A New Bike Dealer for Lux to Visit - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwarrior View Post
Its a hard road, he is a good engineer, but will have to be able to provide parts and service in a timely fashion. Wonder how many dealers that carry other brands will pick up the Buell's? Harley could have kept a great engineer and perhaps improved some of their handling, fuel guage and other really annoying problems that after all these years they should have been able to work out.
Think so?
Erik was in the HD fold for a very long time, well before Buell. He is credited with the FXR and it's "jap" frame. I would guess his frustration led him out on his own.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #17
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Good. Having thrown away the hopeless Harley engines and got Rotax on the case, he was nearly there - just stupid styling (now fixed) and under-developed engine management holding him back. Then Harley dropped him...

I hope the engine isn't too old now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://www.thegentlemansnapper.co.uk

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Good. Having thrown away the hopeless Harley engines and got Rotax on the case, he was nearly there - just stupid styling (now fixed) and under-developed engine management holding him back. Then Harley dropped him...

I hope the engine isn't too old now.
OLD? Aren't they all now? When was the last real development?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
OLD? Aren't they all now? When was the last real development?
Well, they take a step up every year, and that's stood still for four years... It was state of the art at launch, now it is fairly normal.

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
pwrman
Registered Idiot

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
Buell is still the worst bike I ever rode, Never again. I never wanted to be off a bike before in my life as badly as I did that day.
That's funny, the Buell I test rode said much the same about me and THREW me off. Then it had the audacity to slide into the ditch next to me and idle complacently as if nothing had happened. "Oh, I'm sorry, did you just break a rib or something, my bad" (or I might have been hallucinating since I just crashed and broke 7 ribs among other things)

I actually liked the bike but it is a bit to small and light for me
pwrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #21
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Outstanding. I had heard "rumors" about this being on the table. I'm glad he can continue. I'm sure sales will mirror the Buells. I am always shocked by the lack of support here though, with all the blowharding about canyons and twisties and wide open roads, one would think the Buell would sell better. Lack of "status" maybe? It's absolutely perfect for that style. Other than a really high end sports bikes like MV, Aprilla Erik's handles better than most all. Phenomenal cornering and control. They sit just about like all the rest so I don't understand the comfort thing either.
The Street Rod had just been cancelled when the 1125 was introduced. I figured, ok, buy the Street Rod while you have the chance,the 1125 will be around for a while. Whoda thunk?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #22
DungeonWorks
20 Eyes in my Head

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've had a 2003 Buell XB9r and a 2007 XB12S. GREATEST handling bike ever that couldn't stay running off of the lift for a repair for more than 1,000 miles! Buell's ROCK for the handling but really SUCKED for quality....as does that Arnold Schwarzenaeger Austrian built Rotax hunk of crap motor. Go look on the Buell forums and see the massive amounts of expensive problems they have with them....and I won't even tell you the trouble they have getting warranty work done at the Harely dealerships. LOL V-Rodder's have it a lot easier at the stealers!
DungeonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #23
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrman View Post
That's funny, the Buell I test rode said much the same about me and THREW me off. Then it had the audacity to slide into the ditch next to me and idle complacently as if nothing had happened. "Oh, I'm sorry, did you just break a rib or something, my bad" (or I might have been hallucinating since I just crashed and broke 7 ribs among other things)

I actually liked the bike but it is a bit to small and light for me
You aren't the guy who tossed the Uly behind me during a demo ride at Willow Springs were you? Heh, heh, heh.

We were entering a nice little left hander when the Buell employee in front of me used too much brake on an XB-9, stood the bike up and went cactus surfing right in front of me, with the rider landing in a desert pucker bush. I made it around the corner, stopped and was getting off my bike as the dude on the Uly behind me slid in right behind the first guy. Two Buells down practically in the same pucker bush.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #24
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonWorks View Post
I've had a 2003 Buell XB9r and a 2007 XB12S. GREATEST handling bike ever that couldn't stay running off of the lift for a repair for more than 1,000 miles! Buell's ROCK for the handling but really SUCKED for quality....as does that Arnold Schwarzenaeger Austrian built Rotax hunk of crap motor. Go look on the Buell forums and see the massive amounts of expensive problems they have with them....and I won't even tell you the trouble they have getting warranty work done at the Harely dealerships. LOL V-Rodder's have it a lot easier at the stealers!
and all these Buell fans sit and talk about Ducati's and their reliability all the time
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #25
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Well, they take a step up every year, and that's stood still for four years... It was state of the art at launch, now it is fairly normal.
I was referring to the whole damn industry.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #26
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
and all these Buell fans sit and talk about Ducati's and their reliability all the time
It goes around..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaaaaaa7-wizards-wizard-girls-cheerleaders-javai.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	192289  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #27
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonWorks View Post
They went bust before they has the motor sorted. Hence my comment earlier - if Harley hadn't pulled the plug the Rotax bikes would be great by now. As it is the motor is both old (2007 design in a sports bike) and scary new (they broke five years ago, and no significant development has been done since).

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
boscoe
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very pleased with the news.
Hope it works out better than before.
boscoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
Ernie82
boredom kills

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
The Street Rod had just been cancelled when the 1125 was introduced. I figured, ok, buy the Street Rod while you have the chance,the 1125 will be around for a while. Whoda thunk?
Too BAD the Street Rod didn't make it to the 2008 model year, a 1250cc ABS model would have been of interest to me.

03 with lots of chrome
07 GT500 Convertible
disposable late model commuter cars
CBR954RR - sold
I edit typos not content
Ernie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Quote:
Outstanding. I had heard "rumors" about this being on the table. I'm glad he can continue. I'm sure sales will mirror the Buells. I am always shocked by the lack of support here though, with all the blowharding about canyons and twisties and wide open roads, one would think the Buell would sell better. Lack of "status" maybe? It's absolutely perfect for that style. Other than a really high end sports bikes like MV, Aprilla Erik's handles better than most all. Phenomenal cornering and control. They sit just about like all the rest so I don't understand the comfort thing either.
They started with Harley motors, but trying to build a sports bike round a Harley motor is like trying to build a cruiser around an R1 motor. The results were plain weird. The Rotax engine should have solved that problem, but they launched it before it was ready - the engine management was diabolical and the engines were fragile (or so it is said, I never rode one). Both of those could have been sorted, but Harley pulled the plug.

Now they have a different problem - no money to get the production runs up, and hence stupid prices for what is no longer that new a bike.

Let's hope they sort it - I wish them well.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement