Would You Buy Another Harley (other than a V-Rod)? - Page 5 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #61
camaro_corey

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt21022 View Post
I bought my v-Rod when I was single so passenger comfort wasn't an issue. Now that I'm semi-attached again, my girlfriend likes to ride but not in love with the rear seat. I was going to trade it in for a Road Glide or something, she said no. Said it's paid for so if I wait til she's out of school and working more hours, I can just go get another bike. I like the way she thinks!
You found a keeper!

"My bikes loud, I like the attention."

"Riding seasons are for snowmobiles."
camaro_corey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #62
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Now that they got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durdym View Post
no i do not feel harley supported vrods and vrod owners
10, goin' on 11 models years, is support enough.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #63
hometoast
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by durdym View Post
no i do not feel harley supported vrods and vrod owners
I'm with Vambo on this one. What do you consider 'not supporting'? No reach arounds?

When I'm looking to buy again, if HD makes a bike that I like at a price I can live with, I'm buying it. If <Insert Manufacturer> makes what piques my interest and the bike fits me, it'll be a <Insert Manufacturer>.

Really -- people attach to much "policital weight" to buying motorcycles.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #64
pgilliam1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OK - So the count so far is: 11-Yes and 18-No.

(I didn't count the responses that were non-committal)

I think that says alot, especially from people that own one already.
pgilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #65
Philthy
Registered Full

I think HD made a good effort and the dealers let them down. They still do. The V-Rod line was introduced with all kinds of accessories, from saddlebags to windshields, a variety of seats, different reach foot controls and some performance accessories. Dealers didn't really try to direct customers towards V-Rods and sales of accessories will track sales of motorcycles.

What I will criticize HD for is not supplying dealers who seem to know how to sell V-Rods with more V-Rods to sell. Fullerton HD sales staff didn't like the V-Rod and pushed them to the back of the showroom, almost as if they were embarassed to have to display them. Antelope Valley HD sells their V-Rods almost as soon as they show up. Partly the customer base out there, and partly a sales staff that likes them, and Buells (they still do a nice business in used Buells and have a bunch of Buell signage up in the showroom). But Antelope Valley HD can't get more than their annual allotment of V-Rods even though they could sell more than they do now. That is my one criticism of Harley.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #66
luxlamf
Sanctimonious

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I think HD made a good effort and the dealers let them down. They still do. The V-Rod line was introduced with all kinds of accessories, from saddlebags to windshields, a variety of seats, different reach foot controls and some performance accessories. Dealers didn't really try to direct customers towards V-Rods and sales of accessories will track sales of motorcycles.

What I will criticize HD for is not supplying dealers who seem to know how to sell V-Rods with more V-Rods to sell. Fullerton HD sales staff didn't like the V-Rod and pushed them to the back of the showroom, almost as if they were embarassed to have to display them. Antelope Valley HD sells their V-Rods almost as soon as they show up. Partly the customer base out there, and partly a sales staff that likes them, and Buells (they still do a nice business in used Buells and have a bunch of Buell signage up in the showroom). But Antelope Valley HD can't get more than their annual allotment of V-Rods even though they could sell more than they do now. That is my one criticism of Harley.
I will add to that and mention that those of us who bought these bikes early on had a Focker of a time finding a dealership/Service area that not only Would work on them but had the Techs that knew how to work on them. Many do not realize this Forum Exists because There was nowhere to go from 2002-2006 so people like Max and RJ etc... started to learn the bikes inside out and post their findings and results etc... Nothing better then taking your HArley to the Harley dealership and getting Snubbed and dismissed by the people that Actually work for Harley Davidson.

SO all of you that have bought your bikes in the last few years and have had a fine experience and drp it off at the service area and come back and its fixed and they treat you like a human being congratulations, wasnt always that way and many of us don't forget it.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #67
pgilliam1
Registered Full

^ This is exactly what durdym was trying to say about lack of support. There was a couple of issues that should have mandated a recall but were pretty much denied by dealerships.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #68
Rich Moran
Riding the good life

No.

As stated previous and more here, Harley fell flat on their faces with the fact that they do not communicate with owners, specifically with recall notices or issues about the product they produce.

That means that Harley leaves owners on their own to discover what mis-steps happened during development and production once the bikes are released for the market.

It seems like recall & publicized service bulletins about issues are not in their language leaving owners high and dry to figure out what is going wrong.

For the VRSCA and from experience, the wiring harness for the headlight assembly, too short in length and contorted into a turn or bend to the socket causing the wire to stretch and break inside the casing. When your on a mountain road at night and have the wire come apart your deep in kim chee.

I've had this happen more than once & the couple of seconds it takes to realize hey, I am in the dark is enough time to cause a wreck if you are not on a familiar road or a road with traffic.

Yet today, nothing from Harley about the problem or any resource to help leaving the owner high and dry to figure out what to do.

Little grease in the steering head when sold, causes the bearings to go south, the clunk in the front end, no explanation of why that happens and what owners can expect over years of ownership.

Gas gauge does not work properly, can strand you in the boonies if your not up to speed on the issue and still today Harley has no fix for the issue.

There are other issues as well, and may be specific to a single bike, but I have to believe are issues with a fair % of sold machines....such as the rear brake light switch allowing brake fluid to leak from the system until their is no rear brake to be had.

And the dealerhsips say we replace these all the time.

Breaking muffler support brackets continuiously, no resolve.

Freezing steering head lock & freezing ignition system lock along with uneven front tire wear, nada from harley about what to do.

Corrupted flash, where idle speed drops causing the bike to stall at low RPM which can cause issues if trying to make turns in heavy traffic, nothing like a stall in front of oncoming traffic that is doing 45 or 50 MPH.

No notification in th email to owners of record or at least to this owner.

If Harley cannot take initive to advise owners by letter in the mail to owners of record, which they have through their registration system when a bike is bought new, why should anyone make any effort to give them more money for a new product?

The only thing that ever seems to come from anything related to Harley in the mail is HOG begging money to join again.

If they do not care why should the consumer?

There are better deals with used models, let some other chump take the depreciation and problems with repairs, then buy a bike with miles on it because your going to end up building it the way you'd want anyway or restoring a bike to stock if that is your cup of tea.

For me, any Harley bought will be pre 1950 becuase with these machines you can get your yaya's off and work on the whole machine such as electronics to engine rebuild without sucking Harleys hind tit of issues with their new machines.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #69
FastVRJohnny
Banned

Anybody who thinks they have/had it bad with HD dealers and their VR's should own an 1125 Rotax powered Buell.
FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #70
pgilliam1
Registered Full

^ Mr. Moran, you sure get riled for an "old timer". I thought age was supposed to mellow you a bit - LOL. Not that I disagree with you though.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #71
FastVRJohnny
Banned

My next bike will probably be a used Sport Adventure bike...most likely a Buell Ulysses. At least with this bike my feet will touch the ground.

FastVRJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #72
Vambo
Banned

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastVRJohnny View Post
Anybody who thinks they have/had it bad with HD dealers and their VR's should own an 1125 Rotax powered Buell.
Or a Ducati.

Never heard of a single mechanic that couldn't work on a V-Rod. It's all the same shite. Nothing new, nothing special. Hell, half of us here, without formall training, tear them down and put them back together.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #73
SlammedV
Bone Stock A Model

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yes, I currenlty own an 06 Street Glide with over 30,000 miles. Other than general maintenance I have had no issues with the bike and it is very comfortable.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #74
Philthy
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
I will add to that and mention that those of us who bought these bikes early on had a Focker of a time finding a dealership/Service area that not only Would work on them but had the Techs that knew how to work on them. Many do not realize this Forum Exists because There was nowhere to go from 2002-2006 so people like Max and RJ etc... started to learn the bikes inside out and post their findings and results etc... Nothing better then taking your HArley to the Harley dealership and getting Snubbed and dismissed by the people that Actually work for Harley Davidson.

SO all of you that have bought your bikes in the last few years and have had a fine experience and drp it off at the service area and come back and its fixed and they treat you like a human being congratulations, wasnt always that way and many of us don't forget it.
Luxy, those techs do not work for Harley Davidson, they work for the dealer. And it isn't just V-Rod owners who are treated shabby. My first Harley product, actually my very first motorcycle was a 1980 Sportster. I took a little trip to visit a friend in Orange County and the bike would not shut off even if the key was removed. The first dealer I went to in Westminster refused to honor the bike's warranty because I did not buy it from them, never mind Bargers was a couple of hours away. The dealer in Santa Ana was willing to fix the problem, which was a defective ignition switch. Welcome to the Harley fold, eh?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #75
Philthy
Registered Full

Somehow I manage to ride a V-Rod as a day to day bike commuting and touring without all the grief other owners have. The fuel guage problem was fixed, as were the steering head bearings without a penny out of pocket, the ESP picked up the worn swingarm pivot bushing and fork problems that are more the fault of my lovely communities lack of street maintenance than any fault of Harley (even my Beemers have suffered chassis damage here so it's not just Harley). I think the bike is well made, certainly better screwed together than most of the bikes I have seen and often worked on as a tech.
Advertisement