Would You Buy Another Harley (other than a V-Rod)? - Page 9 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #121
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Interesting DST. The only problems I had with mine are the normal, well known problems with steering head adjustment, cured finally with a steel steering stem, and dodgy fuel level senders, also finally cured with their latest sender. Aside from that I have had two occasions where wired rubbed and shorted, and a couple of fork problems that aren't Harley's fault, even though they warrantied them. Our streets are so poorly paved I have damaged shocks and forks on both my daily rider R and my tried and true BMW K bike. The damping rod screws came loose from the Beemer's lower legs (good thing I don't do wheelies!) and the lower leg casting started to work loose and leak on the R. HD covered a subsequent blown fork seal. Good service if you ask me. Have blown the shocks on both bikes too, the streets are nothing more than asphalt moto cross.

My trusty old 1984 BMW had problems with exhaust shields rattling off, instruments that were intermittant at best, and a noisy fuel return line check valve. They also had a run of bad fuel filters that would fracture, resulting in low fuel pressure and lousy performance (the visual clue was the jacuzzi in the gas tank!). Over time BMW sorted through these problems and found ways to cure them. Many riders wrote those early K bikes off much as you have written off your V-Rod. I kept mine and do not regret it for a second. It rolled 290,000 miles two weeks ago. It has never once stranded me on the road, and it has taken me across 18 states and 11 foreign countries. I expect similar service from the R. The actual hard parts, the engine and chassis of both bikes are seriously over built, and the German metallurgy in both bikes means they won't wear out quickly at all.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #122
BT
BiaTches

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DST View Post
Here's a quick, dirty and incomplete list. While a few of these are specific to the older v-rods (like the tiny tanks and ignition placement) they were issues for YEARS before they were addressed.

- Quality issue with electronics - I went through 3 different instrument consoles installed by 3 different dealers the first year I had the bike.

- Quality issue with factory trained mechanics. I had my bike blow oil all over me on a ride immediately following servicing. Also had the coolant tank explode. (different days) Never did figure out the cause of that one.

- I hate the way the floating brake sounds - even knowing there's no problem there I still always get the feeling something is about to fall off when I hear it.

- Foot pegs spark like mother****ers in the twisties. I'm on my 3rd set now and I just dont think pegs should be a consumable item.

- Stock passenger pillion is less than worthless.

- 3.5 gallon tank. If you ride with anything besides other v-rods, you quickly become known as the annoying guy that has to stop for gas every 100 miles.

-Ignition placement in relation to the pipes is absurd. Especially considering how the key has a tendency to fall out when you open the seat to fill up. I know I'm not the only guy who's been cooked by their hot pipes trying to fish the key out or the only guy who has a partially melted FOB as proof of the ordeal.

-No storage area for registration, insurance etc.

-Difficulty of (or even gaining access to the leads on) a battery.

- Worst value of any bike I can think of. If I ever sell, I'd be lucky to get back even 30% of what the bike originally cost STOCK, in spite of an extra 10k or so worth of upgrades.

- Compared to just about any other bike in or around it's class, on the real world performance is abysmal; at the end of the day it's not about how big your engine is or how loud your pipes are. I honestly cannot think of another bike outside of choppers that handles worse than a v-rod on a windy road. It's fine on on freeways and straightaways, but who wants to take a long ride down one of those?

-HD prices

-HD dealers (I think we all can agree on this one)

At the end of the day, about the only thing I've not had issues with is the engine. I'm guessing I've got Porsche to thank for that.
Apart from that the bikes all good ?
BT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #123
DST
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post
Apart from that the bikes all good ?
Naw, thats just what I could come up with in the first 2 minutes of thinking about how to answer the question Wish it were different because I think the VRSCDX is the best looking bike I've ever seen on the road. You know what they say tho... fool me twice and all that jazz...
DST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #124
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
well like it or not you cannot disagree with 95% of his post.
Ya but I have to disagree with performance regarding it's class however. Abysmal? Ranting about pegs scraping and registration storage is c****y also.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #125
DST
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Ya but I have to disagree with performance regarding it's class however. Abysmal? Ranting about pegs scraping and registration storage is c****y also.
The peg issue is IMO the #1 reason why just about any other bike can take me in the twists. Watching a fatass bagger get down lower than I can is humiliating. That this bike can only get over so far before the peg scraping will affect traction is a fact. I've seen others on this forum say it's no danger and I know that in theory the peg safely folds in this scenario. In practice, not always, and feeling yourself start to slide when it happens is ****ing terrifying. I wouldn't call that nitpicking.

I'll give you the storage space complaint as nitpicky. But I'm keeping it on my list since I've gotten a fix-it ticket from forgetting to put my registration and insurance papers in my jacket.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #126
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DST View Post
The peg issue is IMO the #1 reason why just about any other bike can take me in the twists. Watching a fatass bagger get down lower than I can is humiliating. That this bike can only get over so far before the peg scraping will affect traction is a fact. I've seen others on this forum say it's no danger and I know that in theory the peg safely folds in this scenario. In practice, not always, and feeling yourself start to slide when it happens is ****ing terrifying. I wouldn't call that nitpicking.

I'll give you the storage space complaint as nitpicky. But I'm keeping it on my list since I've gotten a fix-it ticket from forgetting to put my registration and insurance papers in my jacket.
The R is 40 degrees and the rest of the line-up are 32 or so, Dead nuts average lean for a true "cruiser". IMO you simply bought the wrong bike for your needs. I keep my papers under the seat, lottso room.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #127
DST
Registered Full

Quote:
IMO you simply bought the wrong bike for your needs.
Agreed
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #128
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Everything with a Revolution Engine is a V-Rod. The R is included in both the V-Rod Service Manual and the V-Rod Parts Manual. I know that offends your tender sensibilities.
IT offends the stupidity that is HD.
This is a Multistrada.

This is a Diavel.

Both share the same Motor But Ducati doesn't call one a Street Diavel etc... because they are 2 different bikes. If being in teh Vrod family is so important to you I guess you can remain doing so if it scares you and yur sensibilities.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #129
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
IT offends the stupidity that is HD.
This is a Multistrada.

This is a Diavel.

Both share the same Motor But Ducati doesn't call one a Street Diavel etc... because they are 2 different bikes. If being in teh Vrod family is so important to you I guess you can remain doing so if it scares you and yur sensibilities.
Whats in a name anyway? It's just marketing. Why buy into it? It's a curious obsession with you, these "names" given the V. Is it becuase your "A" has no nickname, that it's just an A perhaps? Or are you upset that they are all inclusive as a group which severely limits your exclusiveness. We all know how you like consider yourself an outsider, a cut above, a non conformist with refined taste. It's apparent that being included with the lowly Sreetrod and retched muscle really chaps your designer azz.
We all ride a V-Rod, period. I don't know that I've ever said I'm taking the "Night Rod Special" out for a ride, never said I'm gonna fire up the AW or Road King or whatever it may be at the time. I'm just taking the "bike" out. You?
Speaking of curious names............"scrambler"?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #130
BT
BiaTches

Oh wait ...Im going to get the pretzels.................
BT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #131
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post
Oh wait ...Im going to get the pretzels.................
gave up on the popcorn ay Tony?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #132
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where's Rodney King when you need him???
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #133
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Whats in a name anyway? It's just marketing. Why buy into it? It's a curious obsession with you, these "names" given the V. Is it becuase your "A" has no nickname, that it's just an A perhaps? Or are you upset that they are all inclusive as a group which severely limits your exclusiveness. We all know how you like consider yourself an outsider, a cut above, a non conformist with refined taste. It's apparent that being included with the lowly Sreetrod and retched muscle really chaps your designer azz.
We all ride a V-Rod, period. I don't know that I've ever said I'm taking the "Night Rod Special" out for a ride, never said I'm gonna fire up the AW or Road King or whatever it may be at the time. I'm just taking the "bike" out. You?
Speaking of curious names............"scrambler"?
MY bike unfortunately has the name Vrod. The model and "A". HD actually Differentiates the models slightly but apparently not enough. Scrambler is another fine example, The Bonneville is almost the exact same bike, except for Height and Seating position (sound familiar) guess what Triumph does? It calls them 2 separate names. Just like HD does.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #134
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
MY bike unfortunately has the name Vrod.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #135
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Scrambler is another fine example, The Bonneville is almost the exact same bike, except for Height and Seating position (sound familiar) guess what Triumph does? It calls them 2 separate names. Just like HD does.
Triumph is a fine business model to emulate. How many times have they been down & out and back in?
More than Micheal Corleone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement