Fuel Pump Failure Questions - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
BP03

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump Failure Questions

Hey guys...Not an owner yet...Was going to test ride an 06 Night Rod tomorrow afternoon and if all went while finish up everything to take it home on Monday/Tuesday, Found a good looking bike with a good price(for my area)...One problem, found out today from the dealer it has a busted fuel pump.

According to my searches on this forum this doesn't seem all too rare.. But I have a two questions...If the fuel pump fails, do other parts normally fail with it - Or can there be any other side effects? I have only had carb'd bikes and the fuel pump should serve the same function, but hey, you never know, lol. The bike only has 6500 miles

Also from what I have researched (I couldn't get much an answer from the dealer, besides "its going to take a while to get it in") that Harley is backordered, backed up, whatever, etc, on these fuel pumps.. Does anyone happen to know any more about this?

Hoping it will be sooner rather than later, I leave for Germany in about a week and a half and was looking forward to bringing it home by next week, lol.. Thanks!
BP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Welcome!
6500 miles is quite early for a fuel pump failure. HD will want to sell you the whole fuel flange assembly, for many $$. Has anyone tested the fuel pressure, or looked for the flange problem?(visible mist in the tank, while running the engine?)
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
BP03

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
Welcome!
6500 miles is quite early for a fuel pump failure. HD will want to sell you the whole fuel flange assembly, for many $$. Has anyone tested the fuel pressure, or looked for the flange problem?(visible mist in the tank, while running the engine?)
Thanks for the reply. The dealer is doing all of it before I finish the sale (If the test ride goes well and I decide too...), so hopefully they are doing all that, lol.

I just read some things saying sometimes they fail with certain mods, but all it has is Bub Jug Huggers...
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
HoneyB
Pat (Patrick!)

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP03 View Post

I just read some things saying sometimes they fail with certain mods,
I must have missed that thread, in the 5+ years that I have been here!
Tiger Racing belt guards, Pondo's pivot bolt covers & 'V' valve stem caps, Tyson's black riser and foot levers, Metzler ME 880's, black 5 spoke '08D wheels and rear pulley, Mini LED rear signals, Progressive suspension, Jeannie Guardian Bell!(so far!)

1978 Honda XL350 (w/4300 miles on it!)

Jedi:"It's free to be a member, but it'll cost your ass in the end..."
HoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
BP03

Well it seems like some bikes that are more built have the failures...I don't know probably unrelated, and definitely unrelated to me...nevermind lol
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
stever975
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
.......I have a two questions...If the fuel pump fails, do other parts normally fail with it - Or can there be any other side effects? I have only had carb'd bikes and the fuel pump should serve the same function ...
Fuel pumps for carbs are very different from fuel pumps for electrical injection systems. Like those in most fuel injected engines, the VRSC fuel pump runs continuously while the engine is running (excess fuel is returned to the tank from the pressure regulator). Fuel is the pump motor coolant so a reserve quantity in the tank is required to avoid fuel pump damage. The most common reason for fuel pump failure is running low or out of fuel. A less common culprit is the "suction-side" filter (or fuel pick up sock) collapse or clogging that will cause pump starvation (same as running out of fuel). The suction side filter comes with a new fuel pump but the pressure side filter (75169-01 or 75169-07, depending on model) should be replaced as well.

I agree that the fuel pressure should be tested as well as the suction and pressure side filters if the pressure is low but the "fuel flange misting" that was a problem for some of the earlier bikes ('03 and '04 mostly) isn't likely for '07 and newer VRSC bikes.

Quote:
Also from what I have researched (I couldn't get much an answer from the dealer, besides "its going to take a while to get it in") that Harley is backordered, backed up, whatever, etc, on these fuel pumps.. Does anyone happen to know any more about this? ...
I can't help with the part availability issue.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement