Ride From California to New York on VRSCR - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
ninja01
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Or, you can do what I did. Sell the R (sigh) and buy and F. And start modding again from scratch. NOT the most cost effective solution.

R.
Why would he want to downgrade to an "F"?
ninja01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Ear2Ear
FFFWD

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja01 View Post
Ha ha. I told you we don't get any respect around here!
2012 VRSCF: Bassani B1 slip-ons, K&N, topless, T-Max dynoed by TRASK, Progressive 440's, ISO grips & pegs, H-D Muscle saddlebags w/welded nuts mod (when traveling), BICEP radiator armor/fork badges/axle caps, RRC visor over HIDs w/RJ mod, Dutch Custom LED, reduced-reach handlebars, quick-release +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling), Bitchin Seat - PICS
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
cycorod
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodder06 View Post
Correct, the R already has the 5 gallon tank. It was the first model fitted with the 5 gallon tank, and the other models followed suit in 07..
Cool, I didn't know that, now I do...then all you need is a tube of DESITIN for your buttocks & Taint & your good to go.
cycorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
CPTJAM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I crossed the country twice this year on my R. MWT 7 and KC homecoming. I put on a road glide fairing, muscle bags, Corbin saddle. I did have a daylong made. Will try it out. See my gallery. You can do 500 mile days easily....I did. Get the bars, seat, pegs right for you. I use A model bars. I put a 1 inch spacer on to raise them a touch more. I put tools and gloves and riding stuff in the bags, and clothes in a Ortleib dry bag on the luggage rack, which goes in the hotel each night. Yes, you can do it! Joe
TRAVELER: 2006 Roadrod VRSCR, Custom painted Ultrawhite, TTS Supercharger version2.0, TMAX, K&N, Supertrapp V5 exhaust, Pondo Caps, HC Stage II V LED tailight, "A" model bars, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Sumax bags, chrome peg mounts, '08 "D" wheels, polished, rear pulley by Pondo. Slipper clutch. More to come! Old Dyno results: 155 HP 86#TQ
COMET: 2009 AW, painted ultrawhite, a work in progress....105.18 HP, 73.98 torque;
CPTJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja01 View Post
Gee. I don't know-- how about having to have a cervical fusion to my C6/7 vertebrae because my left triceps muscle decided to stop working? And that after the fusion, I found that the forward leaning position of the R made riding an exercise in agony? At least with the more upright sitting position of the F (with Budman's pullback riser) I can still ride.

Good enough answer for you?

R.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
thedoctor77
NSFW

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wheyfast,

You can do it! I rode from Ohio to Oklahoma to Kansas City for the Homecoming and back with no issues in September. 2903 total miles.

I have the HD sport windshield, the Sundowner seat, hiway pegs on the engine guards, the HD VRSCR saddlebags.

But, the best accessory that I've found for the long haul is a large tank bag. You can basically lean forward and lounge on that thing all day. Mid position, hiway pegs, tank bag. Plenty of options keep you compfortable.

Good luck and have a great ride!

Doc

I can fix this for you, but you'll pay a terrible price.

If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

The customer is always right and we shall make them pay dearly for their arrogance.

2006 VRSCR Street Rod
VMS Racing Bar End Mirrors (MBEM0930BK)
thedoctor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #22
wasaircooled
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't find the R uncomfortable and I've lowered my bars. Then I've never done more than 300 miles in a day.

I would personally rent a road king for the trip. I wouldn't off my R for one but the road king is an awesome touring bike. You could probably do the trip in one go if you could figure out mid-air refuelling. And the bathroom thing.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
Ear2Ear
FFFWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor77 View Post
Wheyfast,

You can do it! I rode from Ohio to Oklahoma to Kansas City for the Homecoming and back with no issues in September. 2903 total miles.

I have the HD sport windshield, the Sundowner seat, hiway pegs on the engine guards, the HD VRSCR saddlebags.

But, the best accessory that I've found for the long haul is a large tank bag. You can basically lean forward and lounge on that thing all day. Mid position, hiway pegs, tank bag. Plenty of options keep you compfortable.

Good luck and have a great ride!

Doc

My tank bag immediately became my favorite accessory on my PCH trip. It's AMAZING how much stuff can fit in my tank bag. And just when you think it can't hold anymore, unzip the expansion zipper around the base and keep on adding stuff. It's incredibly convenient and makes it easy to get to things. And like thedoctor77 said, you can actually rest on it a bit. Mine was actually quite sturdy.

There are many out there, but I would definitely recommend the one I bought, a Nelson Rigg CL-1030 with the 4-point strap mounting system. I secured the loop of the longer strap with the pin that holds the back of the airbox cover down and the other strap just wraps around the steering head under the instrument cluster. Clip in and out. I logged 3600 miles with it and it didn't hurt the finish on my air box cover at all. It also comes with a rain cover. There's a review of a nearly identical bag here.

You can see that the piping on the sides is high-vis reflective, as the pic below was taken with a flash-fill. I know had a TON of other crap on my bike for that trip, but that tank bag really was my savior.

2012 VRSCF: Bassani B1 slip-ons, K&N, topless, T-Max dynoed by TRASK, Progressive 440's, ISO grips & pegs, H-D Muscle saddlebags w/welded nuts mod (when traveling), BICEP radiator armor/fork badges/axle caps, RRC visor over HIDs w/RJ mod, Dutch Custom LED, reduced-reach handlebars, quick-release +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling), Bitchin Seat - PICS
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
rawdog
Registered Full

You can do this trip no problem with a few mods of the bike. Two years ago I rode across the US from Atlanta to Seattle and the bike performed great. Here are a few suggestions:

1. you absolutely must have a windshield. I rode without one and I paid a hard and heavy price. I bought one after that and cranked out 680 miles from Atlanta to Miami on Thanksgiving day with very little issues.
2. The stock seat is a big problem. I had Mean City put in gel but by the time I made it from Atlanta to Kansas City it felt like someone was hammering nails into my ass. If you mod the seat you may want go with just better foam.
3. I bought an air hawk 2 which is inflatable and provides great cushioning if you stick with the stock seat. I think the ultimate combo would be the sundowner with the air hawk and you would be fine.
4. Take a look at cortech bags. They have a 3 bad system in their cortech 2.0 line that give plenty of storage. I used that on my bike for the trip from Atlanta to Miami and I had plenty of room. I would recommend packing lightly. If you overload the bike you lose performance from all the weight and that defeats the purpose of taking that bike.
5. Crash bars with highway pegs would be nice so you can stretch out.

Overall, the bike should do great. With a more comfortable seat, windshield and bags it makes a great sport touring bike. It blows my mind that Harley has never used this engine and chasis to compete in the sport touring market.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
tschrnr
Colorado MC Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
You can do this trip no problem with a few mods of the bike. Two years ago I rode across the US from Atlanta to Seattle and the bike performed great. Here are a few suggestions:

1. you absolutely must have a windshield. I rode without one and I paid a hard and heavy price. I bought one after that and cranked out 680 miles from Atlanta to Miami on Thanksgiving day with very little issues.
2. The stock seat is a big problem. I had Mean City put in gel but by the time I made it from Atlanta to Kansas City it felt like someone was hammering nails into my ass. If you mod the seat you may want go with just better foam.
3. I bought an air hawk 2 which is inflatable and provides great cushioning if you stick with the stock seat. I think the ultimate combo would be the sundowner with the air hawk and you would be fine.
4. Take a look at cortech bags. They have a 3 bad system in their cortech 2.0 line that give plenty of storage. I used that on my bike for the trip from Atlanta to Miami and I had plenty of room. I would recommend packing lightly. If you overload the bike you lose performance from all the weight and that defeats the purpose of taking that bike.
5. Crash bars with highway pegs would be nice so you can stretch out.

Overall, the bike should do great. With a more comfortable seat, windshield and bags it makes a great sport touring bike. It blows my mind that Harley has never used this engine and chasis to compete in the sport touring market.
Actually the 'R' makes a great sport touring bike. I've done 1100-1200 mile trips over 2-3 days. I have a Memphis Shades windshield, but you could make do with a flyscreen of some kind. Frankly, the R isn't bad without a windshield and I prefer to ride 'naked' during warm weather. Either way, the R is much better than the DX I once owned. I was never able to resolve my buffeting issues with it.

The Cortech bags are actually pretty good as long as they aren't overstuffed. If you have a luggage rack, you could mount a Givi or similar (hard) top case. Available in various sizes, most come with a universal base plate. Lockable and waterproof, easy on/off the bike.

The stock seat will cause you much discomfort. I have a Corbin seat on the R and the DX had a Sundoiwner. I'd trade the Corbin for a Sundowner in a heartbeat. A Day-Long will also serve you well.

You might find the Airhawk worthy as it's the most adjustable and least expensive solution. It also allows for critical airflow under your privates.

Good luck ! Tim
tschrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #26
wheyfast

Thanks to everyone for your advise. I have traded the R for a road king. I will miss the R and qould love to have another one down the road. The street rod i believe is the best Harley ever made.

Thanks again.

P.S. if anyone is looking for a really nice R with 4400 miles. They will have one at Oakland Harley very soon. It has been a very loved bike for 4 years
wheyfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
thedoctor77
NSFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyfast View Post
I have traded the R for a road king.
D'oh!

Have some fun with that new bike!

Doc

I can fix this for you, but you'll pay a terrible price.

If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

The customer is always right and we shall make them pay dearly for their arrogance.

2006 VRSCR Street Rod
VMS Racing Bar End Mirrors (MBEM0930BK)
thedoctor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #28
wasaircooled
Registered Full

I feel guilty now for saying how good the RK is. It is though - I was shocked how comfy and sprightly they are. I suppose it's horses for courses.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
thegreyman
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyfast View Post
Thanks to everyone for your advise. I have traded the R for a road king. I will miss the R and qould love to have another one down the road. The street rod i believe is the best Harley ever made.

Thanks again.

P.S. if anyone is looking for a really nice R with 4400 miles. They will have one at Oakland Harley very soon. It has been a very loved bike for 4 years

Road King??? Why would anyone want that? For the long haul why not a victory cross country. Costs as much as RK, lighter, faster, more comfortable. No offense, just my 2cents

2006 Street Rod
2009 Guzzi Griso
2011 Yamaha Stryker (sold)
thegreyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #30
tripleted
Registered Full

Road King? You can never post to this forum again. Have lots of limited fun with your new bike and spend lots of money on it trying to make as much HP as any Vrod. Hope you don't break anything when you get over 110 HP.
Imported orange/black US VRSCR model. Drilled airbox, Amsoil air filter, V&H 2:1, Direct Link with Dyno tune@113 RWHP & 80 ft.pounds of torque, chrome engine gaurds with kuryakyn highway pegs, chrome passanger footpeg mounts, "B" model handlebars and clutch line, Supersport windshield, chrome headlight visor, swingarm covers, chrome upper and lower belt gaurds, rear rack and sissy bar, 1" rear shock lowering kit.
tripleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement