1250cc heads. How much more can they flow - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Hi-Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
vrunner79
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1250cc heads. How much more can they flow

Over the winter my project is to install my BOSS NOSS system but talking to a few people it's been said I can make a big power change on head work. I already have Screamin Eagle II cams installed SO does anyone know what the heads flow with the cams & how much more can I flow? From what I read the factory heads are already C & C ported?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Easy answer is YES, you can make them flow much better. How much more power you can get varries from bike to bike, supporting mods, tune, ect. The heads are definatly not CNC from factory. (Only the SE heads were CNC) The 08 and later 1250cc heads are all sand cast.

I think Fitzgerald still offers CNC headwork, you will have to contact them to inquire about potential gains. You will probably also a require larger throttle body. With shipping, throttle body, tune and everything, you are probably looking in the $3k range for maybe 10-20 hp gain.
WhosUrBuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
rsc
Killer Service Inc.

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
600-800 for head work for 3-5 hp not worth it.

just add the NOS and be done.

Keep the 53 mm TB's for now.

if you go BB the go to 58's

2012 Ultra Classic

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion!
You're merely over-educated beyond your ability to think!

Malcomx" It turns out that the truth is pretty good protection."

V-rod mechanics 101:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rscrod

The opinions expressed here are solely those of the original author. These opinions do not represent those of KSI-LLC.com / Killer Service and Innovations, LLC
rsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Demthios
To boost or not??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I agree with RSC on this one, even though with my big bore I port polished and had over sized valves put in, but if your just putting in NOS no sense it stripping the motor to just have head work done.

64mm Throttle body?!? What the head would he need that for?? Most that big bore them only go up to 58mm.
Demthios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demthios View Post
I agree with RSC on this one, even though with my big bore I port polished and had over sized valves put in, but if your just putting in NOS no sense it stripping the motor to just have head work done.

64mm Throttle body?!? What the head would he need that for?? Most that big bore them only go up to 58mm.
Go big or go home right? The 58mm destroyer tb would probably be fine, but 64mm just sounds fun

What size BB did you do? Any chance you did a before and after dyno on your P&P ? I still have the stock 53mm on my 1350.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee View Post
Go big or go home right? The 58mm destroyer tb would probably be fine, but 64mm just sounds fun

What size BB did you do? Any chance you did a before and after dyno on your P&P ? I still have the stock 53mm on my 1350.
That's like putting a Dominator carb on a small block Chevy. Bigger is not better. You might make more peak hp, but torque and driveability will suck.

In loving memory of Betty Boost! 1929-1996
Winner of the 2012 Midwest Thunder7 Johnny Hotfoot Award... Best Rat Bike!

LL Cool K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Cool K View Post
That's like putting a Dominator carb on a small block Chevy. Bigger is not better. You might make more peak hp, but torque and driveability will suck.
69 Camaro with small block with a 1050 dominator carb. Bracket car and runs amazing.

Since he is running nitrous, the larger tb may be better. I cant tell you how many small block nitrous motors I have seen running up to 1400cc carbs. (usually in the 1050-1100 range though).
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
vrunner79
Registered Full

Few people I talked to the 53mm TB's at full sing don't max out on flow. with nitrous you don't need a bigger TB (Or carbs for some) because N2O is it's own source of oxygen. If your primarly racing were your wide open more then part throttle I can see bigger TB's being a advantage. As for head work I would of hoped the heads would be C & C ported then casted. Maybe just removing them and polishing the ports might give good results?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Quote:
69 Camaro with small block with a 1050 dominator carb. Bracket car and runs amazing.

Since he is running nitrous, the larger tb may be better. I cant tell you how many small block nitrous motors I have seen running up to 1400cc carbs. (usually in the 1050-1100 range though).
Don't show me no race car... he rides on the street. You gotta be kidding me.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
vrunner79
Registered Full

Ever notice how those 1000-1400 cc carbs on small blocks idle like crap too. you have to "burp" the throttle to keep it running. I think even Big Bore kits you can get away with the 53mm . For the cost of heads a Big Bore might give better results for the cost
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

It is so easy to overcarbuerate. When I built the 355 for my truck, I originally had a Holley 780 carb... ran strong, but was sort of flat in the mid-range. I downsized it to a 670 Street Avenger, and the motor came alive.

If I was building a motor for my V, since I have an 1130, I'd go with my original plan to use a Destroyer crank, CP pistons at a 1250 bore, and have a 1302. I sold all the parts when I went turbo, but that's what I'd do.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
vrunner79
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Cool K View Post
It is so easy to overcarbuerate. When I built the 355 for my truck, I originally had a Holley 780 carb... ran strong, but was sort of flat in the mid-range. I downsized it to a 670 Street Avenger, and the motor came alive.

If I was building a motor for my V, since I have an 1130, I'd go with my original plan to use a Destroyer crank, CP pistons at a 1250 bore, and have a 1302. I sold all the parts when I went turbo, but that's what I'd do.
So a 1250 with a Destroyer crank and CP pistons would be??
Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Those oversized TBs from Vreelands are for track only anf for their equally obscene BB motors (LOL) not for the street!

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
WhosUrBuddiee
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABSTER View Post
Those oversized TBs from Vreelands are for track only anf for their equally obscene BB motors (LOL) not for the street!
I heard him start up one of his 1402 BBs with that massive TB when I was at Vreelands. It was deafening.... but sexy all at the same time.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
FABSTER
King of High C's!

Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
I heard him start up one of his 1402 BBs with that massive TB when I was at Vreelands. It was deafening.... but sexy all at the same time.
What?!?!

FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement