2012 New to me V-Rod - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Mr Bill
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Z06, it was a "leftover", so new, I think it had 3 miles on it. So, I'm in "breakin" mode for awhile. What is everbody using for a lift? I have the sears yellow one, which worked ok for the glide. It looks like the oil pan may be just a little below the frame rails. Surely no one jacks one up with pressure on the pan! What is the best method? Thanks, Bill
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
knight rod rob
Registered Full

congrats from me also bill.Hey if u keep stock exhaust for awhile,because i still have mine
the front pipe that comes out of the front cylinder and runs down along the lower frame
the exhaust hits it.I have had harley replace this part of the frame and modify the exh pipe.Basically they had to dent it to keep it from hitting.You can hear it when taking off.
kind of a knock.If you get down and look under it u may see it hitting,soon it will rust.After that no other problems,and dont use syn 3 oil.My bike used it.Mobil one works
best for the way I ride,no oil consuption.

ride safe man,the rod.
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
jtowles
Registered Full

Lift Problem

Mr.Bill, I noticed that with mine as well. I have a 2012 NRS... The jack I have is a high end K&L Supply sissor jack that I had bought and used for all my other bikes, but don't think that I will be able to use it for my Night Rod as is.. Might have to cut me some wood support spacers or use frame rail protectors or something like that to shim it first. For now my old metal oil drip pan would not work,(bike sits too low) so I bought one of those new black HD oil collection, drip pan container combo, which works great by the way, and the best part is that it cost less than 30 bucks, and slides nicely under the bike while on the side stand. I might end up having to go to a "full on" floor mounted bike lift at some point. For now though, if I need to get the wheels off the floor for something, then she's going back to the dealer for that work. Oil changes and minor taskings, I can handle myself though. By the way, I'm 47 and traded an '08 Ultra for my Vrod. I had alot of trouble out of my Ultra during the time I had it, including having to have the MOCO replace the engine once. I finally got tired of it and decided to give the Vrod a shot, and since I have had my bike,(bought it new with 7 miles in March) I have never had to take it in to the shop for engine problems. Not as comfortable, but not as many headaches either. Not a bad trade off in my opinion. jtowles..
jtowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
Mr Bill
Registered Full

I cut some pcs. of carpet and put them on the jack rails where they meet the frame rails. Takes all or any pressure off the oil pan. Ride safe.
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Dereiter
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Picked up my anniversary model V today. What a differance from the Roadglide I traded!! A great ride home, even though it was a little cool here in W. Ky. Looking forward to learning alot from the forum. Ride safe.
Congrats!
2011 Honda CBR 1000RR Repsol
Dereiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rod rob View Post
congrats from me also bill.Hey if u keep stock exhaust for awhile,because i still have mine
the front pipe that comes out of the front cylinder and runs down along the lower frame
the exhaust hits it.I have had harley replace this part of the frame and modify the exh pipe.Basically they had to dent it to keep it from hitting.You can hear it when taking off.
kind of a knock.If you get down and look under it u may see it hitting,soon it will rust.After that no other problems,and dont use syn 3 oil.My bike used it.Mobil one works
best for the way I ride,no oil consuption.

ride safe man,the rod.
Funny you mention the exhaust. Mine was the same so I modified it with a depression on the bottom of the pipe. Left front pan screw was hitting the left rail. Had to shift the engine. Brand new 2013 with 200 miles when I noticed it. All good now.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Whip65
Registered Full

Welcome Mr Bill I also am new to the V-Rod family, just gotta 2013 Night Rod Special from my wife for Christmas. Can't wait til spring.
Whip65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement