To get more practice or skip it. - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
The Russian
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Take riders course . Get another V. F'em. What doesn't kill you
The Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Jesus Christ look at all the Great and Might Ones passing judgement here, what crap, (My Favorite of course "Raised MY insurance rates through the cost of your stupidity" and Here I thought Sheryl Crowe was from Missouri not New Mexico)
If you want to "Hang Out" with Sport bike riders then buy a Sports bike, although this place is Full OF "Pros" that could give any F1 or MotoGP rider a lesson or 2 (even though they ride less then 5000 miles a year) and they will tell you this bike can "Keep Up with any Ducati, Busa Blah Blah Blah." You will always be pushing the bike into situations its not meant for. If you are an idiot then you will never learn how to ride properly anyways and if thats true you should buy a different HD like a Softail etc.. because they are slow and heavy and you will not have to "Learn" to ride instead putt around and shine it and stand in parking lots talking about riding. I never rode a bike before my VROD, took it slow learned how it works, many around here gave me the "Its too big and technical for a 1st bike" crap, 106k miles later I still have it no problems. You know if you have learned anything, buying a bike you don't like or is way under powered for what you are looking for isnt the answer as you will push them too.

Also if you can afford to keep repairing a bike like a VRSC then more power to you if you do continue in this fashion.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
GwaiiEagle
Registered Full

A bike you can beat on?

OMFG you are a danger to everyone on the road.

I was stupid enough to start with a 1977 KZ1000 as my first bike.

But like Dirty Harry Callaghan said 'A Man has got to know his Limitations.'

You don't know yours, and that is a bad thing for you and everyone around you.

Slammed on your brakes? Good Luck trying to steer out of it like that.

Take a riders training course. Then take a riders race course training.

Then realize the stupidity of trying to keep up with someone who may have both street and race training and years of experience besides.

Consider yourself lucky.

Do two Years from now Self a favour and snap out of that crap
GwaiiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
steveiep68
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
Jesus Christ look at all the Great and Might Ones passing judgement here, what crap, (My Favorite of course "Raised MY insurance rates through the cost of your stupidity" and Here I thought Sheryl Crowe was from Missouri not New Mexico)
If you want to "Hang Out" with Sport bike riders then buy a Sports bike, although this place is Full OF "Pros" that could give any F1 or MotoGP rider a lesson or 2 (even though they ride less then 5000 miles a year) and they will tell you this bike can "Keep Up with any Ducati, Busa Blah Blah Blah." You will always be pushing the bike into situations its not meant for. If you are an idiot then you will never learn how to ride properly anyways and if thats true you should buy a different HD like a Softail etc.. because they are slow and heavy and you will not have to "Learn" to ride instead putt around and shine it and stand in parking lots talking about riding. I never rode a bike before my VROD, took it slow learned how it works, many around here gave me the "Its too big and technical for a 1st bike" crap, 106k miles later I still have it no problems. You know if you have learned anything, buying a bike you don't like or is way under powered for what you are looking for isnt the answer as you will push them too.

Also if you can afford to keep repairing a bike like a VRSC then more power to you if you do continue in this fashion.
you have your bike after 106k miles. exactly... you didn't do what he did
steveiep68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveiep68 View Post
you have your bike after 106k miles. exactly... you didn't do what he did
No but it is my 1st bike. My point is an idiot is an idiot no matter the situation. By producing this thread it leads me to believe there is something telling him he is going about it wrong. But if he is out there pushing a VRSC with Sport bikes he will never win that battle and if he has no trouble crashing and fixing a expensive bike he wil just ride a shite bike into the ground causing himself even more problems in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

my favorite has to be "You are a danger to us all out on the road, get a car instead" Because none of us have ever had close calls with those and would "Prefer" someone lacking in judgement behind the wheel instead. great stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
At 18 y/o,my first m'cycle was a brand new on-off road 1978 Honda XL125. Practice was in a grass field with elbow & knee pads. Yeah,I fell down several times and got back on. Stay alive dude.
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
VrodPete
Elephant Motors Rock

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just hope he's figured out that hitting the brakes in that situation was probably not the best idea. (of course "not realizing" he was going over the center line isn't too cool either) He got off really lucky, and it wasn't clear to me whether he wore his leathers/protective gear or didn't wear them. If he wasn't wearing any gear, I did not hear that he learned to wear it either.

My opinion here, as dark as it may seem, is that he'll be worm food soon without a complete change in his attitude. David - it was one thing for you to get a V-Rod as a first bike and learn to ride - you were obviously responsible about it. I don't get that sense from the OP, and I don't get any sense that things will change on his choice of a second bike.

HD SE II Cams, 3/8" Falicon Crank, Carillo Rods, CP Pistons, DA Fitz Engine Brace, Destroyer Injectors, Doherty oil pan, DA Fitz Head Port/Polish/+1mm Valves+springs, DA Fitz 58mm TBs, ARP studs, V&H 2nd Gear+Shift Shaft, Motohouligan Airbox, Wegner 2->1 Exhaust with Supertrapp V5

152.77 HP, 101.06 TQ

Other Toys: '01 BMW K1200LT, '76 Honda CB550F, '81 Mooney M20J

VrodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrodPete View Post
I just hope he's figured out that hitting the brakes in that situation was probably not the best idea. (of course "not realizing" he was going over the center line isn't too cool either) He got off really lucky, and it wasn't clear to me whether he wore his leathers/protective gear or didn't wear them. If he wasn't wearing any gear, I did not hear that he learned to wear it either.

My opinion here, as dark as it may seem, is that he'll be worm food soon without a complete change in his attitude. David - it was one thing for you to get a V-Rod as a first bike and learn to ride - you were obviously responsible about it. I don't get that sense from the OP, and I don't get any sense that things will change on his choice of a second bike.
y'all prolly scared the beejesus outta him an' now he won't even ride a tricycle..
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
This is my first bike ever (@ 34 yrs old). I've put 12k miles on it in 4 years time. I took the MSF course. I ride at my own pace & that's that. If you are reckless in a car, (lead foot etc) you'll probably be reckless on a bike. Since he asked, I think the OP should take a riding course or don't ride ever again. He sounds like someone who is reckless no matter what they are operating.

Iceberg Blue 8K H.I.D. Conversion
Sundowner
Fender Base Plate/Low Sissy Bar/Luggage Rack
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
Superchicken covers
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
Chromex Coated CFR
Amsoil
Metzeler
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner

http://vreelandsharley.com/?page_id=674
rippie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #26
Ear2Ear
FFFWD

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilliam1 View Post
Many of these posts are far too critical of you. You realized you were overriding your skill level and that shows you know where you're at. What you failed to observe was the consequences of doing so and that shows immaturity. You could have been killed, or worse, killed someone.

My suggestions are:

- Read and understand this post:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42548
an excellent read for ALL riders. I made a Word document from it to
refer to often.

- Take a certified motorcycle training course. You need to know how
and when to brake, how to properly turn, etc. (do not take these
things for granted - there is a right way and a wrong way).
see below

- Whatever bike you decide to buy, make sure it 100% mechanically
operational with good (not old or worn) tires.

- Slow down. Just because you can go fast does not mean you can
ride well. Speed increases the possibility of accidients by reducing
reaction time.
You said "i pushed my self way beyond my skill, i could tell after
a couple close calls that i was way way beyond my skill level."

Know you limits and ride within them!

- Before you ride - prepare yourself mentally. If you are not feeling
well, are preoccupied with other things, are late and in a hurry -
take the car. You need 100% of your focus to ride safely.

- Keep wearing proper riding gear. Many times it's not up to you
when or where someone else will cause an accident. My bet
is that many of the members here that critisized you do not wear
proper riding gear.

I could go on and on, but it's really up to you to realize there's more to riding correctly and safely than anyone could know without being taught. Learn and Live.

One thing I'd like to add is to always LOOK where you want the bike to go. If the bike is capable, it will follow that path. Keep your eyes parallel to the ground and look down the line you want to travel. You should NEVER drift into the center line. Force yourself to keep your eyes on the clear, safe path.

To answer your specific question... I believe it's extremely detrimental to have the mindset that you need to by a "beater" bike next. That says "I expect to crash again while I'm learning to improve." Riding a motorcycle isn't like skiing or snowboarding. You don't get better because you push yourself to the point of falling down. My uncle logged over 250,000 miles on multiple motorcycles with ZERO accidents throughout his riding career. It's not the bike, it's the attitude in your head.

The investment in a MSF course is negligible compared to the cost of repairing or buying a new motorcycle, or injuring/killing yourself and/or someone else. Please visit the link below and schedule a course. Besides learning how to ride safely, you will learn to ride BETTER, and thus actually ENJOY your riding even more.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Ride safe and keep the shiny side up!
2012 VRSCF: Bassani B1 slip-ons, K&N, topless, T-Max dynoed by TRASK, Progressive 440's, ISO grips & pegs, H-D Muscle saddlebags w/welded nuts mod (when traveling), BICEP radiator armor/fork badges/axle caps, RRC visor over HIDs w/RJ mod, Dutch Custom LED, reduced-reach handlebars, +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling), Bitchin Seat - PICS

2003 Ducati 999 Track Bike
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
The Russian
Registered Full

Op just trying to learn and got caught in a little. let the man be, people. I've been down, you've been down too. So did he. Not smartest way but so what?
Op I'm glad ur ok, bro. Buy what u gonna ride, its the best way to learn.
Coward dies a thousand times
The Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
boscoe
Registered Full

I'll be gentle.
Buy a Kawsaki 650 twin or an 883 Sportster, take a riding class, do some track days and buy FULL gear.
This does not mean, a leather vest, wallet chain and do-rag.
This means a quality (Shoei or Arai) FULL-FACE helmet, full-fingered gloves, actual motorcyle boots, a jacket with built-in body armor and kevlar lined jeans (though a full-leather suit is better).
Then, enjoy!
Nothing wrong with your questions.
(Now to bruise your ego: The real way is buy a 250 cc honda rebel, move up to a 500cc twin and then to a 1300 cc twin. A 600 cc sport bike is a wicked machine, not necessarily for beginners. It will smoke ANY Harley stock-to-stock).
boscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Take a course. wear the gear. practice. obey the law. gain experience, respect the bike and the road. good luck. Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #30
capncarp
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(My Favorite of course "Raised MY insurance rates through the cost of your stupidity" and Here I thought Sheryl Crowe was from Missouri not New Mexico)

Lux, name one insurance company that issues insurance policies in New Mexico ONLY! So if it is not a state specific company, then it goes into the national equation; truly, it goes into the national data base anyway. So whayt's you point, that you don't have.
capncarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement