I gotta Admit, There is a VRSCF that aint Bad.... - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #31
harleynurse
caferacer
 
harleynurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mason-Dixon Line
Posts: 5,617
Images: 30
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
Would not have the Guts to do so, they released a shite Painted version for the 10th anniv model.
Nope the greatness that once was is forever gone, like your youth, its gone and it jus keeps getting worse.
Ive found a 2002 VR garaged with less then 1000 miles...and i might get it for a few bucks.
__________________
cafe-racer ,LANE~SPLITTER. Century rider x2.
07 NRS~ California with over 50,000 miles.
07 NRS~ Nevada with over 50,000 miles (FOR SALE).
03VRSCA sold after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #32
luxlamf
Sanctimonious
 
luxlamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 44,117
Images: 105
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
So now you are comparing it to a 999? LOL!

The XLCR Sportster and original Night Train are also sought after. 50HP, reliable as Fox News and both handled like a Ford Pinto. Your A in that league?
But 999 guys are guy "Loyal" themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 6.05.20 PM.png
Views:	332
Size:	712.9 KB
ID:	192012  
__________________
I Ride My Bike To Trailer Rallies.
luxlamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #33
BT
I lift heavy things.
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Planet Australia
Posts: 11,149
Images: 15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yawn.
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #34
Muscled_up
Registered Full
 
Muscled_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queensland
Posts: 430
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heard on grapevine HD aircooled are having lots of issues with EPA in USA.

Now Hd has purchased a engine off Honda to put in future cycles next year or two so watch this space soon enough HD will have Radiators mounted on all there bikes.
__________________
2009 Vivid Black

167 RWHP
103 FT LB


Garrett GT25 Ball Bearing Turbo
Custom Built Headers
Custom Built Exhaust
Barnett HD Clutch
Dynojet Quickshifter
SMT Billet Hand Grips,Pegs,Shifter
BPP Belt Guard
440 Progressives
Metzelers
RRC Screen
Custom Air Brushing on Tank
Custom Tank Badges
Joker Machine controls,mirrors and mini LEDs


Gloss Black Powder Coating on:
Peg hangers
Brake and Gear arms
Back Rack
Wheels
Pulley & Cush Drive

Saddle Bags When travelling
Muscled_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #35
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscled_up View Post
Heard on grapevine HD aircooled are having lots of issues with EPA in USA.

Now Hd has purchased a engine off Honda to put in future cycles next year or two so watch this space soon enough HD will have Radiators mounted on all there bikes.
LMFAO!!!!!

The forum was absolutely due a good rumor thread.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #36
Muscled_up
Registered Full
 
Muscled_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queensland
Posts: 430
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
LMFAO!!!!!

The forum was absolutely due a good rumor thread.
Rumour or not it maybe called " fury"ous or something time will tell
__________________
2009 Vivid Black

167 RWHP
103 FT LB


Garrett GT25 Ball Bearing Turbo
Custom Built Headers
Custom Built Exhaust
Barnett HD Clutch
Dynojet Quickshifter
SMT Billet Hand Grips,Pegs,Shifter
BPP Belt Guard
440 Progressives
Metzelers
RRC Screen
Custom Air Brushing on Tank
Custom Tank Badges
Joker Machine controls,mirrors and mini LEDs


Gloss Black Powder Coating on:
Peg hangers
Brake and Gear arms
Back Rack
Wheels
Pulley & Cush Drive

Saddle Bags When travelling
Muscled_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #37
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscled_up View Post
Rumour or not it maybe called " fury"ous or something time will tell
I have an 01 V-Rod I'll sell ya. Does 10's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
Not at all, didn't say mine was desirable, justs stating even Co's like Ducati and BMW have their people who dismiss change.
999's get high dollars now because Ducati stopped making them, had to put them On sale to get rid if them and fired the designer.
.


What was all the fuss. A bit boxy and too closed in but otherwise just another sport bike?
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #38
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas3car View Post
OK I am lost here about the whole VRSC bagger. its not a bagger platform, Motor trans any of it. Its like asking a Tundra to be a truck. Its never going to happen. At best it can act like one maybe even look like one but will never be one. Ask any guy with a F350 Powerstroker duallie 4x4. Not even close.
I don't know why you would say that. If you ride other manufacturers touring bikes you find the power delivery and other characteristics of the V-Rod engine and drive line are closer to what the rest of the world rides than anything else HD makes. One of the reasons I liked the V-Rod so much is that it has a very German character to it, very much like my BMWs in the way it goes about it's business, only even more refined than the BMW twins I cross shopped. It would actually be a superb touring bike.

The rest of the world doesn't putz down a straight flat freeway at 75-80 mph with the stereo blaring country western "music" and call that "touring". Touring means riding high mountain passes and roads hugging steep coastal cliffs where a bike has to be able to accelerate, turn and stop while still bringing everything along, and do all of this sometimes at speeds beyond anything a Harley touring bike is capable of. You should take a vacation in Europe and do some driving of cars and riding of bikes. If you haven't been over there you don't know what cars and bikes are expected to be able to do on public roads. It is nothing like the US. After a week on the road there you will understand why the rest of the world builds vehicles the way they do, and why US vehicles are not often popular outside the US.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #39
luxlamf
Sanctimonious
 
luxlamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 44,117
Images: 105
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I don't know why you would say that. If you ride other manufacturers touring bikes you find the power delivery and other characteristics of the V-Rod engine and drive line are closer to what the rest of the world rides than anything else HD makes. One of the reasons I liked the V-Rod so much is that it has a very German character to it, very much like my BMWs in the way it goes about it's business, only even more refined than the BMW twins I cross shopped. It would actually be a superb touring bike.

The rest of the world doesn't putz down a straight flat freeway at 75-80 mph with the stereo blaring country western "music" and call that "touring". Touring means riding high mountain passes and roads hugging steep coastal cliffs where a bike has to be able to accelerate, turn and stop while still bringing everything alone, and do all of this sometimes at speeds beyond anything a Harley touring bike is capable of.
"Harley Touring" is a different animal, It consists of driving flat interstates going from 1 HD dealership to another. I believe HD itself created this also by requiring new franchises/Dealerships to be located near interstates if I am not mistaken. Create the Bike, The Lifestyle and then create the routes traveled on said bikes. Great way to make $$$
__________________
I Ride My Bike To Trailer Rallies.
luxlamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
Philthy
Registered Full
 
Philthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 9,332
Images: 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep, then HOG sends you a "Touring Handbook" which isn't much more than a Rand McNalley road atlas with all the HD dealerships noted on the map pages, and contact info provided below. Real touring bikes have a place for a tank bag with a clear map holder on top so you can fold a map up to show your route and place it right in front of you for quick reference on the fly. That's touring, not having to stop to fish a big Rand McNalley out of the saddle bag for a stationary map study.
__________________
The pilot is always the first person at the scene of the crash.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #41
Ear2Ear
FFFWD
 
Ear2Ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 764
Images: 28
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I don't know why you would say that. If you ride other manufacturers touring bikes you find the power delivery and other characteristics of the V-Rod engine and drive line are closer to what the rest of the world rides than anything else HD makes. One of the reasons I liked the V-Rod so much is that it has a very German character to it, very much like my BMWs in the way it goes about it's business, only even more refined than the BMW twins I cross shopped. It would actually be a superb touring bike.

The rest of the world doesn't putz down a straight flat freeway at 75-80 mph with the stereo blaring country western "music" and call that "touring". Touring means riding high mountain passes and roads hugging steep coastal cliffs where a bike has to be able to accelerate, turn and stop while still bringing everything along, and do all of this sometimes at speeds beyond anything a Harley touring bike is capable of. You should take a vacation in Europe and do some driving of cars and riding of bikes. If you haven't been over there you don't know what cars and bikes are expected to be able to do on public roads. It is nothing like the US. After a week on the road there you will understand why the rest of the world builds vehicles the way they do, and why US vehicles are not often popular outside the US.


Here's my VRSCF as it generally looks when riding about town...



And here's my VRSCF as it looked when I toured PCH this past August (3600 miles from San Diego, CA to Astoria, OR and back)...





and next to some other 'touring' bikes in Eureka, CA...



I talked to many a biker on that trip about taking on such a tour on a V-Rod. Even with a passenger and 100 lbs. of gear I always felt like I had plenty of power to pass, and I wasn't exactly pussy footing around on those twisty coastal and canyon roads. Ask lux. I rode with him through the canyons above Malibu the morning of our last day. Every other biker I chatted with was intrigued, and impressed, and many were stoked to see a V-Rod loaded up like I had it.

Of course, I went to some extra lengths to make my bike a little more tour worthy... saddlebags, tank bag, fork bag, loaner touring seat from Bitchin, custom backrest with aftermarket (Jardine) luggage rack and sissy bar, floorboards for my passenger, oversize (+4") windshield replacement from Rifle for the stock HD hardware with custom application of black vinyl on the lower section, extended windshield mounting posts to make the windshield stand up straighter, a 9V power point to keep my iPhone constantly charged on its handlebar mount for Google maps and bluetooth music streaming into our intercom system, etc.

Quite honestly, I kinda wanted to do that trip on a V-Rod partially just to know it could be done, and partially 'cause I knew it'd be fun. I was right on both counts.


Here's my bike pictured with lux's bike, above Malibu (Palos Verde peninsula and Catalina in the background)...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eureka.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	192057   Click image for larger version

Name:	face rock.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	192058  
__________________
.
2012 VRSCF: Bassani B1 slip-ons, K&N, topless, T-Max dynoed by TRASK, Progressive 440's, ISO grips & pegs, H-D Muscle saddlebags w/welded nuts mod (when traveling), BICEP radiator armor/fork badges/axle caps, RRC visor over HIDs w/RJ mod, Dutch Custom LED, reduced-reach handlebars, +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling), Bitchin Seat - PICS

2003 Ducati 999 Track Bike
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #42
FABSTER
King of High C's!
 
FABSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,774
Images: 65
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlamf View Post
"Harley Touring" is a different animal, It consists of driving flat interstates going from 1 HD dealership to another. I believe HD itself created this also by requiring new franchises/Dealerships to be located near interstates if I am not mistaken. Create the Bike, The Lifestyle and then create the routes traveled on said bikes. Great way to make $$$
Makes total and absolute sense
__________________

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #43
Vambo
Banned
 
Vambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,891
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
"A touring motorcycle is a type of motorcycle designed for touring. Although any motorcycle can be used for this purpose, manufacturers have developed specific models designed to address the particular needs of these riders. Touring motorcycles commonly have large displacement fairings and windshields that offer a high degree of weather and wind protection, large-capacity fuel tanks for long ranges between fill-ups, engines with a great deal of low-end horsepower, and a more relaxed, upright seating position than sport bikes. These motorcycles can be further divided into multiple sub-categories, which are commonly used terms within the motorcycle industry."

tour·ing (trng)
n.
Travel, as on a bicycle or on skis, for pleasure rather than competition.
Vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #44
Ear2Ear
FFFWD
 
Ear2Ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 764
Images: 28
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo View Post
"A touring motorcycle is a type of motorcycle designed for touring. Although any motorcycle can be used for this purpose, manufacturers have developed specific models designed to address the particular needs of these riders. Touring motorcycles commonly have large displacement fairings and windshields that offer a high degree of weather and wind protection, large-capacity fuel tanks for long ranges between fill-ups, engines with a great deal of low-end horsepower, and a more relaxed, upright seating position than sport bikes. These motorcycles can be further divided into multiple sub-categories, which are commonly used terms within the motorcycle industry."

tour·ing (trng)
n.
Travel, as on a bicycle or on skis, for pleasure rather than competition.
Love it! So, since Wikipedia only lists sub-categories as "Full-dress Tourer," "Adventure Tourer," and "Sport Tourer," perhaps we should add the V-Rod to a new category "Power-Cruiser Tourer"?
__________________
.
2012 VRSCF: Bassani B1 slip-ons, K&N, topless, T-Max dynoed by TRASK, Progressive 440's, ISO grips & pegs, H-D Muscle saddlebags w/welded nuts mod (when traveling), BICEP radiator armor/fork badges/axle caps, RRC visor over HIDs w/RJ mod, Dutch Custom LED, reduced-reach handlebars, +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling), Bitchin Seat - PICS

2003 Ducati 999 Track Bike
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #45
luxlamf
Sanctimonious
 
luxlamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 44,117
Images: 105
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ear2Ear View Post


Here's my VRSCF as it generally looks when riding about town...



And here's my VRSCF as it looked when I toured PCH this past August (3600 miles from San Diego, CA to Astoria, OR and back)...





and next to some other 'touring' bikes in Eureka, CA...



I talked to many a biker on that trip about taking on such a tour on a V-Rod. Even with a passenger and 100 lbs. of gear I always felt like I had plenty of power to pass, and I wasn't exactly pussy footing around on those twisty coastal and canyon roads. Ask lux. I rode with him through the canyons above Malibu the morning of our last day. Every other biker I chatted with was intrigued, and impressed, and many were stoked to see a V-Rod loaded up like I had it.

Of course, I went to some extra lengths to make my bike a little more tour worthy... saddlebags, tank bag, fork bag, loaner touring seat from Bitchin, custom backrest with aftermarket (Jardine) luggage rack and sissy bar, floorboards for my passenger, oversize (+4") windshield replacement from Rifle for the stock HD hardware with custom application of black vinyl on the lower section, extended windshield mounting posts to make the windshield stand up straighter, a 9V power point to keep my iPhone constantly charged on its handlebar mount for Google maps and bluetooth music streaming into our intercom system, etc.

Quite honestly, I kinda wanted to do that trip on a V-Rod partially just to know it could be done, and partially 'cause I knew it'd be fun. I was right on both counts.


Here's my bike pictured with lux's bike, above Malibu (Palos Verde peninsula and Catalina in the background)...

You bike was designed to be a HD Touring bike, thats why it ooks Better with BAgs on it
__________________
I Ride My Bike To Trailer Rallies.
luxlamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum