Hi, well after a few years of collecting various parts I finally pulled the trigger and started my major rebuild. Before this I had done some minor stuff – stage II cam’s, 58MM TB, SE Heads, CRF exhaust, lowered, b-riser & drag bars and a bunch of bling on my VRSCA 2003. The bike itself had about 600 miles when I bought it a few years back in a great condition (lot’s of fair weather riders here in Seattle that only ride for a season or two before mothballing their bikes).
Well, after buying the bike the forum bug hit me, and I spent many a late evening absorbing all the goodness this provides. After a while, I formulated the build that was for me – a 1370 BB using a Destroyer Crank – I know not a hugely popular build lately with the community siding more on rewelds, but this really spoke to me.
So off I went for a few years slowly collecting parts. Not only did I want to do the engine, but the entire bike as well – wheels, tins, rear end size, frame/engine colour – pretty much the “big one” for my bike. During that time I collected a great chunk of gear for the bike (minus the engine), here’s a sample
Polished Rotors + bolts
Brembo Brakes + Chrome Bling
SE Stainless Brake Lines
Reactor 240 + Puller/Compensator
Chrome Swing Arm
Polished Rotor + Chrome Rear Brake
Offset 26t + 28T pulleys
Rizoma Mid Controls
Complete Set of custom painted tins (I will talk about that later) + Custom Short Rear guard
Radiator Mesh guards
Chrome Voltage regulator
So, a lot of work just there itself. But that is only half of it right? Then onto the engine – this is where it was fun (expensive! But fun all the same). Here is some of the things I managed to collect over the years in pursuit of this build (I had already installed Stage II Cam’s, SE Heads + SERT)
Custom CP pistons
Drum/Actuator + Shift Fork Upgrades
Oil Pump Upgrade
Upgraded Fuel Pump + 5 bar regulator
ARP Head Studs
ARP Case Studs + Fitzgerald crank brace
All critical bolts + gaskets
New front & rear headers with O2 bungs
Twin Scan II + WEGO IIID Sensors
Cometic 4.250 Head Gasket
Beehive Springs + Retainers from Mike Jones
+1 Valves also from Mike Jones
I also had a 1” extension to the oil pan, but I doubt I will be using it for this build as things will get awfully low.
Ok, there is more chrome bling and all that, but the above is all the cool bits! The plan was to take 3 days off work and pull the bike apart – completely strip the frame and engine ready to ship off to the various people. In my time, I also managed to acquire some random tools which made my life so much easier. Tappet Compressor (thanks to my good friends at Hales), Alternator removal bolt (thanks ebay), and a great tip for the Input Shaft retainer from O2Man98 using cable ties!
Here is what I am starting with
Pulled the engine out on day 1 (after the morning of running errands),
And stripped down the frame on Day 2. Ran the frame out to my local powder coater to be made beautiful gloss black
The third day I pulled the engine down, putting all the various pieces nicely stored on my shelf and those pesky bolts and small items clearly marked in my kiddies lunch bags.
After packing them up and a quick chat to Scott from Fitzgerald Motors, off they go for the 4.25 milling, Bearing Pinning and +1 Valve work
Tomorrow – I pick up the frame from the powder coater and get back to work..