Suspension - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
primo56
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
air

so is there any opinions on air shocks? thought I might get them 4 the girlfriend, also looking 4 a small neat sissy pad 4 a 2012 NRS any suggestions ?
primo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Undahdaskin
Lifetime Premium

I've just ordered some Arnotts air ride, once I fit them I'll let you know what I think..

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Undahdaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
Undahdaskin
Lifetime Premium

Fitted the Arnotts, a huge improvement, soft ride yet still firm enough to have fun, I can now feel the front end needs a suspension upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Undahdaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #19
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post

I have the Progressive Drop In kit in front.....dropped it about 2 in !!!

No front end slop now !!!!
Damn, less lean yet?

I installed the progressive springs but kept the length. Very cost effective mod.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #20
Wick
Wick

I have the Arnotts and am very satisfied, I have had them on my 08 DX for about 3 years and have had no problems at all. I have a mate who has Proggressive Shocks and he is very unimpressed with them. He changed his becauase the factory shocks continually bottomed out when he was 2 up. He has tried every setting on them and still they bottom out. On a recent ride we swapped bikes for an hour and when we stopped he just looked at me and said why didn't I get Air Ride. His wife said the ride was so much better. I must admit whilst I was riding his bike I didn't think the Progressives were anything to rave about. I do have the Progressive front springs and Screaming Eagle Fork oil which made the front end much more responsive.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post

Not sure about all the other statements above except this one, I had Stock suspension for about 50k miles, swapped out to Progressive 440s and its was Night and Day, like a newbike. had a small problem with the "Finish" and they took care of it pronto. So before you start Adding to the bike other then the Actual Suspension I would go with replacing the Actual suspension 1st and go from there.
Chrome problem? How did they "solve it"? Chrome in my rear shocks are starting to mess up

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post
Chrome problem? How did they "solve it"? Chrome in my rear shocks are starting to mess up
they replaced them.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
BT
BiaTches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
Damn, less lean yet?

I installed the progressive springs but kept the length. Very cost effective mod.
I have about 1in of travel up front and back.........makes an interesting ride........
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm always doubtful about owner claims regarding the superiority of a suspension component when compared to clapped out 50,000 mile stock parts. Replace the worn out component with a new stock part and the difference will be night and day. What counts is if the "upgrade" is an improvement over new stock components. I would bet some are, and some are not. Now, fire away.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I'm always doubtful about owner claims regarding the superiority of a suspension component when compared to clapped out 50,000 mile stock parts. Replace the worn out component with a new stock part and the difference will be night and day. What counts is if the "upgrade" is an improvement over new stock components. I would bet some are, and some are not. Now, fire away.
In other words, none of you know what you are talking about.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
Wick
Wick

Mine were replaced at about 1000km because the stock items are $$hit.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #27
DocRick
Registered Full

Have a 12DX. Replace the stock rears with arnotts at about 300 miles. I found the ride comparable to the stockers which i thought were surprisingly good given the stories that i had read about the previous rear stockers.
So that being said, i like my arnotts. I think ride quality is just about as good as stock as far as plushness. Now, the arnotts are subject to being constantly adjustable so sometimes you will be out of the sweet spot and they will surely let you know. For this reason some prefer to have a pressure gauge so you can get a visual for what your best setting is.
After riding with them for a bit you will be able to find the optimal height and stiffness for your liking. As far as riding in the twisties, the arnotts may not be as good as stock for me but the are pretty close. I have no problem backing it into an occasional turn and lighting it up with complete confidence. But when you drop the arnotts down and lower your scoot cheech and chong style......a non air ride setup cannot match that wow factor. they just look so bas ass with that tire tucked up in the fender. then when its time to really ride......you just air up and let it rip. Love em
DocRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
Vambo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy04VRod View Post
LOVE a set of 440's. Shame they dont make them anymore.
They are called 444's now. Better yet for an "all around" suspension.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Quote:
My bike only had 3500 miles when I replaced the suspension (front and rear). The front springs showed more of a ride improvement than the rear shocks did.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
losNRS
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
The single biggest improvement you can make is to install a True-Track linkage. You will be surprised how much movement there is in the rear engine mounts. Sloppy suspension that you think is due to lousy shocks is mostly the engine and swing arm moving around on the rear engine mounts. I put a True-Track linkage on an otherwise stock V-Rod and the difference, even at very moderate speeds on surface streets, was immediately noticeable.
The linkage itself goes over the top of the engine behind the rear cylinder, attaching to pre-existing holes in the top of the engine case and two holes in the frame above and below the left rear engine mount. Installed it is almost invisible. Most of it is hidden behind he pulley cover. It is the cleanest linkage I have seen them make. Well worth the money.

I did the True Track recently and I have to say that the bike (chassis) felt tighter. Now, I live in south Florida and we're pretty much flat landers here. So, I haven't felt what you felt, but I do feel a stiffness in the chassis that I like. Based on my informal testing and seat of the pants.....I like it, and feel that the V handles better now. Another thing I noticed, before upon decel around 40 mph with hands off the bars, I had a slight shimmy/wooble, then it would go away as the speed subsided. With the True -Trac, it hasen't done that anymore. So, I don't know.....just reporting.
losNRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement