Avon - Metzler...My Finding...My 2 Cents.. Whatever you like to call it... - Page 6 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #76
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Good time to bring back a Tire thread.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #77
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was sold on the Cobras already. My Triumph had them on when I bought it and I don't have anything bad to say about them. I ran Michelins on my BMW and if they weren't so exspensive I'd run them on everything - but they are. My '07 AW only has about 3500 miles and has the OE Dunlops on it still. By reading other posts here I have learned that I need to run 40psi in the Dunlops or they cup badly. I don't ride the V that agressively because it tends to drag parts, so the Dunlops seem OK for now, but will go with Cobras next.
THX for the write-up.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #78
Tassie Tony
IQ test result -

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm only about a thousand kilometres into new avons on my NRS.First impressions after the stock Dunnies were as reported faster turn in.My first ride had me cutting corners and generally feeling a bit uneasy with it all.I don't know about you guys but until I've done a few miles after I've had both wheels off I'm nervous,have I done everything up goes through my head repeatedly.This was probably adding to the new feel which I have now got a handle on but it was a marked difference.The front is still showing the fine moulding strip excess in the centre which says to me longer lasting rubber.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #79
Oriondk
Registered Full

I put Cobras on my NRS and the difference was apparent the first time I made a turn. The Dunlops were scary, would slip without warning, especially if I hit a bump mid corner. With the Cobras I've scraped the pegs with no problems at all.

Dave
Life's too mysterious
Don't take it serious

Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's
too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage, and it seems like
you're the only person sitting in the audience?

Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day.
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #80
BigPeyd
N R S N V

I have over 42k on my '08 NRS and I'm on my fourth set of Avons. Changed the dunlops after my first 500 miles. It's time for a new rear, due to a puncture, but my front is still decent. I really have enjoyed the Avons but I think I'm going to try a set of Metzlers this go around. I want to see how the Metzlers are since Avons are all I know.

BERTHA/THE BLACK PANTHER

TOTALLY STOCK
BigPeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #81
cycorod
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
can't go wrong either way...METZ & AVONS are the top 2 choices IMHO. my cobras need to be replaced but even now, in wet conditions, they still hold the road pretty good.
cycorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #82
Phillthy
Work in Progress.

I'll throw in the Pirelli Night Dragons, I have found these to be a great tyre. I have 10K mile on them and still going strong. Handle very well in all conditions and better than the Metz that I took off which in turn was better than the Dungflop that was on it first.

I am going to stick with Pirelli.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #83
jmt21022
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillthy View Post
I'll throw in the Pirelli Night Dragons, I have found these to be a great tyre. I have 10K mile on them and still going strong. Handle very well in all conditions and better than the Metz that I took off which in turn was better than the Dungflop that was on it first.

I am going to stick with Pirelli.
I agree with this 100%! Original Dunlops were crap. I tried Metzlers and they handled better but developed a wierd wear pattern, only lasted one season, about 3500 miles. I've had the Night Dragons on for well over 5000 miles and I'm willing to bet I get another season out of them. No strange wear pattern, no handling or ride issues at all. Awesome tires! I believe I bought them from Rocky Mountain ATV and didn't have $350 in the pair including shipping.
#204/1400 VRSCX
BUB Jug Huggers, K&N Top on, PCIII
jmt21022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #84
Russ
Registered Useless

I can't explain it. I'm am somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 km on my front tire (Avon) and there's still no appreciable wear pattern. I used to run Metz before this, and both tires were slick at 10-12,000 km. I can't speak for the rear yet, but it's almost 10,000-km and still looks new. Weird.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #85
camaro_corey

Lux or russ, any cupping issues at this point?

I've never ran through the tread on the Dunlop yet but they cup so bad by 10, 000 that it gets almost dangerous.
camaro_corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #86
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corey View Post

I've never ran through the tread on the Dunlop yet but they cup so bad by 10, 000 that it gets almost dangerous.
I have not, I had a problem with 1 tire but then realized the wheel was severely bent right before switching it.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #87
Russ
Registered Useless

Quote:
Nothing appreciable. My front Avon with the high mileage certainly doesn't look new, more like a midlife Metz with 5,000 km. Yet they still look round with even tread depth. No unusual wear patterns.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #88
Oriondk
Registered Full

Quote:

You didn't ask me, but my front Dunlop was so badly cupped at 9,000 miles that I replaced it. I met a guy on a Ducati Monster that had the same problem with the Dunlops he was running.

Dave
Life's too mysterious
Don't take it serious

Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's
too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage, and it seems like
you're the only person sitting in the audience?

Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day.
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement