Dunlop vs Metzeler Vrod tires - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #46
vertu

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just fitted the brand new Metzeler... i'm more confident with these than the Dunlop.

vertu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #47
harley kid
Registered Full

ME880's

Hello everyone

I put on 5100 miles last year. My bike had 961 when I brought it up from the states here to Ontario.

I do not like the Dunlops! Even in cool mornings I found they liked to slip around corners.

Metzeler has been around for a very long time and the majority of feed back I have heard is that the ME 800's are a superior tire.

I have them ordered and will be putting them on in a couple of weeks.

I have heard to go easy for the first 200 or so miles.

spring is here!
harley kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #48
Shavvo
impede none & evade

Dunlops are more durable with regard to toughness. After 120,000 miles on this bike I had both multiple Metz and Dunlop sets.

I have used plug repairs in both. I got screws or staples in the tires TDC and couldn't afford simply buy a new tire. I owned an auto shop during the 80's and used my known high quality tire plugs. I rode both front and rears to the bitter end, even some chord showing through, plugs, all of them held up just fine. I put most of my miles on at 75-85 mph. No problems. There is a reason for telling you this.

I have plugged lots of tires and these Dunlops. If you have done this you know the procedure, pull the nail, ream the hole pushing the plug & trim it.

When I got the Metzlers, I had to plug them as well too, both front and rear. I pulled the nail, got the reamer ready, shoved it in and it slid in like butter and bottomed out on the rim since I was anticipating it to be very hard to insert. Too easy really. The second repair was the same ease with the front Metz. The Dunlops were definitely thicker and tougher in hide plys and required far more force to insert the reamer.

Then it happened.

I was on a trip back in very hot summer weather. Metzlers front and rear. There were my second set no plugs. You see, I read all the raving about the Metzlers..purely anecdotal. I was at about the 275 mile mark of the trip and had entered the Balt Tunnel of I95 north.

I heard a muffled pop/whoosh echo in the tunnel and that leveling out feeling when the rear tire has gone flat. It had about 25% wear on it when this happened. A first for me. I immediately realized what had happened. Side wall failure. No interest from Metzler. This designer tire was more tender than the Dunlops. No Dunlop has ever blown out on me in all those miles in southern American heat. No more Metzlers for me unless I get a deal on them.

I will say that the Dunlop may not be as sticky a tire on paper, but realize that if you do not drive to the edge of performance traction factors, leaning at 47 degrees, there is not much difference at all. In fact, when you are on a trip and need toughness for stuff in the road, like muffler parts & other debris, Metzlers do not compete with Dunlop. Oh, I am not a tire rep in any way. I am a plumber.

The age of a company doesn’t verify that it is automatic quality. That is grade school thinking. I had Goodyears on my BMW back in the 80's and they sucked. I was always getting them lathed for roundness & balance. Then my buddies at the tire shop told me about a Japanese tire they just got in. Cheaper than the Goodyears and they said I should at least try them. They were called Nitto. I put them on and never looked back. They were fantastic and stayed in balance and round until worn out.
Shavvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #49
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shavvo View Post
Dunlops are more durable with regard to toughness. After 120,000 miles on this bike I had both multiple Metz and Dunlop sets.

I have used plug repairs in both. I got screws or staples in the tires TDC and couldn't afford simply buy a new tire. I owned an auto shop during the 80's and used my known high quality tire plugs. I rode both front and rears to the bitter end, even some chord showing through, plugs, all of them held up just fine. I put most of my miles on at 75-85 mph. No problems. There is a reason for telling you this.

I have plugged lots of tires and these Dunlops. If you have done this you know the procedure, pull the nail, ream the hole pushing the plug & trim it.

When I got the Metzlers, I had to plug them as well too, both front and rear. I pulled the nail, got the reamer ready, shoved it in and it slid in like butter and bottomed out on the rim since I was anticipating it to be very hard to insert. Too easy really. The second repair was the same ease with the front Metz. The Dunlops were definitely thicker and tougher in hide plys and required far more force to insert the reamer.

Then it happened.

I was on a trip back in very hot summer weather. Metzlers front and rear. There were my second set no plugs. You see, I read all the raving about the Metzlers..purely anecdotal. I was at about the 275 mile mark of the trip and had entered the Balt Tunnel of I95 north.

I heard a muffled pop/whoosh echo in the tunnel and that leveling out feeling when the rear tire has gone flat. It had about 25% wear on it when this happened. A first for me. I immediately realized what had happened. Side wall failure. No interest from Metzler. This designer tire was more tender than the Dunlops. No Dunlop has ever blown out on me in all those miles in southern American heat. No more Metzlers for me unless I get a deal on them. I will say that the Dunlop may not be as sticky a tire on paper, but realize that if you do not drive to the edge of performance traction factors, leaning at 47 degrees, there is not much difference at all. In fact, when you are on a trip and need toughness for stuff in the road, like muffler parts & other debris, Metzlers do not compete with Dunlop. Oh, I am not a tire rep in any way. I am a plumber.The age of a company doesn’t verify that it is automatic quality. That is grade school thinking. I had Goodyears on my BMW back in the 80's and they sucked. I was always getting them lathed for roundness & balance. Then my buddies at the tire shop told me about a Japanese tire they just got in. Cheaper than the Goodyears and they said I should at least try them. They were called Nitto. I put them on and never looked back. They were fantastic and stayed in balance and round until worn out.
Stating that you use plugs on motorcycle tires ruined your credibility in my opinion. Running MC tires to the chord also needlessly dangerous. I stopped reading at that point.

Ya, I know, I've heard other large claims about plugs. You only have 2 tires, if 1 goes at speed you are done. Why risk your life over a few hundred bucks? Even vulcanizing is a risk too great in my book but side of the road patches? Holy Crap.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #50
drd
Registered Full

Dunlop themselves say plugs are fine to a certain speed

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
drd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #51
Kermit Z
I love this bike!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Stating that you use plugs on motorcycle tires ruined your credibility in my opinion. Running MC tires to the chord also needlessly dangerous. I stopped reading at that point.

Ya, I know, I've heard other large claims about plugs. You only have 2 tires, if 1 goes at speed you are done. Why risk your life over a few hundred bucks? Even vulcanizing is a risk too great in my book but side of the road patches? Holy Crap.
Agreed!!! I have plugged tires (Rears) and only run them until I could get a new one. It sux but safety first
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #52
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Plugs are for lawnmowers and quads. I cant argue with people who have not had an issue with a plug but on a bike I dont want that problem. One reason I paid more for the road hazzard.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #53
pScyko
Jarhead

Switched to a 120 & 200 Metz midway through the year. I have to say, I didn't expect this much difference. Metz are way stickier both wet and dry. Less body weight transfer is required to maintain control taking the same turns at the same speed when compared to the Dunlops. You can also hear the difference on my garage floor. I won't be going back to Dunlop.

Vintage 2002 Harley Davidson V-Twin_Racing_Street_Custom_A_Model_V-ROD

De-badged vivid black & chrome
Weld Racing Charger5 wheels w/ matching pulley
Semi-topless
16Ga Screamin Eagle® headers
Screamin Eagle® Race Tuner
Unlimited Engineering 5.3 Gal gas tank
pScyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #54
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd View Post
Dunlop themselves say plugs are fine to a certain speed
Well they can come and scrape your azz off the pavement too.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #55
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

There used to be a rather large price difference between Metz and Avons so I always went Metz, about 3 years ago that difference all bu disappeared so I tried Avons. Metz are great tires, especially compared to Dunlops but Avons are even that much better the Metz. Biggest difference is Wear, Metz wear out really quickly and without warning, I have stated before that they "seem to wear out over night" and many people agreed. All of a sudden you have a large flat spot on your tire that wasntthere 3 miles ago, its weird.
Here is a comparison of Metz and Avons I made 2 years ago:,

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
LAst year I switched to Avon Cobras from 5 years of Metz tires. Reason? Well Avons Used to be $50+ More Per tire in the past. For some reason Metz $ have gone up and Avons have gone Down in the last 24 months so I did it.
Well I last time I changed tires I used a Honda shop and asked them to put the used aside so I could compare, I never expected to have such a difference.
1) Avons Ride Better, They chew up and Stick to the canyon roads like no other tire I have had, The rear 200 is Higher than Stock and seems to Roll into corners better than both Metz and Dunlops.
2) In the rain (yes I do that occasionally) the Avons win again. While riding around last month with a Visiting Forum Member a rain Storm hit while we where in the canyons and 30 miles of freeway from home. Well the Avons once agn Out performed any other tire I have used on this bike. (Avons, Dunlops, Metz)
3) Most surprising is the Wear pattern. I figured (and heard from others) that Avons are Stickier but wear out quickly. NOT TRUE!!!
I have complained in the past that Metz seem to Wear Out over night. You will be riding along fine one day than 2 days later your tire looks and feels like it is 10 years old!, The rear tires develop a Flat Spot that goes all the way around the tire and makes riding problematic.

Here is the Pict of the 2 tires side by side. The Metz (Off the Bike) has about 11k on it, the Avon (on the Bike) was put on last July and has 10.5k on it right now.
Notice the Metz one side is completely gone, no tread left what so ever while the other side appears to have a Bit of Life remaning.
The Avon on the Other hand looks brand new to me still. I cannot see having to change this tire anytime soon at all from the looks of the tread and MOST IMPORTANT the EVEN WEAR PATTERN!!! I ride the same as always. 35% FReeway, 10% street and 55% Canyon roads.
I am sold on the Avons.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #56
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Lux is a NASCAR driver, left turns only!
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #57
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastVRJohnny View Post
Lux is a NASCAR driver, left turns only!
He carrys his ego on that side.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #58
FastVRJohnny
Banned

I do like the Christy Canyon garbage can.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #59
pScyko
Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
He carrys his ego on that side.
Wouldn't a side car be required for that? JK

Vintage 2002 Harley Davidson V-Twin_Racing_Street_Custom_A_Model_V-ROD

De-badged vivid black & chrome
Weld Racing Charger5 wheels w/ matching pulley
Semi-topless
16Ga Screamin Eagle® headers
Screamin Eagle® Race Tuner
Unlimited Engineering 5.3 Gal gas tank
pScyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #60
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

My ego is very well centered and causes no wear and tear, after all its My Ego we are talking about not just some Common peasants ego.
Advertisement