Out-gunned and maybe even outclassed today!!! - Page 6 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #76
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddeacon;2371557[B
]V-Rod really isn't that fast unless you compare it to other HDs or cruisers[/B]. I came off a Ducati Streetfighter, tuned to 165hp at the crank and a little over 400# wet. The V-Rod feels like a snail after riding the Duc for the last time. But, for a huge power cruiser, it is still the bomb. I live 300+ miles from the nearest curve (well, that's almost true) and the V-Rod is much more enjoyable overall on the roads I ride, even if it isn't nearly as powerful or quick. What I do miss more than the power or handling is the braking actually.
That first sentence says it all. It is, after all, a cruiser, a true cruiser.
I'm sure however, that HD loves when their bike gets compared to Ducat's, BMW's and the like, even if not favorable. HD in the same breathe with Ducati? Even after 10 years? Yup, they can market. And I have not ridden another 6-700# bike that stops as well, ABS or not.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #77
Speeddeacon
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Didn't mean to stir a pot with my comments. I don't know any official times for acceleration and braking, just stating my riding impressions. My V-Rod is not nearly as quick or responsive as my Streetfighter was and I didn't expect it to be. More torque, more HP and less weight equals quicker acceleration (of course gearing, tires, etc. come into play but for the sake of discussion we'll leave that out).

Now, I do admit that my V-Rod is brand new and the brakes are not fully bedded in so that may taint my impression, but with all of my other "new" bikes the improvement was not that tremendous as they bedded in, ABS or no. Perhaps that will not be the case on the V-Rod and they will significanly improve with miles. That being said, the Streetfighter's big Brembos reigned in the power and weight like right now. Grab a big handful of right lever and a bit of rear pedal to stabilize and you generate a lot of g's as you stop very, very quickly. On my first rides on the V-Rod, I notice it takes a lot more distance to bring her to a stop. Again, I don't expect the V-Rod to stop as quickly, I was just saying that I miss that more than the power. I do love the V-Rod and it really meets my needs for the riding I do now.
Speeddeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #78
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
You guys are like women critisizing their hubbys all the time and dreaming if they where like this or that friend's hubby... instead of enjoying what you have or else go find another one....

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #79
Speeddeacon
Registered Full

Doing a bit a research to validate/invalidate my impressions, I came across this article.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/103...Smackdown.aspx
Speeddeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #80
thegreyman
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post
You guys are like women critisizing their hubbys all the time and dreaming if they where like this or that friend's hubby... instead of enjoying what you have or else go find another one....

We have gotten way off topic. I merely compared the performance of the Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 vs my HD Street Rod. Both of these bikes are semi sport standards with a touch of muscle crusier- TRUE hybrids.

I was not comparing the GRISO with the standard VROD, regardless of model, all other VRODS minus the VRSCR are true muscle cruisers and they are posses industry leading numbers in performance. I do not think many other power cruisers can keep up with the VROD. I have tested the Victory Judge and Hammer. I have owner a Star Stryker and ridden the Star Warrior. The aforementioned bikes can't touch the VROD. If was looking at the power cruiser class- then I would order me a 2013 Night Rod special maybe a Muscle.

Cheers

2006 Street Rod
2009 Guzzi Griso
2011 Yamaha Stryker (sold)
thegreyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #81
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddeacon View Post
Doing a bit a research to validate/invalidate my impressions, I came across this article.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/103...Smackdown.aspx
They all appear to be cruisers, so I didn't read it. I prefer physcis and engineering :-)

If you fit a sports bike and a V-Rod with no ABS and equally sticky tyres, the low, long V-Rod chassis will mash its front wheel into the ground under braking, giving extra grip and the leaving the rear capable of offering a little help, while the sports bike will try and rotate round the front wheel. So a rider skilled enough to howl the front wheel on both bikes will win on the V-Rod.

However, he'll have to be Superman. The V-Rod has cheap, nasty front suspension, last generation brakes, and the geometry means if you do lose the front you will need incontinence pants. So no ABS and non GP level rider, the sports bike wins.

However put ABS on both bikes, when both riders stamp and pull on everything and let the ABS do its thing, unless the road is bumpy enough to upset the cheap Showas, the V-Rod should win.

Or to put it another way, I don't need ABS on my sports bike, I can howl the tyres happily, and if the wheel locks (happens every other year) I have time to release and re-apply. On the V-Rod I dare not howl the wheels, I don't have enough feel (couple of times I locked the front I nearly had a heart attack), so I have to brake more gently, so I lose out to my sports bike. Give me ABS, and the deal changes.

So if you reckon the brakes on your V-Rod feel weak, it because you are not applying them hard enough. And if you have no ABS, damn right!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #82
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
The long low chassis gives it massive stopping grip, but the front end geometry makes it hard to judge. The brakes are old tech too. Conclusion : abs equipped bikes stop very fast, non ABS bikes are way too easy to crash. Wish I had ABS. There's also the question of training - every time braking is discussed on here thete is a vast shitstorm of rubbish from people who urgently need to do a track day.
If ever a bike needed abs, it is the v-rod, so full marks to Harley for offering it quite early, before it became normal.

Sent from my e1808_v75_jbaol1_5647 using Motorcycle.com App
Louis, some V-Rods like very early A models, the X and the R came with braided stainless steel hoses, and they make a big difference in brake feel. Even with the later model Brembo set up, rubber hoses like the D and DX have ruin the brake feel. So does poor brake system maintenance.

The first A I rode, an early production press bike (a friend wrote for a motorcycle mag and let me hammer a magazine test mule, heh, heh, heh) had the old Kelsey Hayes calipers but braided steel hoses , freshly serviced, etc., and I could howl the front tire right on the verge of lock, time after time. I was very surprised how good that bike's brakes worked considering the hardware. Later bikes with rubber hoses felt like old Superglide brakes. Terrible. On the R with Brembos and braided hoses, the brakes work great. Very little lever travel and the lever is hard. You can dance right on the edge of locking the front tire and not scare yourself.

I would consider braided hoses for your bike if it doesn't have them, and fresh brake fluid.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #83
Philthy
Registered Full

Despite the shared hardware and similar styling, the Street Rod feels very different from any other member of the V-Rod family. If you haven't had a chance to ride an R, find one and ride it, because if you are basing your opinion of how an R stacks up against something like a Guzzi or any other sporty standard based on your ownership of one of the other V-Rod models, you are missing some data. The R has a lot more cornering clearance, more rear suspension travel, rides better, turns in much differently and is completely neutral when cranked over on a footpeg. Also, the R's riding positon with the torso leaned forward puts the riders head closer to the top clamp and changes your whole perception of what the bike is doing underneath you. There is more communication through the controls, and the bike responds to rider inputs quicker. Whether you like the R or not is not the question here. The R is a very different motorcycle from other V-Rod models and is far closer to something like that Guzzi than the other V-Rod models.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #84
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Louis, some V-Rods like very early A models, the X and the R came with braided stainless steel hoses, and they make a big difference in brake feel. Even with the later model Brembo set up, rubber hoses like the D and DX have ruin the brake feel. So does poor brake system maintenance.

The first A I rode, an early production press bike (a friend wrote for a motorcycle mag and let me hammer a magazine test mule, heh, heh, heh) had the old Kelsey Hayes calipers but braided steel hoses , freshly serviced, etc., and I could howl the front tire right on the verge of lock, time after time. I was very surprised how good that bike's brakes worked considering the hardware. Later bikes with rubber hoses felt like old Superglide brakes. Terrible. On the R with Brembos and braided hoses, the brakes work great. Very little lever travel and the lever is hard. You can dance right on the edge of locking the front tire and not scare yourself.

I would consider braided hoses for your bike if it doesn't have them, and fresh brake fluid.
Fair enough, but I've had mine since new, and I've never felt even a little inclined to howl the tyre. No braided lines, but the brake is like a plank anyway. Have you ever locked the front on one? The front just whips away, you have to be damn quick to get it back.

Gimme ABS!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #85
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Louis, some V-Rods like very early A models, the X and the R came with braided stainless steel hoses, and they make a big difference in brake feel. Even with the later model Brembo set up, rubber hoses like the D and DX have ruin the brake feel.

Changed mine out within the first year, In fact every bike. SS lines are a huge upgrade.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #86
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Fair enough, but I've had mine since new, and I've never felt even a little inclined to howl the tyre. No braided lines, but the brake is like a plank anyway. Have you ever locked the front on one? The front just whips away, you have to be damn quick to get it back.

Gimme ABS!
I'm not Chris Pfieffer. Any bike I lock the front tire on whips away from me in about a New York heartbeat. How that guy can lock a front tire and ride the resulting skid half way across the demonstration area without falling down is one of those skills that keeps me coming back to watch him perform.

But, I can get right up to the point of locking the Rs front tire repeatably, and that is good enough for me.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #87
thegreyman
Registered Full

Quote:
They all appear to be cruisers, so I didn't read it. I prefer physcis and engineering :-)

If you fit a sports bike and a V-Rod with no ABS and equally sticky tyres, the low, long V-Rod chassis will mash its front wheel into the ground under braking, giving extra grip and the leaving the rear capable of offering a little help, while the sports bike will try and rotate round the front wheel. So a rider skilled enough to howl the front wheel on both bikes will win on the V-Rod.

However, he'll have to be Superman. The V-Rod has cheap, nasty front suspension, last generation brakes, and the geometry means if you do lose the front you will need incontinence pants. So no ABS and non GP level rider, the sports bike wins.

However put ABS on both bikes, when both riders stamp and pull on everything and let the ABS do its thing, unless the road is bumpy enough to upset the cheap Showas, the V-Rod should win.

Or to put it another way, I don't need ABS on my sports bike, I can howl the tyres happily, and if the wheel locks (happens every other year) I have time to release and re-apply. On the V-Rod I dare not howl the wheels, I don't have enough feel (couple of times I locked the front I nearly had a heart attack), so I have to brake more gently, so I lose out to my sports bike. Give me ABS, and the deal changes.

So if you reckon the brakes on your V-Rod feel weak, it because you are not applying them hard enough. And if you have no ABS, damn right!

Louis-

Initial ride report as follows:
Bike: 2009 Griso 1200. GTrX exhaust, PWR commander 5 with custom map. Suspension dialed in.

Took my griso for a short ride around my area. Roughly about 20 miles of backroads, minimal traffic. This thing is a monster. With the custom map and exhaust, it's just very very powerful. Not in a supersport race bike but torque and more torque that one needs. It's nimble and handles like a champ. It everything the street rod should be. When I got home, I took my street rod for a ride as well, while it still put a smile on my face, it did not match my Griso. The only place it wins is in the looks column. The griso is like a rotweiler, short compact and muscular. The street rod like a rodesian ridgeback. Long and lean. Next paycheck- I will put an exhaust and tune the street rod, hopefully that will make it more competitive. So this post, backs up my original post. No buyers remorse here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121216_170739.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	192652  

2006 Street Rod
2009 Guzzi Griso
2011 Yamaha Stryker (sold)

Last edited by thegreyman; 12-16-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
thegreyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #88
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would get rid of those terrible Street Rod wheels before anything else.
Advertisement