oil leak rear cylinder 2012 Night Rod - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Jacko Ripp
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak rear cylinder 2012 Night Rod

I just got my new Night Rod and noticed some oil coming out from the rear cylinder at its lowest point where it mounts. I only had 180 miles on it when I first noticed the oil. Has anyone had this problem on a new VROD? I took it in to a HD place to get them to fix it and they took pictures of it and said they would send them into Harley Corporate and get back to me. I am here in Europe, Germany to be exact and couldn't believe the S#!t they told me. So now I'm waiting to hear from them to see if they are going to do anything about it. I haven't had the bike but a week and this is happening. I am pissed off! I was going to see if anything was loose to snug it up and possibly stop the leak but, I figured if I did so they would say I messed with it and not fix it under warranty. This is my first VROD and wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to them.
Jacko Ripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Luigit
Sleep is over-rated

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...ht=chinese+hat
Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Jacko Ripp
Registered Full

OK, I read the post you put to reply. What are you saying? I have oil spray in my air box and it is seeping down my back cylinder so it looks like its a leak around the bottom it? I haven't really rode it hard just to 70 MPH. A bike with less than 200 miles will build up that much oil to leak down and look like a oil leak at the base of the cylinder?
Jacko Ripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Campingout
Registered Full

well, that is exactly what happened to me.

Took it in to get tire replaced and during walk around he noticed oil around the cylinder base gasket. So scheduled to take it back in, and if necessary, replace the cylinder base gasket. When I took it back, they found that it was just a leak down to the bottom of the (front on mine) cylinder from the breather. see other posts on breather leaking oil.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
doberman66
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Same thing on my '08. Tightened up the connection to the breather tube and it went away. Not surprising on a new bike as I had replaced the, IMHO, crappy stock clamp with a new aircraft clamp that had expanded and loosened with engine heat.
doberman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
CDADDYV
Registered Full

I have the same issue with my 2012 V-ROD Muscle. Dropped it off at the dealer today. Oil was running down the side when I got to the dealer. They will be replacing the gasket. 3,232 miles on it at the time of failure. Good luck!

CDADDYV
CDADDYV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Dr Dave
Buy American!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDADDYV View Post
I have the same issue with my 2012 V-ROD Muscle. Dropped it off at the dealer today. Oil was running down the side when I got to the dealer. They will be replacing the gasket. 3,232 miles on it at the time of failure. Good luck!

CDADDYV

Ride it like your life depended on it.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Imallory
Registered Full

Oil leaks

I have had the same problem with my 2012 night rod. The base of the rear cylinder was leaking and the dealership took the entire motor apart and replaced all the gaskets. Then a month later it was leaking oil again they said it was the intake this time. They put a die in the oil to find the leak. So it has been in the shop 3 times for an oil leak and a total of almost 60 days. I got it back this past Friday the 30th Saturday the 1st of December I noticed it leaking coolant. (I rode it a mile home from the dealer and parked it in the garage) the dealer came and pick it up becaus when I started the bike it was smoking badly and stunk like burning oil and fuel. I told them I wanted my money back after all the problems I am done with this bike. They keep saying they will fix it but I honestly just want the money back. I'm a huge Harley fan an will remain one I just don't want this bike.. What do I do?
Imallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
mstrobes
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imallory View Post
I have had the same problem with my 2012 night rod. The base of the rear cylinder was leaking and the dealership took the entire motor apart and replaced all the gaskets. Then a month later it was leaking oil again they said it was the intake this time. They put a die in the oil to find the leak. So it has been in the shop 3 times for an oil leak and a total of almost 60 days. I got it back this past Friday the 30th Saturday the 1st of December I noticed it leaking coolant. (I rode it a mile home from the dealer and parked it in the garage) the dealer came and pick it up becaus when I started the bike it was smoking badly and stunk like burning oil and fuel. I told them I wanted my money back after all the problems I am done with this bike. They keep saying they will fix it but I honestly just want the money back. I'm a huge Harley fan an will remain one I just don't want this bike.. What do I do?
lemon law
mstrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Imallory
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrobes View Post
lemon law
Do you think calling Harley corporate will get me anywhere? My next step was to get an attorney.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Imallory
Registered Full

Well I called corporate customer service. They are sarcastic a**holes.... I explained the situation to they guy and when I was done he had me explain it again because he didn't understand. Then he says "so you say it meets some criteria for some kind of law?"
Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
net4u@aol.com
Registered Full

Hey there,

sorry to hear about your oil leak -
I have read somewhere that the oil leak comes from the air filter compartment - breather compartment - somehow the oil flows in to the breather and them apparently it looks like it is leaking from the cylinders? is that the issue you have?

Just thought I'd mention this

bet of luck

Philipp
net4u@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement