Corrosion on Night Rod & Muscle? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
Big Tav
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Corrosion on Night Rod & Muscle?

Hi guys, I have a question about rust and corrosion on the DX & F V-Rods. I had a DX (in my sig) in Oz but I now live in the UK. Edinburgh to be precise. Now we get a fair bit of rain and snow up there as opposed to Sydney. Now I never ride my bikes in the rain but it is a lot more likely I will get caught out in UK.

The reason for my question is I was at the Highland show and they had a Victory Stand there and I was looking at the High Ball (which I really, really like) and I told him I had a DX. He was quick to point out the finish on a High Ball and told me how much better it was that the Harley. He said they had a Victory bike that has been left outside and used daily for 6 years and the finish is still spot on. No rust or corrosion at all. He said there is no chance that would be the case on a Harley.

Is this true or is he just trying to sell me a High Ball? I would appreciate hearing back from any owners who live in a similar climate to me where there is a lot of rain and can snow too and is fairly cold.
I won't be riding anyway once the temps get down towards zero and they start gritting the roads as the saly would just kill the bikes.

I would be devastated to buy another V-Rod to find out it started rusting straight away! Would the Muscle be a lot more work to maintain and more likely to suffer corrosion than an old shape DX like I had since the engine and wheels are alloy finished and not all black?

Hear from you all soon.
Arnott Air Ride // Black Diamond Grips & Pegs // Relocated Smoked Indicators // Clear LED Tail light // Blacked Out Mesh Work // Custom Black Fork Covers // Black Bars & Levers // HD Axle Covers // Joker Machine VI Mirrors (not yet installed) // Custom Plate
Big Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Muscled_up
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have had a rocket 3 and my current F and parts rust.

Its metal and alloy so if your not anal and wasshing drying and i mean every drop of water off it it will rust or tarnish over time.

JMO

167 RWHP
103 FT LB

Garrett GT25 Ball Bearing Turbo
Custom Built Headers
Custom Built Exhaust
Barnett HD Clutch
Dynojet Quickshifter
SMT Billet Hand Grips,Pegs,Shifter
BPP Belt Guard
440 Progressives
Metzelers
RRC Screen
Custom Air Brushing on Tank
Custom Tank Badges
Joker Machine controls,mirrors and mini LEDs

Gloss Black Powder Coating on:
Peg hangers
Brake and Gear arms
Back Rack
Wheels
Pulley & Cush Drive

Saddle Bags When travelling
Muscled_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
BT
BiaTches

Buy 2 bikes.......a shitter and the good one.....

You wouldn't buy air cooled would you after owning a vrod ?
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Big Tav
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I could do! (I hope I don't get flamed for that!)

Since a Muscle or a DX is about £11,000-£13,000 in the UK it is a lot of money to tie up for a short ride once or twice a month at best. I am going to keep my bike for a while though. If I bought one it would kill me if it started to rust and we all know a rusty harley is ruined and costs a fortune to bring back to life. My DX started to have some rust where the standard exhaust was taken off. It really didn't take long and that was in Sydney weather!

My other options are to buy a Fat Bob for about £8-9000 or a M109R. You can pick good ones up for £6,500-£8,000 for near new. That would be an easier bike to maintain since it has more protective bodywork and I still really like them too (for the price).
Arnott Air Ride // Black Diamond Grips & Pegs // Relocated Smoked Indicators // Clear LED Tail light // Blacked Out Mesh Work // Custom Black Fork Covers // Black Bars & Levers // HD Axle Covers // Joker Machine VI Mirrors (not yet installed) // Custom Plate
Big Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Yes,the DX frame oxidizes and corrodes if paint gets chipped or scuffed....especially near the salty shoreline or on salted roads..
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
dicktango
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm in wild,windy,wet West Wales & have had my 08 DX for nearly 3 years........paint is flaking on top & bottom yokes(common I believe),fork seal caps - & worst - all round edge of rear mudguard. All will be rectified over winter, but I would have expected better.....
dicktango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Rich Moran
Riding the good life

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out this thread:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169374
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Wick
Wick

Buy the V Rod the blokes on the Victory will be that far behind they won't know wether it is rusting or not.
I live in Tassie have been caught in the rain many a time and as you know not real warm in the winter (or summer) and I have no signs of rust anywhere on my 08 DX.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement