a motorcycle seat. What works is a firm dense foam covered by a softer less dense foam. Which foams and in what proportions depend on the individual. Rather than spend a bunch of money on a fancy aftermarket seat find a skilled local upholsterer and have a seat made to your posterior. I have a wonderful custom seat built up from a stock seat on one of my Rs that cost me a whopping $200.
That's what I did, 1" of closed cell foam with 1/2" open cell on top all on top of the factory 1" closed cell, did it myself for around $10

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #38
Sean B
Registered Full

I think the vrods are find for long rides, with just a few basic mods.
I came over to the U.S. a few years back to ride around it. And bought a VROD to do it on.
The bike was a B model with easy reach bars, a sundowner seat, and a wind shield. I went riding pretty solidly for about 2 and a half months, for anywhere from 6 - 16 hours on the bike on any given day.
(the longer days were usually when i misjudged the distance or got a bit lost.)
I found i could usually ride for about 8-10 hours before i started to get sore. This obviously includes stopping for lunch, petrol etc.
Don't know what options there are for a street rod, but these were all just standard harley parts.
You might want to get some highway pegs too, if you have mid controls.
I found the tank size ok on the B model in the areas you are talking about riding as there were heaps of servos (thats gas stations for you American kids). It just a bit of an inconvenience having to stop an extra few times, but it does force you to take a break.
There were some other parts of the country though were i was definitely running on vapours and even ran out of gas once.

Thats my 2cents.
Sean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #39
wi.st.rod
Greg

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyfast View Post
I have traded the R for a road king. I will miss the R and qould love to have another one down the road.
Should have gone with a Road Glide!
2006 VRSCR JE Illusions Paint, Renegade Wheels/Rotors/Pulley, Metzelers (200R), Corbin Seat, Supertrapp Fatshots 2:2, PCIII, K&N Filter, WP Shocks, Drag Bars, Flame Grips, Joker Machine Mirrors, Mini Sissy Bar, LED Taillight, Pondo Cover/Caps, Handydan Screens, Chrome: Master Cylinders, Clam Shell, Belt Guards, Bullet Turn Signals, Vented Side Covers, Switch Housings, Coolant Hose Cover, Headlamp Housing/Visor, Rear Pegs/Brackets, Reg. Cover, Slotted Footpegs

2009 HD FLTR Black
wi.st.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #40
tazzman

trip cross us

hey! i also planning to go from cali to ny in may 2013! r u still going?? i have 2012 v rod muscle 4500 miles on it!
tazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #41
007strd

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your advise. I have traded the R for a road king. I will miss the R and qould love to have another one down the road. The street rod i believe is the best Harley ever made.

Thanks again.

P.S. if anyone is looking for a really nice R with 4400 miles. They will have one at Oakland Harley very soon. It has been a very loved bike for 4 years
Sorry to hear that you decided to sell/trade your VRSCR. While I agree that the seat does not seem all that comfortable, I now have over 25k on mine and still have the stock seat. Yes, I do some long distance riding, and after the first few miles into a trip, I don't notice the seat anymore. I've also installed a WindVest, and it takes most of the wind pressure off my body. - The Road King is an excellent bike, but obviously different from any V-Rod. Have fun on your trip, and don't forget to stop and smell the roses ...
007strd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Hello,

I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle across the US so this May I am going to do just that. I have a VRSCR that has only around 4500 miles on it because the seat is so uncomfortable to be on for any length of time. I really want to ride my Street Rod on the trip, but everyone keeps telling me I am crazy. My thoughts are to change the seat to a corbin. Take the back seat off and fabricate a rack to hold bags ( It seems saddle bags are kind of out.) somehow move the handlebars back and last but not least find someone that makes a good windscreen. So far the stealer is telling me to get a road king and everyone else is telling me to get a BMW GS. Any advise would be great. I don't want to sell my bike but there are some very serious obsticles to overcome to make the trip. If you have pictures of mods I would also appriciate that allot. Thanks i advance.

-Rob
I've test rode the VRSCR 5 times over the years...."hyper bent" knees to mid controls hurt after the first 5 miles. Get a DX or F for the trip. Extend your legs out and enjoy the ride. I've completed 4 cross country trips, Cali to Maryland.
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #43
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynurse View Post
I've test rode the VRSCR 5 times over the years...."hyper bent" knees to mid controls hurt after the first 5 miles. Get a DX or F for the trip. Extend your legs out and enjoy the ride. I've completed 4 cross country trips, Cali to Maryland.
Too late,he bought a Road King.

"Not everybody likes us...but we drive some folks wild ! "- Hank III

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..."
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #44
vrscse06
VRSCSE06

Ride is more than doable. Found Harley Sundowner seats more than acceptable. Butt is going to get sore but enjoying the ride is what matter's. Have done 7,600 miles on 2-lane road in 16 days on a Screamin' Eagle Deuce with a Sundowner. 5,00 miles on '06 Screamin' Eagle V-Rod (VRSCSE) through NE & Apps. (also with a Sundowner) in 8 days. I recommend a windshield (screen). It will save your butt in the rain. Can't count the miles or time spent on the SE Convertible and where I've been but again, using a Sundowner and windshield. Also have done over 1,000 per day on the Sundowner. Enjoy your ride.
vrscse06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #45
Troika

Hi.. most interested in finding how you did modify your seat.. could you provide a summary of the steps you took?
Thanks
Advertisement