possible oil leak... - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Icenine99
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua022 View Post
Did it idle a little rougher than normal?
No, it's been running fine. I didn't notice a rough idle. The minor oil leak up top started around 500-miles ago but I didn't bother with it because I knew my 5k service was coming soon. Since it's under warranty I let them fix it. I'm not sure what the throttle body gasket had to do with the leak but they replaced it.

Keep an eye on your oil level. Mine burned about 1.5 quarts of SYN 3 between 1K and 4k miles. I checked it every 500-miles and topped it off when necessary. However, since I passed 4k I haven't had to add any! I listened to the dealer and broke it in easy. I should have broken it in hard and "rode it like I stole it" as they say.
Icenine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
VRSCR-Dave
Registered Full

I have repaired 3 bikes with this same problem, one being mine and all I did is replaced both breather tubes. Problem solved and no more oil anywhere.
VRSCR-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSCR-Dave View Post
I have repaired 3 bikes with this same problem, one being mine and all I did is replaced both breather tubes. Problem solved and no more oil anywhere.
When you say "both" breather tubes, isn't the front tube brass with an O-ring? Was the rear tube torn or damaged that made you replace it?
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
VRSCR-Dave
Registered Full

The rear one gets dry rot and starts seeping oil. And yes your correct you just need to replace the rear hose. I did replace the oring for the front one but they didn't realy need it.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's what I thought. If you soak the rear hose with silicone spray ($2 a can at Walmart) every year it will last forever.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
VRSCR-Dave
Registered Full

I'll have to try that thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Icenine99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine99 View Post
I had an minor oil leak that was pooling in a pocket on the right side by the water pump / stator area. I had the stealer fix it Saturday 10-27-12 when I brought the bike in for the 5k service. They replaced both the breather O-ring PN 11391K ($.95) and the throttle body gasket PN 29439-01 ($2.50). It's only been a day since they fixed it but no more leaking and I rode 150-cold Chicago miles. You may have the same issue.
It's December 6th and mine is leaking oil again in the same area. I only have 700-miles since the last fix. I guess it's back to the stealer and their ace mechanics. You would think after ten years H-D would solve some of these recurring problems on the v-rod. For $15K you expect a bike that doesn't burn and leak oil. I owned Jap bikes in the past and don't remember having constant oil leaks. My next new bike will not be a Harley.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
Dr Dave
Buy American!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine99 View Post
It's December 6th and mine is leaking oil again in the same area. I only have 700-miles since the last fix. I guess it's back to the stealer and their ace mechanics. You would think after ten years H-D would solve some of these recurring problems on the v-rod. For $15K you expect a bike that doesn't burn and leak oil. I owned Jap bikes in the past and don't remember having constant oil leaks. My next new bike will not be a Harley.
"If it has wheels or a skirt, you're gonna have problems!"

Ride it like your life depended on it.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #24
Luvmy04VRod
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
What oil are you running in it? These bikes/motors do not like the synthetic oil from stealership. Mine did same thing minus rough idle. Replaced tb gasket and new breather hose. Stealer ship tore tb gasket by reusing my old one. BATERDS!
Oh and for the record the stator is on the LEFT SIDE NOT the right.
Good luck.
PROUD Member Post #149 Las Vegas, NV.

Lord forgive me for what I am about to do but these b@sterds must die!
I will NEVER apologize nor waste my time defending my God-given right to keep and bear arms; The more and bigger the arms, the better
!!
Luvmy04VRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Icenine99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy04VRod View Post
What oil are you running in it? These bikes/motors do not like the synthetic oil from stealership. Mine did same thing minus rough idle. Replaced tb gasket and new breather hose. Stealer ship tore tb gasket by reusing my old one. BATERDS!
Oh and for the record the stator is on the LEFT SIDE NOT the right.
Good luck.
I had the stealer do the 1k and 5k service so I'm running SYN3. I think it works better inside the engine than outside. You're correct, the alternator is on the left side which also has oil leaked on it. The REVO engine has been around for ten years. We shouldn't even be discussing oil leaks. I guess the Porsche engineers don't care about oil leaks either. I love my F but the oil leaks and gas gauge problems really piss me off.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
Luvmy04VRod
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I am sure you may not believe or want to hear this but I would change to a different brand of oil. Read alot of posts on here w/ppl having major issues with syn 3 oil. Just my
. 02
Good luck. Joe
PROUD Member Post #149 Las Vegas, NV.

Lord forgive me for what I am about to do but these b@sterds must die!
I will NEVER apologize nor waste my time defending my God-given right to keep and bear arms; The more and bigger the arms, the better
!!
Luvmy04VRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement