A New Bike Dealer for Lux to Visit - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #31
MagicGLI
Rollin' Low

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
and all these Buell fans sit and talk about Ducati's and their reliability all the time
I had 2003 XB9S for 4 years. The only thing happened was leaky oil pressure switch. But it was HD motor so I wasn't surprised... Other than that - flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

09 VRSCF Vivid Black
V&H Competition Series Slip-ons
HD Stealth Grips, Pegs, Brake/Gear Levers
MagicGLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicGLI View Post
I had 2003 XB9S for 4 years. The only thing happened was leaky oil pressure switch. But it was HD motor so I wasn't surprised... Other than that - flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
And these Buells usually get the piss beat out of them.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #33
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
And these Buells usually get the piss beat out of them.
Yes. Sport bikes are supposed to be ridden hard. That doesn't make up for the rear rocker gaskets pissing oil all over the place. Replaced two on each. The, had issues with the fuel injector solenoids, oil line cracked....all heat related BS from a stupid design. Just chincy cheap parts that didn't last. I had two different XB models....same issues. I would never buy a Buell with that Rotax POS. Regulators frying among other issues. Don't you worry though! Erik Buell Racing sells a FAR MORE EXPENSIVE unit that actually works. Should be a damn warranty fix!

I still say they are GREAT when they are on the road running. Hard to find a better handling two wheeled vehicle, but the two XB's that I had, the quality sucked.
DungeonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
They went bust before they has the motor sorted. Hence my comment earlier - if Harley hadn't pulled the plug the Rotax bikes would be great by now. As it is the motor is both old (2007 design in a sports bike) and scary new (they broke five years ago, and no significant development has been done since).
They obviously didn't do enough testing or the right kind of testing. The failure rate on that motor is obscene. The way Harley and the independent EBR Racing handles what should be warranty fixes is criminal. Personally, I could care less what EBR does, let alone how good they do. If they make a good bike, they will survive. If not, EBR won't have Harley to blame for his lack of success this time.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #35
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Quote:
Well, they take a step up every year, and that's stood still for four years... It was state of the art at launch, now it is fairly normal.
Rotax didn't do anything more than what had been done on the VR motor in the V-Rod's....which is still the same aside quality fixes, black parts, and 120cc more displacement. The Rotax in the Buell's are pretty much what Walmart would put in their motorcycles if they made and sold them.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #36
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Quote:
and all these Buell fans sit and talk about Ducati's and their reliability all the time

I like Ducati's. Nothing wrong with them. Best looking as far as sportsbikes go, aside that FUGLY Diavel. Hmmmm....I wonder how a Ducati cruiser would look, since they still do not make one.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #37
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonWorks View Post
Rotax didn't do anything more than what had been done on the VR motor in the V-Rod's....which is still the same aside quality fixes, black parts, and 120cc more displacement. The Rotax in the Buell's are pretty much what Walmart would put in their motorcycles if they made and sold them.
Not sure we are talking the same thing... Mag heads, finger followers, 72 degree angle...

The 1125 is a generation ahead of the V-Rod engine, which is a very conventional 90s Cosworth until at the power-making bits.

It was an interesting motor. I'm sorry to hear it had reliability issues, but I'm sure they would long ago have been sorted out if the plug had not been pulled.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #38
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Not sure we are talking the same thing... Mag heads, finger followers, 72 degree angle...

The 1125 is a generation ahead of the V-Rod engine, which is a very conventional 90s Cosworth until at the power-making bits.

It was an interesting motor. I'm sorry to hear it had reliability issues, but I'm sure they would long ago have been sorted out if the plug had not been pulled.
:banghead

LOL! Cosworth again, love it, been a while..................................well at least it's not another "Porsche" azzsucking.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #39
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
:banghead

LOL! Cosworth again, love it, been a while..................................well at least it's not another "Porsche" azzsucking.
What? Top end is a Cossie, bottom end originally by Harley and developed by Rousch, whole thing productionised by Porsche. Usual way these sort of things come about, what's debatable? Basically the same top end as my last generation T955i (also a Cossie top end).

The Rotax is a bit different, leaving the stock Cossie layout behind and going for finger followers. It's a lot lighter than the V-Rod engine and revs to 10,500 RPM. A generation ahead in fact: that extra 1,500RPM can produce a lot of extra power, and it avoids the complication of Ducatis Desmo valve gear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #40
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
What? Top end is a Cossie, bottom end originally by Harley and developed by Rousch, whole thing productionised by Porsche. Usual way these sort of things come about, what's debatable? Basically the same top end as my last generation T955i (also a Cossie top end).

The Rotax is a bit different, leaving the stock Cossie layout behind and going for finger followers. It's a lot lighter than the V-Rod engine and revs to 10,500 RPM. A generation ahead in fact: that extra 1,500RPM can produce a lot of extra power, and it avoids the complication of Ducatis Desmo valve gear.
................Carry on.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #41
Cowpieapex
Registered Geezer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Buell is still the worst bike I ever rode, Never again. I never wanted to be off a bike before in my life as badly as I did that day. Congrats to him and his Co hope he is Huge, but not for me.
I'm not surprised you were disturbed by Your Buell experience if that Firebolt rear brake was anything like my Thunderbolt. You can't depend on that device for anything beyond settling the suspension in preparation for breaking with the superb front unit.

I wonder if you have ever actually ridden any of your beloved Ducatis though.
My Buell more closely reminds me of my old GT 750 than any other bike I've ever ridden. It's brutally focused dedication to pure function even found me dabbing at the brake pedal looking for an upshift ten years after the last time I'd ridden the old Italian with its reversed position and pattern. I rode that '73 Ducati 50,000 miles and my '97 Buell has logged 65,000. Neither was trouble free but every mile was an intense taste of what motorcycling can be.
Time spent upgrading failed components only makes the experience of wringing out a high performance machine complete.

When you consider that the new EBR machine is based very closely on the 1125 models that are being dumped for chump change you could be well on your way to creating a very special one-off 1190 for a fraction of the price of a new EBR.

Last edited by Cowpieapex; 12-12-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: and another thing!
Cowpieapex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #42
Cowpieapex
Registered Geezer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
[QUOTE=Vambo;2370631]................Carry on.

Indeed; it is refreshing to hear opinions based on knowledge and information as opposed to folks who talk out their arse about fashion and fad.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #43
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpieapex View Post
I'm not surprised you were disturbed by Your Buell experience if that Firebolt rear brake was anything like my Thunderbolt. You can't depend on that device for anything beyond settling the suspension in preparation for breaking with the superb front unit.

My Buell more closely reminds me of my old GT 750 than any other bike I've ever ridden. It's brutally focused dedication to pure function even found me dabbing at the brake pedal looking for an upshift ten years after the last time I'd ridden the old Italian with its reversed position and pattern. I rode that '73 Ducati 50,000 miles and my '97 Buell has logged 65,000. Neither was trouble free but every mile was an intense taste of what motorcycling can be.
Time spent upgrading failed components only makes the experience of wringing out a high performance machine complete.

When you consider that the new EBR machine is based very closely on the 1125 models that are being dumped for chump change you could be well on your way to creating a very special one-off 1190 for a fraction of the price of a new EBR.

I have, not a fan of the Hypermotard, seating position couldn't get used to, the Monsters I loved, especially the new ones but I am too old to sit that way for too long, the streetfighter is amazing, the Multistrada I was also not at all comfortable on. The brakes work way to well.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #44
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonWorks View Post
I dont even know where to start here.

Its the holidays, I'm out of this.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #45
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpieapex View Post

You can find them for 6-7, while the motor work to get you to the 1190 is going to cost 5-8 grand easy, considering EBR machines their own parts. Getting the race suspension parts, brakes will be another 3-4. You might as well buy a Panigale or a used EBR race bike.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement