City bike's road test: Guzzi Griso vs V-Rod - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #46
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
I think that is the reason for the majority of all vehicles failing.

I make my living in automobile manufacturing. I can attest to you Lux that rider abuse/error is not a sole factor. I would pin blame more on cheap corporate cost cutting measures such as cheaper made source parts and materials.
DungeonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonWorks View Post
I make my living in automobile manufacturing. I can attest to you Lux that rider abuse/error is not a sole factor. I would pin blame more on cheap corporate cost cutting measures such as cheaper made source parts and materials.
How much do you know specifically about Moto Guzzi's? How much hands on do you have with them? They might not be the most powerful bikes on the market, nor the most advanced design, but there is nothing low budget about the way they are screwed together. With routine maintenance Guzzis will deliver six digit mileages and never strand you anywhere.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
How much do you know specifically about Moto Guzzi's? How much hands on do you have with them? They might not be the most powerful bikes on the market, nor the most advanced design, but there is nothing low budget about the way they are screwed together. With routine maintenance Guzzis will deliver six digit mileages and never strand you anywhere.

None with Moto Guzzi other than helping a friend paint his years ago. I was responding to Lux's post about the reason for the "majority of vehicles failing" and not Moto Guzzi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf
I think that is the reason for the majority of all vehicles failing.
I never rode a Gucci or Guzzi or whatever it is.
DungeonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #49
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like both alot, but really cant compare the two bikes. They are completely made for different styles of riding. I would like to have both though.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #50
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

The Grisso can be really beautiful with acouple custom touches

WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #51
S1wmike
Registered Full

I own both the Street Rod and a 2001 moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Not the same as the Grisio but the family lineage can be seen betweeen the two Guzzis. I like them both but give a slight hedge towards the Guzzi in the twisties and the Street Rod the hedge in acceleration
S1wmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #52
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1wmike View Post
I own both the Street Rod and a 2001 moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Not the same as the Grisio but the family lineage can be seen betweeen the two Guzzis. I like them both but give a slight hedge towards the Guzzi in the twisties and the Street Rod the hedge in acceleration
The V11 Sport is by far my favorite Guzzi. You ought to look up a guy named Will Creedon. He has EPROMs for your bike's ECM that are very well regarded.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #53
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee View Post
The Grisso can be really beautiful with acouple custom touches

That's one sharp Grisso. I had previously not considered the Grisso to be one of their better looking offerings but that one would turn my head.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #54
S1wmike
Registered Full

My 2001 V11 Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1301778301866.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	192887  
S1wmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #55
FatbyRR
Registered Full

I almost bought a Grisio before I bought my V Rod. (second Rod I've owned)
Several things kept me away from Moto Guzzi.
First they are ALL PLASTIC Body work.
Second is dealer network and guys on the Guzzi forum explaining LACK OF SUPPORT from the Factory when things fail.
I list of new 8v Guzzi failings, fuel line falling off and rebuilding in parking lots. ( More than a few!!)
Failed fuel pumps.
Poor electrical connections!!

They are fast and handle, but they are not built nor have the number of servicing dealers Harley does.
There was much talk about WHO can set up and sync a Grisio, and they correct "reflash" required to get to NOT SURGE.

I didn't want a construction set so I bought the Harley V Rod.
Known product and dealer network, should the worst happen on the road!
FatbyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #56
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

They are owned by Piaggio, as is Aprilia. In that they probably share some common fuel system parts.
The Aprilia has been plagued by a similar fuel system problem, like what the early V-rods experienced with the Fuel Flange issue. A return or pressure line on the fuel pump, mounted in the tank, would spit off preventing the engine to get fuel when tank was below holf full.
The hose was a slip on affair and there were no ridges or barbs on the nozzle on which the line fit. A pain to fix but doable, but I wouldn't want to do it in a parking lot.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatbyRR View Post
Second is dealer network and guys on the Guzzi forum explaining LACK OF SUPPORT from the Factory when things fail.
I list of new 8v Guzzi failings, fuel line falling off and rebuilding in parking lots. ( More than a few!!)
Failed fuel pumps.

They are fast and handle, but they are not built nor have the number of servicing dealers Harley does.
There was much talk about WHO can set up and sync a Grisio, and they correct "reflash" required to get to NOT SURGE.

Other than the dealer network, doesn't sound all that different from the V-Rod. We've seen fuel line and fuel flange failures, fuel pump failures, leaky fuel flange o-rings, miserable stock mapping (especially cold running), exhaust heat shield problems on early Rs, fuel lever sender problems on all years, and 2007 and later bikes the body work except for the air box lid is plastic.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #58
thegreyman
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatbyRR View Post
Failed fuel pumps.

I've owned both. The VROD is a great platform a great bike. But correct me If I am wrong-isn't the VROD also plastic ( fenders, tank?).

Anyhow, I sold my R. I still miss it, I miss it alot. The griso is great, yeah dealer network sucks, but such is life. As for reliability, 1k miles so far on a used bike with 5K miles on it and I do not have any issues. Now from the Guzzi forums, it seem lots of older guzzi's had issues and the early model GRISOs had issues, ( valves and lines- as you noted). My understanding is that they have been taken care of in the newer models.

So far as a SPORT STANDARD/ CAFE/ ROADSTER/ urban bike and weekend canyon carver- the GRISO is an outstanding choice.

That said, I love VRODs and I am saving up for another one- hopefully this summer

Enjoy the article

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-lemars-griso/

2006 Street Rod
2009 Guzzi Griso
2011 Yamaha Stryker (sold)
thegreyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #59
FatbyRR
Registered Full

My 07 V rod (W) was metal tank (air cover) Metal fenders.
I put 17,800 mi. on my last V Rod with ONLY the gage issue!
FatbyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement