1370 Project - My Big Build - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Big Bore/Turbo/SC/NOS area
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
ThreeSpore
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1370 Project - My Big Build

Hi, well after a few years of collecting various parts I finally pulled the trigger and started my major rebuild. Before this I had done some minor stuff – stage II cam’s, 58MM TB, SE Heads, CRF exhaust, lowered, b-riser & drag bars and a bunch of bling on my VRSCA 2003. The bike itself had about 600 miles when I bought it a few years back in a great condition (lot’s of fair weather riders here in Seattle that only ride for a season or two before mothballing their bikes).

Well, after buying the bike the forum bug hit me, and I spent many a late evening absorbing all the goodness this provides. After a while, I formulated the build that was for me – a 1370 BB using a Destroyer Crank – I know not a hugely popular build lately with the community siding more on rewelds, but this really spoke to me.

So off I went for a few years slowly collecting parts. Not only did I want to do the engine, but the entire bike as well – wheels, tins, rear end size, frame/engine colour – pretty much the “big one” for my bike. During that time I collected a great chunk of gear for the bike (minus the engine), here’s a sample

Front End
Metzer tire
Reactor Wheel
Polished Rotors + bolts
Brembo Brakes + Chrome Bling
SE Stainless Brake Lines

Rear End
Metzer 240
Reactor 240 + Puller/Compensator
Chrome Swing Arm
Polished Rotor + Chrome Rear Brake
Offset 26t + 28T pulleys

Frame/Body
Rizoma Mid Controls
Chin Spoiler
Complete Set of custom painted tins (I will talk about that later) + Custom Short Rear guard
Radiator Mesh guards
Chrome Voltage regulator

So, a lot of work just there itself. But that is only half of it right? Then onto the engine – this is where it was fun (expensive! But fun all the same). Here is some of the things I managed to collect over the years in pursuit of this build (I had already installed Stage II Cam’s, SE Heads + SERT)

Destroyer Crank
Custom CP pistons
Carrillo Rods
Destroyer Injectors
Drum/Actuator + Shift Fork Upgrades
Oil Pump Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Upgraded Fuel Pump + 5 bar regulator
4.25 Sleeves
ARP Head Studs
ARP Case Studs + Fitzgerald crank brace
All critical bolts + gaskets
New front & rear headers with O2 bungs
Twin Scan II + WEGO IIID Sensors
Cometic 4.250 Head Gasket
Beehive Springs + Retainers from Mike Jones
+1 Valves also from Mike Jones

I also had a 1” extension to the oil pan, but I doubt I will be using it for this build as things will get awfully low.

Ok, there is more chrome bling and all that, but the above is all the cool bits! The plan was to take 3 days off work and pull the bike apart – completely strip the frame and engine ready to ship off to the various people. In my time, I also managed to acquire some random tools which made my life so much easier. Tappet Compressor (thanks to my good friends at Hales), Alternator removal bolt (thanks ebay), and a great tip for the Input Shaft retainer from O2Man98 using cable ties!

Here is what I am starting with

Pulled the engine out on day 1 (after the morning of running errands),

And stripped down the frame on Day 2. Ran the frame out to my local powder coater to be made beautiful gloss black

The third day I pulled the engine down, putting all the various pieces nicely stored on my shelf and those pesky bolts and small items clearly marked in my kiddies lunch bags.

After packing them up and a quick chat to Scott from Fitzgerald Motors, off they go for the 4.25 milling, Bearing Pinning and +1 Valve work

Tomorrow – I pick up the frame from the powder coater and get back to work..
ThreeSpore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
bwds
brett

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Not enough blue tape for me .lmao.don't sweat its an in joke.lookin good .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony
But the F is SO ugly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Good stuff looking forward to your build
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
stomper
REVOLUTION !!!

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Looking good so far
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks good, I'll tell you a trick with the Rizoma Mid mounts that I had done. Since they are built for the 2007-up models the swingarm exterior dimensions seem thicker then our 180 swingarms and not by alot. You'll end up with a gap on the left side(tranny) Which just so happens to perfectly fit a fork seal between the mount and the frame. Good luck with the build seeing a lot of good stuff there.
Demthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
ThreeSpore
Premium Member

Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demthios View Post
Looks good, I'll tell you a trick with the Rizoma Mid mounts that I had done. Since they are built for the 2007-up models the swingarm exterior dimensions seem thicker then our 180 swingarms and not by alot. You'll end up with a gap on the left side(tranny) Which just so happens to perfectly fit a fork seal between the mount and the frame. Good luck with the build seeing a lot of good stuff there.
Great idea mate - I was planning to get my father-in-law to spin something up on the lathe to fill in the gap, but this sounds like a great option.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Haha nice, yeah no access to a lathe here, and I was putting progressive springs in the front so I had new fork seals and they were just laying there and decide what the hell will it fit! Look forward to seeing how she turns out! Keep the pics coming
Demthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
mattssi
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sweet. Can't wait to see more and more pics.
mattssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
ThreeSpore
Premium Member

1370 Project - My Big Build - Part 2

Well had a few hours after the kids went to bed and wife with her head in email, so decided to unwrap my shiny black frame and get the front end on.

Greased up the bearings and assembled the triple tree (will plan to return to do the fall away test when I have the new drag bars I bought back on - my previous ones were pretty straight, looked great but hell on the wrists! the new ones have a 2" pull back which should keep the drag lines, and allow blood to flow to my hands)

Put the forks on and rolled out my new front reactor. Started bolting up the rotors I had polished, and the AlloyBoltz Chome rotor bolts – first snag – the wave washers don’t fit the rotor bolts too well, but nothing a sharp drill bit didn’t fix. Rotors on – had a small moment paying homage to the king of chrome for making such a beautiful setup – polished rotors on the reactor look just awesome, and before I know it the new front wheel is on my bike

Finished up installing my new chrome Brembo brakes on + SE brake lines and called it a day! Friggen wow - with the black frame and the chrome reactors I just keep stealing back to the garage to peak at it.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
VrodPete
Elephant Motors Rock

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice work so far. Can't wait to see what kind of power you get out of that motor - should be a beast!

HD SE II Cams, 3/8" Falicon Crank, Carillo Rods, CP Pistons, DA Fitz Engine Brace, Destroyer Injectors, Doherty oil pan, DA Fitz Head Port/Polish/+1mm Valves+springs, DA Fitz 58mm TBs, ARP studs, V&H 2nd Gear+Shift Shaft, Motohouligan Airbox, Wegner 2->1 Exhaust with Supertrapp V5

152.77 HP, 101.06 TQ

Other Toys: '01 BMW K1200LT, '76 Honda CB550F, '81 Mooney M20J

VrodPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
ThreeSpore
Premium Member

1370 Project - My Big Build - Part 3

Today I tackled the fuel system. Pulled the fuel components with my nifty tool (thanks again to Ebay), cleaned the inside and outside of the fuel tank and bolted it back into the bike. Bought a Walbo Fuel Pump (#F10000137) from RSC a while back, with a 190 lph rating (not as much as the 255 lph Walbro’s, so a nice compromise for my new BB). Snag number 2 (2 in 2 days, I am on a roll). Well, a little more than a snag – the bendy fuel pump line on the pump would not budge, no matter what I did. After I took the clamp off, I could get it to move a few mm’s but that’s it. While I was pondering my next move, I was staring at the flange, and wouldn’t you know it, the fuel flange intake was hanging out more then it should. Snap – I recalled a service recall on this exact thing, and yep my flange range is 2 days in the recall zone. Now, I don’t have it in me to fight the new flange fight with the local dealership, so took the original method and plan tap it and put a barb adapter in. Parts on order + a new fuel pump line. Does give me time to scrub the fuel sender contacts
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 32 reviews
:

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Where did you got the chrome Brembos, original from Harley?

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
ThreeSpore
Premium Member

Chrome Brembo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post
Where did you got the chrome Brembos, original from Harley?
They were from ebay and look to be re-chromed ones.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
ThreeSpore
Premium Member

1370 Project - My Big Build - Part 4

Today was pretty light but I did manage to weigh all my CP piston assemblies, and shipped the Destroyer Crank, PA weights + Carrillo info card off the Falicon for balancing. Plus I needed to get a new rear fender to create a custom cut fender to fit the 240 since the one I have does not fit. Ebay to the rescue and a steal at $60 – a few dings but in the section I plan to cut away, so perfect!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement