To get more practice or skip it. - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
mx4lifejac
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To get more practice or skip it.

Ok guys here is the story.

5 months ago i bought a Night rod as my first bike. I literally had never even sat on a bike before. I practiced for a few hours then i hit the road. I did pretty good and quickly felt confident. To the point were i was wondering "do i REALLY need leather/gear. (aside from a helmet i wore some nights) A few weeks later i started hanging out with a group of sportbikers. I didnt want to be left behind so i pushed my self way beyond my skill, i could tell after a couple close calls that i was way way beyond my skill level.

Well exactly 1 month after my purchase, i was following the boys up a mountain at 1am. I was going about 70. On a wide turn (nothing" dangerous") i got carried away with not slowing down/not wanting to be left behind, and drifted into the center lane. With the low beam and dark road i remember struggling to look ahead and thinking "that cant be a center divide"... Well it was... Less then a stones trow away a center island started and i was doing 70mph... I slammed the brakes and prepared to fly. I hit it and flew a few feet, flipped mid air, landed kind of on the side of my butt and arm as i skid. Lucky for me i landed/skid mostly on dirt and only about 10ft on pavemet. It took me a minute before i could stand up from shock and pain to my ribs. In the end I only suffered road rash and a cracked/bruised rib (idk i did not go to the doctor but it hurt like hell for a couple of months)

Thanks to my new friends i got home safely, my bike was paid off by the insurance and 5 months later i am ready for round 2...

I was just searching Craigslist and found a old, ugly 600 sportbike for $500 bucks.

To my question (FINALLY)... Do you guys think that purchasing a beater bike for practice is a good idea until i buy another vrod in a few months? Its not like i am" learning" from scratch to drive, use the clutch, turn and other basics. I have about 2k miles experience on me, wich is not much i know. But my problem was not the driving, it was the attitude. Something that thanks to my accident i have learned to keep in check. GEAR UP, and DONT PUSH IT. I tell everyone that this accident was the best thing to ever happen to me. It tought me RESPECT THE BIKE AND ROAD first hand. Now, I know experience is always good but will i really benefit from this purchase? This is a small, light, sport bike. The v rod is the exact opposite, big, heavy, long, cruiser. And like i said, i already know the basics...

To me it sounds as if i was purchasing a mini van to practice driving a Semi...

So what do you guys think?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Motorcycle.com Free App
mx4lifejac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
A lot of members here will tell you to buy what you will be riding. I will just tell you to ride your own ride, meaning not to take chances to keep up with someone else. The more seat time that you get, the more skills you will develop. The VROD was the first bike of many forum members. (Not for me...)
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
capncarp
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx4lifejac View Post
And like i said, i already know the basics...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Motorcycle.com Free App
I like this part of your post; it shows that you really learned: NOTHING.

You bought a first bike that was high performance for a first bike, did not respect it, rode in the middle of the night (see below*), thought a "couple of hours"' of practice and you were good to go, questioned the usefulness of safety gear (gear that only protects YOU), failed to heed the warnings of a "few close calls", let your "rod" do the talking, damn near killed yourself, raised MY insurance rates through the cost of your stupidity and think that you are ready for "round two"?

* And after how many beers?

NO!

Before you get on the road, in any vehicle, do every one a favor.... Buy a rocket powered motorcycle, duplicate the famous Snake River Canyon Jump by Knievel and remove yourself from the gene pool (Google Darwin Awards).

You are stupid, not capable of redemption and please don't ride again, lest you plow into an SUV's rear door and kill an innocent 5 year old, because of your inability to realize that you are an idiot.

Sorry, but that's my reaction to what you posted. You are a mental case. Your ego was and will "write checks that you can't cash". Your post indicates that you have learned NOTHING!
capncarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
BT
I lift heavy things.

Too over confident buddy.......buy a car.
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
lastinline
on the hwy to hell

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
here in Texas it's mandatory to take the riders course, that's a place to start, stay away from sport bikes and start with a cruiser and don't run with people you have to try to keep up with, most of all take it easy, learn, it's not an over nite thing and don't be stupid in your riding
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Mr Large
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Riding the sport bike your going to get isn`t going to help you unless you just go out and ride easily not pushing it,you are lucky to not have serious injuries,a riders course will help unless your just a wacko who will take out some poor unsuspecting soul,take it easy,enjoy the ride alive!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
steveiep68
Registered Full

Honestly, i think you shouldn't ride a bike. Just idiotic stuff, how old are you? No , really?
steveiep68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Acid666
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I started a couple of years ago by looking for a used Honda Shadow 750. They're everywhere, weak on power, and great on gas mileage. Damn near bulletproof Honda motor. Got it for cheap, fixed it up a little... Learned to ride on that for a whole season. Learned not only what I wanted in my next bike, but what I 1) needed, and also what i didn't need.

I handled the power very well when I moved to the Vrod. I did have an accident early on but it wasn't entirely my fault (sign showing the speed of the next curve was bent around the post and I didn't see it).
I highly recommend the motorcycle course even as a refresher, and a weaker bike. I'd prefer people start on weaker cruisers because they're usually easy to handle, and super cheap on insurance when compared to any sport bike.
But you've gotta respect the bike and stay within your riding ability. When I cruise with sport bike buddies, I hang back and take it at my own pace. I tell them if they get too far ahead and don't wanna wait on me, just to keep going. But I usually don't ride with people that push the limits that hard.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
italianrick
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post

You bought a first bike that was high performance for a first bike, did not respect it, rode in the middle of the night (see below*), thought a "couple of hours"' of practice and you were good to go, questioned the usefulness of safety gear (gear that only protects YOU), failed to heed the warnings of a "few close calls", let your "rod" do the talking, damn near killed yourself, raised MY insurance rates through the cost of your stupidity and think that you are ready for "round two"?

NO!

Before you get on the road, in any vehicle, do every one a favor.... Buy a rocket powered motorcycle, duplicate the famous Snake River Canyon Jump by Knievel and remove yourself from the gene pool (Google Darwin Awards).

You are stupid, not capable of redemption and please don't ride again, lest you plow into an SUV's rear door and kill an innocent 5 year old, because of your inability to realize that you are an idiot.

Sorry, but that's my reaction to what you posted. You are a mental case. Your ego was and will "write checks that you can't cash". Your post indicates that you have learned NOTHING!
Wow thats hard ease up. You never did anything stupid in your life. Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes . Op probably did
italianrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
santeg
Fah q 2

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post

NO!

down a couple qualudes and calm down a bit,
Then go for a ride on your bike, maybe a few beers will help.

that was harsh
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Many of these posts are far too critical of you. You realized you were overriding your skill level and that shows you know where you're at. What you failed to observe was the consequences of doing so and that shows immaturity. You could have been killed, or worse, killed someone.

My suggestions are:

- Read and understand this post:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42548

- Take a certified motorcycle training course. You need to know how
and when to brake, how to properly turn, etc. (do not take these
things for granted - there is a right way and a wrong way).

- Whatever bike you decide to buy, make sure it 100% mechanically
operational with good (not old or worn) tires.

- Slow down. Just because you can go fast does not mean you can
ride well. Speed increases the possibility of accidients by reducing
reaction time.

- Before you ride - prepare yourself mentally. If you are not feeling
well, are preoccupied with other things, are late and in a hurry -
take the car. You need 100% of your focus to ride safely.

- Keep wearing proper riding gear. Many times it's not up to you
when or where someone else will cause an accident. My bet
is that many of the members here that critisized you do not wear
proper riding gear.

I could go on and on, but it's really up to you to realize there's more to riding correctly and safely than anyone could know without being taught. Learn and Live.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
FastVRJohnny
Banned

The VR isn't a cheap bike to fix if you crash it. Also, this isn't a sport bike. Riding position, weight and handling are no where near similar.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
JV Rod
Lifetime Premium

The experienced rider has probably taken a few spills here and there. The inexperienced may have a few spills coming theire way. The over-confident, aggressive, uneducated, inexperienced rider is a danger to self and potentially others!
The heavier the bike, the harder it will be to control. You can learn on a lighter, more nimble bike but you will not be able to apply everything you've learned to your bigger bike across the board. Don't mess with any sportbikes untill you've got the skills to handle YOUR machine.
Safety courses and the post/link provided by PGilliam help you UNDERSTAND how to increase your chances of arriving safely.
Of course follow other good advice from some of our 1130 members: "Watch out for the cagers! They are trying to kill you." and, "Ride like you're invisible".
Carp's post may seem harsh, but I also don't want to ride with someone that did what said you did in that post. BTW, my VRSCF is my first but I've been riding since the 70s. I had a few spills back then and that was enough!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
Kermit Z
I love this bike!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First off, Slow Down!!! experience trumps cockiness every time. Personally, i would look for a less powerful bike to learn on, and learn is what you still need to do. That's why training courses have 250's to learn on. Personally, i don't think anyone has any business on anything over a 600 when first learning to ride. And even a 600 sportbike is too much bike for a newbie. Your goal should be Not Crashing, so buying a beater in my opinion is not a great idea. Also, hang with folks that ride better than you, not faster. On a group ride if you fall behind, don't worry about it. If your new friends give you shit, leave. Practice as much as you can, DON'T SKIP IT!! Again, this is IHMO so take it as you will.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
steveiep68
Registered Full

I don't think the early replies, including mine, were harsh honestly. Someone who tells you he practised for a couple of hours, had just started riding, and was last seen at 70 mph at 1 am in the morning, wanging up a mountain road, and crashing into the central reservation which he couldn't even see!
Come on

People do make mistakes and learn from them its true, and can be given a break, however they sometimes learn quicker and maybe don't kill themselves or someone else, when they are told that their behaviour is idiotic
steveiep68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement